Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

Let's use this thread to voice issues that members come up with to either laud, complain or otherwise improve how we do things around here. I think it could be a good place to voice issues of concern. For instance, I think it counter-productive to engage in too many private conversations where members agree to meet for fishing. We have PM messages on the site to accommotdate that. Not that I get all upset but we are obliged to remember that some threads are read by hundreds of surfcasters who have come here to be informed or entertained. Don't remind me because I know that I am as bad as any of yuz when it comes to private conversations. Just be conscious of our mission, is all.

You are welcome to voice your concerns here.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

I posted a question here for the first time less than two months ago, and only after reading these threads for, um, quite a while. I finally screwed up my courage to join in and post a question and was relieved to feel welcomed right away. (I teach music to teens and understand the intimidation they sometimes feel better now that I am in the position of a beginner).
Judging from the views that some of the threads have, there are many more reading who do not post, and perhaps only because they know they would be talking to someone who "wrote the book(s)" on surfcasting. I certainly feel that way, but even when there is a lull in posting (full moon?) on the site, I appreciate that we get to have a running conversation with you...
All that to say that I like the level of discourse as is...
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
SS/Veteran

My pet peave on policy this site is that you have a protocol that questions should go to Frank and no one else reply until he does. If you are going to have a policy or protocol then, it behoves us to follow it and it behoves the moderator to enforce it.

I used to follow four fishing websites a few years ago. One crashed and burned because it had rules but no moderator would enforce them Another is about to go west because it has rules and they are not enforced or one moderator tries and another overules him.

If you are not going to enforce the rules, you'r are better off to drop them. Just my $0.02 cents
BillH
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 PM

I agree that folks should respect the protocols, but please don't drop the Frank answers first protocol, even if it is sometimes disregarded. Wouldnt strict enforcement require someone to monitor the site 24/7, as people post at all hours?

And, as anyone who posts on this site knows, part of what makes it unique is that we all get to have what I imagine to be a private Q&A with Frank that multitudes are listening in on before they all join in too.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Senior Fellow

As much as I respect everybody that plays here and have respect for protocol I think the forum is also a place for friends to share ideas and experiences. I also think that most of us respect you, Frank, as a great striper fisherman and some of us as a great author. The thing that would be a shame is to discourage folks from participating because they are intimidated by responces --- or rules.

For me, (naturally rude -- from Philly), having grown up learning that rules were made to be broken, you know that I'll not put a sock in it -- but one measure of the success of your forum should be how many new participants that you attract. You have a fine collection of some pretty fair fishermen here -- and some who are just pretty --- but like every organization your real (or reel) success is based upon new members, preferably young and strong.

Laws are required --- but sometimes the only purpose is to fatten the wallets of lawyers. Rules are required as well --- but shouldn't be used to fatten any egos. Damned few of us can be as smart as Mule or talented as Bill --- and it is unlikely that any of us can write as well as you --- I hope that you use your forum to share your knowledge and spread the wealth to help fortify a dying sport.

I'll be sending back some stories from the Outer Banks --- where I'll be fishing with some of the goodliest folks on the earth in one of the goodliest places on the earth. We'll be doin a little drummin ---- for this stripah crowd!

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
My pet peave on policy this site is that you have a protocol that questions should go to Frank and no one else reply until he does. If you are going to have a policy or protocol then, it behoves us to follow it and it behoves the moderator to enforce it.

I used to follow four fishing websites a few years ago. One crashed and burned because it had rules but no moderator would enforce them Another is about to go west because it has rules and they are not enforced or one moderator tries and another overules him.

If you are not going to enforce the rules, you'r are better off to drop them. Just my $0.02 cents
BillH
Bill,
If I can jump in here... I was kinda charged with moderating this forum due to I guess my following it so closely. Due to some changes in my life, I dont devote the time I used to doing that (hopefully to change very soon). So I have been slacking off. However, any moderator can "enforce the rules", but many are reluctant to do so in Franks forum, as I was when I first became one. Frank and I have an understanding, I know how he feels about some posts, and will ask before I do anything as far as enforceing anything thats posted, unless it's blatent. You have to remember, as much as Frank and I joke about making the "big bucks", it's all volunteer. If something is brought to my attention, I do check it out, as you know.
The protocols were not set up by Frank, but rather Bob D'Amico the owner. He felt it would make it easier for Frank to keep track of things, which I believe it does.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
SS/Veteran

So if I were in charge of enforcing the protocols this is what I would do:

Someone asks a question, and a few people butt in and answer before Frank. Then a pissing war starts with people saying the responders should follow the protocols.

