Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

We gave up waterfowl years ago because of the need to wade in swamps to pick up birds. We are right on the edge with pheasant hunting with dogs. People take us out but staying with the dog can be overly demanding. The least obtrusive is deer hunting. You pick a spot downwind of a run and wait for one to come along. Of course you might wait for days. But we find the rewards in deer hunting commensurate with our commitment. Thing is you must not miss.

Turkey hunting is another old man/old woman option. If you get a gobbler response you have a 50/50 chance of calling him in. Its a hell of a lot easier to put a tom in the buggy than a 200 pound buck, which we get now and then. Hunting, be it deer or turkeys, there are no drunks on the road. Fishing we have exposure all the time.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I saw in today's news that Texas is planning to poison feral hogs because they have so many doing so much damage. Local hunters are pissed about that. Joyce and I paid $1,000 apiece a few years ago in Vermont. They are not bad eating, especially if all you've been eating is venison.
Well in my opinion it is the thing to do, that is poison them. The poison added to feed is the human blood thinner in which a lot of older people take to avoid strokes and heart attacks. This blood thinner is poison to hogs but before they die there flesh turns blue. If a human eats this blue flesh it is no big deal. In time the hog will die and in will move the scavengers. The theory is the blue flesh will have no effect on the scavengers but that remains to be seen.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I'm not the one paying for the damage but I still hate to see them seek a solution outside of hunting. Makes me think of birth control for deer. It solves their problem but we who hunt are still looking for our favorite recreation. Of course I guess my wife and I could only eat one "porker" per year. Then what?

Did you see in the film the number of hogs they can shoot from the helicopter in one morning? Flippin slaughter! And, of course, that is not really hunting but the guys in the copter were having fun.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 PM
SS/Veteran

For some reasons the mainland US has been a target for invasive species. This winter I have read about hogs that has been estimated to be in our area in twenty years (we will hot worry about that) to silver Asian carp, to snakes in Florida, snake fish in the Potomic etc etc. I could go on about insects and diseases but the topic is to depressing.

Spring is coming, life will presume
Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Invasive species? Some ding-dong buys a pet anaconda; when it gets too big and scary they turn them loose in the Everglades to breed with other snakes that got too big and scary. Don't kill them! That wouldn't be right!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Search Asian silver carp on the web. You will see power boats traveling up rivers with the fish jumping out of the water. The ones I have seen are all shot with bows but I can see you and Joyce shooting PULL and blasting away.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:42 PM

I think we have more invasive species than native species. Some non-native, therefore presumably "invasive" are brown trout and rainbow trout.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Senior Fellow

Living in an area where tropical fish are known to visit and gators are fairly common the potential for large constrictors is great but I do believe the most troublesome guest may be the coywolves. When USFWS decided it would be a great idea to reintroduce the Red wolves to eastern NC I suppose they thought that the species was smart enough to read boundary markers of the Alligator Wilderness. They were right about one thing, the venue was perfect. What they seemed to overlook was the fact that when alpha Red wolves get too old to service their own sweeties they are still plenty good enough to jump a coyote. This mixes are almost indistinguishable from one another sometimes requiring DNA testing to determine what is which.

Although Red wolves are supposedly very territorial their cousins and the hybrids love to roam so NC, and I'm sure soon to be plenty more states, now have a larger, more aggressive coyote that is known to travel hundreds of miles to satisfy it's lust for whatever it lusts for!

They are now sterilizing and returning coyotes to the area so they can be "placeholders" in the scheme of things. Oh the cost of genius is a high one.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 AM

The New England coyote is the largest in North America because they have cross bred with wolves from Canada. At least that is what print media is saying. Hunters I know all shoot coyotes. My wife and I do as well but we don't get that many. We hear them often at night while in bed. They will be breeding this month and will be howling more than usual. Whenever we leave a deer carcass out back, it disappears. Presumably dragged off. Its is too big for a fisher so we assume it was coyotes, the only thing around big enough to do that.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Here is an outdoor sports safety quiz: Which of these activities do you think claim the most lives in Maine?

Fishing
Downhill skiing
snowmobiling
Big game hunting
hiking

Answer tomorrow
Old 03-07-2017, 12:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Snowmobiling- those super highways they groom are an invitation for disaster. We will not count crossing lakes and ponds with thin ice. What did I win?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Snowmobiling- those super highways they groom are an invitation for disaster. We will not count crossing lakes and ponds with thin ice. What did I win?
Yes, snowmobiling has killed nine people so far this winter in Maine alone. Rich, you won 10 tickets in the Italian Million Dollar Lottery. If you are drawn, you will be awarded a dollar per year for a million years. Good job, ma man.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Turkey season in Ma is just around the corner. Of course there is a big northeaster coming our way which we have dealt with before in the past but a break might be nice. My advice is to wax up your shovel and hunker down. Of course there might be power failures on the menu.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Theory is that Frank and Joyce have no concerns because we have this XXXXXXX huge generator that would power Mass General or an aircraft carrier. Problem is that who the phuck is going to push this frigiin thing close enough to the house in four feet of snow when the lights go out.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 AM
SS/Veteran

In the Spring build yourself what appears to be a doghouse. Place generator inside. Give the doghouse a steep shed type roof that is hinged where you can lift roof, and dump snow. For extra features you can insulate it to keep noise down. If you are in a high theft area dig a hole, place 5 gallon pail in the ground, fill it with cement with a chain in the center with other end around generator. A nice touch is to build in a partition with gasoline storage on other side of wall.

Big problem is keeping the new gasoline fresh and not going stale. There are products out there to buy you some extra time but how much time will you need?.