Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Statement I made at Groundfish Hearing

To Mr. Paul J. Diodati:

On January 17th, 2013 I attended the fishery meeting in Gloucester. The 1st item on the agenda "for public comment" was the proposal to double the commercial quota on winter flounder from 250 lbs to 500 lbs/day. It's funny how this "public hearing" is at 10am on a weekday when most recreational anglers are working, it was held in a "commercial fishing town" and aside from myself and Ron Powers, was attended solely by commercial fishermen....This is what I said:

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Over the past 12 years I have seen both an excellent comeback to our flounder fishing in Boston Harbor and a similar return of fishermen from NY, NJ, Ct, and other states that bring money into our state. They book hotel rooms, buy bait and tackle, eat in restaurants and their spouses shop while they fish. In our short 8-10 week season, thousands of local and out of state fishermen participate and on a give day, 1000's of flounder can be caught in our harbor. In one tow, a single dragger can kill far more flounder than the whole fleet of rod and reelers can catch in a week of effort! All to sell 500 pounds???

It has somehow been forgotten that the job of our government, first and foremost, has always been to "pass and enforce" "rules and regulations for the common good". To further enrich a few dozen at the expense of thousands is insane! Where is the common good?

Virtually every specie that has been managed in this way is either currently in trouble or headed for trouble. The only rule your guys should use as a guideline is you can only increase quotas when a species is "fully recovered across it's entire range". Boston Harbor is "ground zero" for winter flounder and while it is showing signs of recovery there is still no fall fishery, which used to be spectacular. That means the recovery still has a very long way to go. It also means that the depleted stocks of virtually all other coastal areas on the east coast of the United States are dependant on our stock of flounder to keep the species alive enough so they can come back to those areas eventually. Would this action be fair and responsible to them?

Let the fish win one for a change!
Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters
fishinglsister@aol.com
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

I urge everyone to send a brief statement to the addresses below:
Say you are opposed to the winter flounder quota increase for commercial fishermen!

paul.diodati@state.ma.us, dan.mckiernan@state.ma.us, shannon.davis@state.ma.us, jared.silva@state.ma.us

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters
fishinglsister@aol.com
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com

617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Statement I made at Groundfish Hearing

Hi Nichola!

If the landings are currently at or about their "historic low" (according to the chart you included), what rational justifies increased harvest?

Further, there were over two dozen written "public statements" opposing the increase and one verbal statement favoring. What is the point to "public comment" if it is to be completely disregarded?

I eagerly await your reply!

Thank you!

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters
fishinglsister@aol.com
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com

In a message dated 2/11/2013 1:45:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, nichola.meserve@state.ma.us writes:
Captain Colby,

First I'd like to clarify that the recent vote you reference regarding Gulf of Maine winter flounder was by the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission. The vote was unanimous in favor of increasing the commercial trip limit to 500 lbs and eliminating the September - October recreational closure for GOM winter flounder. Draft minutes of the meeting will be available in time for the next Commission meeting, currently scheduled for March 7.

Attached is a memo providing the Director's rationale for recommending that the Commission approve these modest liberalizations. I've also attached the interstate management plan addendum that authorized the Division to take these actions; it provides additional important background information. Attached to the Director's memo is the record of public comment on the proposed changes. Bear in mind that it is the rationale behind the public comment rather than the number of comments for and against that the Director and Commission take into consideration.

Regards,
Nichola

Nichola Meserve
Fisheries Policy Analyst
Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries
251 Causeway Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02114
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com