Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Reformatting

I've been putting of reformatting my HP for nearly a year, as I can't find the restore disk and will be in trouble without at least a semi-working computer. It burps, hiccups, refuses to run MS Office anymore, does hard shut downs when running any app with heavy graphics use (games), etc.

With propmting from Jess I found the product key on the housing, but I think that I may be missing something. Don't I need a disk to reinstall XP? I have my MS Office CD , but that's it.

I really need to just get another PC, but that's not in the cards. Any help anyone can give on wiping this puppy clean and starting over would be greatly appreciated.

Take a kid fishing!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Reformatting

If you didn't get a restore cd with your pc then the install files may be on the drive already.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Jess is correct, their may be a system restore partition on your hard drive. HOWEVER, if let's say your PC is a few years old and you have allowed Microsucks to do automatic updates you probably now have XP SP2 or even XP SP3 installed. If that is the case or you find the original XP install disk from the PC manufacturer, Windows will not permit a re-install with an older version.

What you need to do is make a Windows recovery CD and then pray it works. In my experience nothing that Microsucks offers for recovery actually works, not a recovery CD or their bullshit recovery floppies.

I will PM you with a copy to Jess. What version of XP do you have, XP Home, XP Home Media Edition or XP Professional?

You can look at the link below for general information, it is somewhat outdated and the intro text has wrong or inoperable information but the graphical section is pretty accurate.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp

Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
SS/Insider

Ed, go online aas well and download the drivers for the hardware on your computer, especially the network card so you can get online. If you need to you can always pick up an OEM version of XP home for around $85.00. If you do that and have the drivers you should be able to get the computer back up and running pretty smoothly. Email me @ chrisc@omniinst.com if you need any help.

Good luck Ed!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Jess helped me to find the option for a non-destructive reformatting. I used it, reinstalled the little bit I lost, and it seems to be working ok so far. MS Office is back up and running and everything else looks good too. Thanks for the help guys!

Ed

Take a kid fishing!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Still working pretty well. It's not a new computer, but I can access the apps that weren't running before and it's way more stable. Thanks guys!

Take a kid fishing!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Now if we can only reformat the Bass to come to the shore line for a free meal & a picture.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!