Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

These scoped shotguns have rifleing and not meant to throw a spread of shot in the usual application; there is only one slug.

In wild turkey applications, where pattern density is required to strike the head and neck shooters want a tight pattern of hard shot which does not deform like lead. The application throws so tight a pattern that a person could miss. In that case a solution is a scope to enhance accuracy on such a tight pattern. I was the first to write about using a scope on pattern applications and I noticed a lot of hunting magazines began advocating scopes for turkey. Too bad you Queensland guys don't hunt wild turkeys because it is the funnest thing with clothes on.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Understood thanks. What is the pattern spread you use at say a range of 50m?

No wild turkeys like you have unfortunately. We do have a small bush turkey that aborigines are allowed to hunt. Aborigines are the only ones allowed to hunt native animals (with traditional means) for subsistence purposes.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:54 PM

Also, if you do not mind me asking..When you are fishing with just a teaser and sinker could you please describe the setup? Is the teaser above or below the sinker? Thanks
Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas808 View Post
Also, if you do not mind me asking..When you are fishing with just a teaser and sinker could you please describe the setup? Is the teaser above or below the sinker? Thanks
The teaser is between the angler and the sinker. Sinker is outer most.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
The teaser is between the angler and the sinker. Sinker is outer most.

Thanks very much. I will be trying this next season here!!
Old 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM
SS/Veteran

The best teaser choice is the Red-Gil which is the brain-child of a British lure designer who devised it for fishing wrecks in the North Sea. It has a swim blade in the tail and our stripers yum it.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 AM

Thanks very much. I saw you wrote about it elsewhere on the forum and looked up some images on google. I probably have some soft plastics that are similar that I can try. We don't have sandeels here but these barramundi are pretty aggressive at times (as long as there is natural movement). I caught one when I was a kid on a bit of rubber cut off my shoe drifted down unweighted with the current.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM
SS/Veteran

There are small baitfish in all the world's waters. So the absence or presence of sand-eels is irrelevant. You can also use a streamer fly. Before we had discovered red-gills we used 4 to 7 white saddle hackles which worked very well as teasers. But you do want the teaser to be weightless.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 PM

Thanks Frank. Looking forward to giving it a go. Never seen anybody fishing teasers here (except offshore trolling).
Old 11-25-2019, 04:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Teaser use seems to be a localized custom. Some areas everybody does it; others don't even know what they are.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:05 PM
SS/Veteran

I've been trying to use teasers of different configurations in other types of fishing. I especially like the way you rig them AND the way you space them Frank...5' apart. I see (and read) too many people that put them a foot and a half apart...looks too cluttered. 5' apart on a slow retrieve at night gives the two offerings more opportunity to be seen.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:58 AM
SS/Veteran

The distance apart is to allow space for the fish to slip between them without being tickled or XXXXXed by the other offer. We used to fish them closer but often had rub or false hits that we suspected we caused by the second, hook infested lure.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:15 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

So many recommend have a teaser 18" in front, which I use for flounder on a BOAT. But I go closer to your recommendation in the surf! No matter the reasoning it seems to make sense and works.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Casters keep the casting weights closer to their rod tip. Short leads are easier for them to throw but compromise the centrifugal effect of a long lead from tip to casting weight to say nothing of the space needed between weight and teaser.

Your casting weight, be it sinker for bait or lure, should be hanging down to the reel before you cast. Don't you remember the Biblical David who cast a stone from a longer drop? What the phuck am I teaching here? A bunch of ding-dongs?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Frank,

Curious about what type of rods you cast? That is, the blank/stiffness etc.

Why I ask is that I had one of my late father-in-law’s lami fiberglass rods redone by a local builder. This thing flexes down to the butt, way way different than any other rod I’ve used.
But when all is said and done, it actually casts Great ( capital G great )

And the latter rod construction makes me think that younger casters have not seen ( by that I mean “ understood “) the benefit the style you espouse could provide.

Just a thought.