Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default metrics

if I have to see a demo for another set of "metrics" tools, I'm going to vomit

I was invited to a demo of the ...

"?Intelligent Test Delivery Platform? (iTDP) for some of my strategic programs (SalesPortal, X1). ITDP is envisioned as a toolkit that provides key delivery and performance metrics in an integrated dashboard view with customizable level of detail, to enable efficient decision making. "

Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Re: metrics

I couldn't cope with all the metrics bullshit in today's business world. One of the key problems is establishing the importance of each statistic. Oftentimes companies get it wrong from the very start and the company is basing decisions on achieving metric goals which actually are worthless to the overall profitability of the company. It's kinda like "feel good" numbers which don't mean squat.

Case in point and I'll try to be brief.

Mid 70's I'm working for Uniroyal Engineered Products Group (not tires) as a District Sales Manager. My territory was 2/3rds of Ohio, 100% of Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and a bit of Georgia. Responsible for sales to wholesale industrial distributors, original equipment manufacturers and US Dept of Defense (Columbus, OH).

We were supposed to work with the wholesale distributors salesmen to get our products into all types of companies, e.g. mines, manufacturing plants, power plants, steel mills, even prisons.

From the git/go I realized that my time would be better spent calling on Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMS) and the DOD. Back then of course their was no Internet or any detailed databases which you could use for researching companies so I went to the Chamber of Commerces in big and small towns and asked questions. Then I discovered that Newspapers and Banks were a great source of local info, here again long before the consolidation of banks into BIG Banks and death of regional newspapers.

I spent 80% of my time on OEM's & the DOD which made my bosses at HQ pissed so I was chosen to be one of the sales guys in Uniroyal to be part of a new computer project, Automated Sales Management.

All that meant was filling out a detailed weekly report of my activities. It was a real PITA and I was constantly get phone calls and memos from HQ that I wasn't using my time efficiently. I made my excuses, saying I was developing new OEM business that had big potential but one boss was livid and I learned one was going behind my back telephoning the wholesale distributors to check on me and "campaigning" in HQ that I should be let go. He was using my weekly activity reports as evidence of my "poor performance."

I didn't get a summary report of the computer programs results for 6 months but when it finally came out it said I was totally wasting my time and would never achieve my yearly quota. I was in deep shit with a few bosses at HQ, all except the OEM & DOD Products Managers who were working with me on new projects.

About two weeks after the bad computer report was released I was able to notify HQ that we had been awarded our largest single contract since WWII by the DOD. (Uniroyal, going way back in history first did business with the War Dept during the Civil War!) On top of that Ford's Philco Div made us sole supplier of air conditioning hose lines for all Ford vehicles, Proctor and Gamble (Cincinnati) awarded us a contract to supply a new flexible expansion joint system for all their US and foreign manufacturing plants.

The backstabbing immediately stopped, the plant manager in Passaic, NJ joked that I had "oversold" his manufacturing capacity. Best of all by the end of the calendar year I had surpassed my sales quota by a factor of 10.

We bought our first house with the bonus, it was enough for a 50% down payment!

The Automated Sales Management project quietly was dropped.

Screw Metrics!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: metrics

LOL... nice story, Bob!

our metrics are even more obtuse, in most cases.

at best, we use certain metrics against Service Agreements with our "strategic partners" aka outsourcing companies.

at worse, it's CYA nonsense when the business side has misrepresented what our committed deliverables are at the end of each quarter or cycle (not all workstreams go by quarter any longer).

even worse, internally its pure make-work to try to show how much work "we" are doing as opposed to "them" (another team in our test organization).

Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Thumbs up Re: metrics

Great story Bob....

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.