SHORE CATCH HOME     CHARTERS BOAT     BEACH     OFFSHORE     REPORTS     WORKSHOP    SEASON     THE GUIDES     RATES     CONTACT US
     STRIPERSURF.COM HOME     ARTICLES     FAQs     FLY FISHING  . SS/INSIDER     SS/TROPHY RIGS     SITE INDEX     STRIPED BASS

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Shore Catch Guides
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ask Shore Catch Guides Shore Catch Guide Service, New Jersey's Premier Saltwater Guides

Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Question Line Memory

About two weeks ago, I bought 30 lb Trilene Big Game monofilament and put it on my conventional reel. Today I tied one end of the line to a heavy object just to test the drag and when the line came off it was all curled up. Is it normal for line to have this much memory after being on the reel for only a couple of weeks? Do you think it will straighten out? Any information or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Shore Catch Guide Service

Default Re: Line Memory

Colin,
it sounds more like that the line got twisted when you put it on the reel from the filler spool. I have not had any memory problems with Trilene. You can try running it out behind a boat but make sure you have a swivel in line connecting leader to lure. The line should not twist or coil when you reel it in. When reeling in let the line go slack and see if there is any twist outside the rod tip to the water.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:00 PM

alright sounds good but when I pull the line behind the boat whould I put weight on it because a swimming lure will just swim not unwind.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:47 AM

It sounds as if you put the line on the reel backwards. If the line comes off the filler spool and coils as you are putting it on your reel, you will have this problem. Next time, when starting to spool your reel, make a couple of dozen turns with the reel handle, and let the line go slack. If it twists up when slack, flip the filler spool over so it goes on your reel the same direction it comes off the filler spool. Make another couple of dozen turns on the reel and let the line go slack. The line shouldn't twist.