Delete those posts, but save them. Except for the pissing war posts - delete those permanently.

When Frank answers the question, repost those posts after Frank's response. That way everyone is happy and we still get to read the sometimes very relevant posts that get deleted.

Ragman I'm not saying this is or isn't what you already try to do, I'm just saying it's how I would do it if I got paid the big bucks to moderate this forum.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM

I agree w Andrew's suggestion.....
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Senior Fellow

My suggestion is that Rags get his butt down to the Carolinas so we can do some souther style feeshin!!!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I think the protocols should be observed the way they were intended. But once a person breaks them that does not mean others are free to chime in. If Mister Smarty has not responded yet, each person who posts is breaking the protocols. But that does not mean we should string up the poor sonofavitch if he forgot where he was. It should not be considered a capitol offense. Similarly, if a person has his post taken down because of the break, that person should not go into orbit. We should try to keep it light, informal. Suppose -- now shut up and listen -- you stop at a gin mill and go in using the Ladies Entrance. The bartender does not send you back outside and make you use the other door. So it is with stripersurf.con.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Im guilty of breaking the protocols once or twice here. The powers that be did a good job of keeping me in check, and I reposted the same response I had before it was removed. No skin off my back. It ain't rocket surgery or anything to get upset about for sure.

I'm very guilty of this, but we seem to go off topic a bit from time to time.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
SS/Veteran

The name of the forum is "Ask Frank" and he should have total control of the answering of questions. Not ask Joe, Jim, or Stanley,...It's "Ask Frank".

I go by the same name (Frank)..but it would be pretty easy to pick out any impostors

Most of the time there has been excited members who jump ahead and post first. And one valuable, but unruly member, who kept doing it

In this modern day classroom there needs to be someone at the head of the class. Or put another way,..a good example I heard on the radio the other day..what if you were flying in an airplane and any of the 200 passengers decides that he wants to take control of the airplane.

The pilot needs 100% control over the plane..and no one else

Otherwise the quality of the forum will crash and burn
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
So if I were in charge of enforcing the protocols this is what I would do:

Someone asks a question, and a few people butt in and answer before Frank. Then a pissing war starts with people saying the responders should follow the protocols.

Delete those posts, but save them. Except for the pissing war posts - delete those permanently.

When Frank answers the question, repost those posts after Frank's response. That way everyone is happy and we still get to read the sometimes very relevant posts that get deleted.

Ragman I'm not saying this is or isn't what you already try to do, I'm just saying it's how I would do it if I got paid the big bucks to moderate this forum.
Andrew,
I learned long ago to "soft delete" posts (other moderators can view them) rather than "hard delete" (gone forever) after a pissing war started in the Arnold Laine thread. I deleted the posts and neither Frank nor anyone else couldn't view them, which kinda miffed him off... Thus, when a post is deleted, you can see it was deleted and by whom, but not the post. They can be restored anytime, but I dont think they can be moved to after Frank answered the question. Your response is a good idea, but dont think it could be done and follow the line of the responses...
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
My suggestion is that Rags get his butt down to the Carolinas so we can do some souther style feeshin!!!!
Might be down there after next week Al, and closer to the NC border than I thought before...
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Im guilty of breaking the protocols once or twice here. The powers that be did a good job of keeping me in check, and I reposted the same response I had before it was removed. No skin off my back. It ain't rocket surgery or anything to get upset about for sure.

I'm very guilty of this, but we seem to go off topic a bit from time to time.
Jon,
When I delete a post because of protocols, I always hope the original poster will repost after Frank answers, but some people get into a hissy fit and dont repost...