Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Southern Maine?

I have a possible overnight shot at a Maine beach trip for one or two days at the end of the month. Driving over from Albany, NJ, so will stay South and get to the closest water. Anyone here have any experience in that area? Wondering if I can just pull up to any beach after swimming hours and start tossing, staying through the night.
Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Re: Southern Maine?

I may go this this summer here's some info I found:
Maine Saltwater Recreational Fishing
Where to Fish Along Maine's Coast
Post in the Maine & New Hampshire forum for more info, maybe a local will meet up with you.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Don't forget to bring a lot of bug spray. The locals usually don't get bit because they shower with DEET.

You should also read Joe Laniewski's article "Fly Fishing the Outlets"

Before you drive 500 miles, did you know there is an LL Bean Outlet in beautiful Flemington, NJ right off of Route 202?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Before you drive 500 miles, did you know there is an LL Bean Outlet in beautiful Flemington, NJ right off of Route 202? [/quote]

Hmmm, didn't know that. Def. not going for LL bean though. Not big on buying "stuff." Having no money helps in that department!
I've always wanted to see the Maine Coast. I have a chance to leave my 4 kids with family and spend a night or two with my wife camping somewhere along that area. Farther North would be great, but we don't have a lot of time to go . Hoping the lower water temps may help me with some mid-summer striper action. Either way, it will be hreat to get away if we can work out the details.

You know you've got it bad when a potential romantic weekend with the love of your life automatically sends you into cyber scouting for spots to fish!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiton View Post
I have a possible overnight shot at a Maine beach trip for one or two days at the end of the month. Driving over from Albany, NJ, so will stay South and get to the closest water. Anyone here have any experience in that area? Wondering if I can just pull up to any beach after swimming hours and start tossing, staying through the night.
Thanks,

Ed
You can pull up to most beaches during swimming hours and fish in Maine. But yes, people fish the nights up here. Where are you staying? Some beaches are better than others because of the surf. Maine's coast winds all over the place so sometimes some places are sheltered while a place 10 minutes could have all kinds of waves breaking. You might be able to get some information about conditions and locations here http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/fishing/ or you can always check in at the nearest tackle shop and they will be glad to tell you where the action is.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

LLBean is opening a Store, quite large, only a couple miles form me up here, and go figure, they hired me part time due to the fact that I had experience working at Eastern Mountain Sports for 5 yrs... I never did ask the emp. discounts though.
Southern Coast of Maine is most likely my favorite place to visit. So many places to explore and fish.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Re: Southern Maine?

That's cool Joe.......Can you get these in pink/brown?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
That's cool Joe.......Can you get these in pink/brown?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Don't have a place to stay yet. Looking at camp grounds, might even splurge on a hotel room. It's all in the planning stage at this point.

I appreciate the help here.

Ed
Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Moderator, Team SS

A few years ago I stayed in the purrrtiest campsite I have ever been in on Orrs Island but they are campers only now guessing you are going the tent route as well. If I go I may go to another Island a bit to the west Hermit Island, near bath, or may just go all the way to Sunrise Country near the Canadian coast border any input Juggo Late August or Sept. (sorry for the hijack passiton) A place I used to go as a kid was Papoose Pond, but is over a hour to the salt, but may be the place to go with kids, and/or a wife/girlfriend who isnt to keen on roughing it, they have tent sites with a outdoor kitchen and private bathroom.
Maine Camping Guide

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by row4fun : 07-13-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: fixing link
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Come on up fishin' good. I'm from the "darkside" night is ususlly best 'cause them "from away" are afraid of skeeters the size of B52's Bob, they dont bite us cause they prefer foreign food Just Stay away from Walkers Point. Most big fish are outside now, dawn and dusk best in the surf. schoolies in the back waters and rivers.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:12 PM

Try knocking on the door at Walkers Point in Kennebunkport. It's about a 40 min drive to the outlets.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Team SS

Pasiton & company please keep us informed on how you do. I'm heading up in for second week in August myslef. Wife will be w/me & she dosen't fish. I also was hopping to do some striper fishing though. I was thinking Portland. But I really don't know Maine at all.
Thanks.
JD
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Team SS

Oooops. I meant Portsmouth & York Beach, not Portland. Still would love to get some insider fishing info. As I said I'll be w/ wife & will only get one shot at stripers. PMs appreciated!
Thanks.
JD
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 PM

My trip to Southern Maine just went South! I'm a teacher and I struggle to make ends meet in the summer with other employment. Looks like I'm locked into jobs this week and next that will shoot me down on my planned trip.

Sigh...................

Thanks for the help!