Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-15-2003, 12:43 AM

I was fishing late afternoon today. Started out with a metal and caught 2 robins. Then switched to a topwater popper thinking I wouldn't get any sea robin. Guess I was wrong because I saw a sea robin come up and attack my popper. He put up a nice fight. When I landed him, I couldn't believe the size of it. The biggest sea robin I ever caught and saw. He looked about 16-17 inches and weighed probably between 3- 3 1/2 lbs. To me that's a big one. Anybody know if there is a state or world record for sea robin's? If there is, I should have kept him. Did any of you guys ever saw or caught one that big?

p.s.- What am I doing talking about a sea robin. I am just mad and frustated because I haven't caught anything in 3 weeks besides robins and tons of sea weeds.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:43 AM

I was fishing late afternoon today. Started out with a metal and caught 2 robins. Then switched to a topwater popper thinking I wouldn't get any sea robin. Guess I was wrong because I saw a sea robin come up and attack my popper. He put up a nice fight. When I landed him, I couldn't believe the size of it. The biggest sea robin I ever caught and saw. He looked about 16-17 inches and weighed probably between 3- 3 1/2 lbs. To me that's a big one. Anybody know if there is a state or world record for sea robin's? If there is, I should have kept him. Did any of you guys ever saw or caught one that big?

p.s.- What am I doing talking about a sea robin. I am just mad and frustated because I haven't caught anything in 3 weeks besides robins and tons of sea weeds.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:13 AM

Yeah, I've caught birds that big. They hit flys readily. I've seen them on the surface rolling on bait like a striper, getting me all excited until I see the tell-tale orange.

Bass eat them you know......
Old 08-15-2003, 01:07 PM

That size is yummy. Just have to be good with the knife when cleaning.

rockfishrule

Some people like the hunt others just want to point and shoot