Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Striped Bass Management - ASMFC to take action

Somebody posted this story on another board. Could this be the reason for the disappointing fall so far? I don't know how to verify the facts and figures mentioned in the article but it seems to make some sense.
http://mvgazette.com/news/2013/10/31...98f3978bba&r=1
Interested in hearing what others think
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
SS/Insider

Default Re: November Fishing Reports 2013

Scary. And depressing. Here's a letter that was written in response to the article:

"Nothing will ever change until the fishing community as a whole respects and releases striped bass over 36". Bass this length and greater need to be looked upon by all fisherman as individual breeding units, capable of multiple spawns yielding hundreds of thousands of eggs each spring. Left alive, these cows will restock our waters and prove to all that they are worth far more to the future of our sport alive than dead. At the current rate of catching and killing the brood stock, we are destined to relive yet another moratorium." Paul Eidman, Sandy Hook NJ
- See more at: http://mvgazette.com/news/2013/10/31....WHPOKb36.dpuf
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
Scary. And depressing. Here's a letter that was written in response to the article:

"Nothing will ever change until the fishing community as a whole respects and releases striped bass over 36". Bass this length and greater need to be looked upon by all fisherman as individual breeding units, capable of multiple spawns yielding hundreds of thousands of eggs each spring. Left alive, these cows will restock our waters and prove to all that they are worth far more to the future of our sport alive than dead. At the current rate of catching and killing the brood stock, we are destined to relive yet another moratorium." Paul Eidman, Sandy Hook NJ

Something I learned on my last trip to Florida, some fish have a min and max size. This is something that would help with stripers here.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Yup.... get the marinas and bait shops with weighing stations to post that article for their clients. You know it's not in their commercial interests to discourage people from bringing in their catch for display. Enough of this cr@p bringing fish ashore to die and be weighed and then boast about the catch! Snap pictures and then slide them back in. Or release them without even getting them sandy or boat bruised if they are small. Marinas and shops can still post a bragging board of their proud client pictures and still get the public excited about going fishing. At least they should tell clients that if they catch something that isn't as big as what they brought in before, don't bring the carcass in for the show and tell! And a great big Boo to all you turkeys who want to display a boatload or truckload of bass.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
Yup.... get the marinas and bait shops with weighing stations to post that article for their clients. You know it's not in their commercial interests to discourage people from bringing in their catch for display. Enough of this cr@p bringing fish ashore to die and be weighed and then boast about the catch! Snap pictures and then slide them back in. Or release them without even getting them sandy or boat bruised if they are small. Marinas and shops can still post a bragging board of their proud client pictures and still get the public excited about going fishing. At least they should tell clients that if they catch something that isn't as big as what they brought in before, don't bring the carcass in for the show and tell! And a great big Boo to all you turkeys who want to display a boatload or truckload of bass.
I have been saying it for years now. There needs to be a min-max size of stripers similar to redfish in NC. It is the only way to continue to fish for stripers and at the same time allow the species to thrive. If not then we will eventually see no bass or bans on fishing for them. I feel the party boats should put in place a 1 fish limit on their boats. The boats will still get there 45-55 dollars a head regardless of how many fish a person can keep. there is no reason why a single person needs 2 20lb fish and a 3rd if he has a bonus tag. It is just sick.

but on a different note...this AM 1 short on a swimshad. Will try again tomorrow morning to avoid the crowds.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:42 PM

But but...how will we show everyone how manly we are???.
Glory fishing. Nothing more. Pitiful, really.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker86 View Post
But but...how will we show everyone how manly we are???.
Glory fishing. Nothing more. Pitiful, really.
Jeez - i dont know - maybe post half of the pictures of the fish - maybe you don't need to post pix of that shad or 11 iinch fluke you caught. Just thinking out loud.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Default Striped Bass Management - ASMFC to take action

Quote:

I agree. In all my years of fishing I've taken only 2 Bass to keep. They were a double header caught a few years back just before Thanksgiving and I had people over who enjoyed fish, They didn't go to waste. This year Bay snapped a photo of a slob that I was lucky enough to catch and there was another nice 35"er that was also released. I also agree that there should be a "slot" imposed on this fishery, say 28' to 34", for those who choose to enjoy the for dinner
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM

In mid Sept I fished in Maine for a week, up there you can keep one fish a day. Between 20" and 26" or over 40", so those 26 to 40" girls are staying in the water, that sounds more reasonable to me.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Senior Fellow

Agree that we need to reinforce the catch, photo and release idea. make it the way things are done, esp the larger fish. It would be a shame for fishery to get badly damaged and then have the "gee why didn't we protect the fish or the how did this happen" conversation. Time to get serious. With easy, cheap digital cameras and Iphones, photos are simple. It takes everybody. Get tackle shops to put up photo boards instead of weigh-in lists. I know a nice fish (30-32) feeds families and that is respectable but we need to push this now. This site has a lot of serious and influential fisherman...we need to start this effort
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Angry Re: November Fishing Reports 2013

These are all Excellent ideas !!! But there is one problem. TIME ! And it's RUNNING OUT !!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Another thougt is the boat guys. I know they spend a lot of money during the course of the year to fish. They do catch more and larger fish than we do so how do you convince them about release. On a trip last year I caught a 40+ lbr on my friends boat after he caught one similar in size. I tried to convince him to release his but that was his "bragging rights back at the marina". The one I caught was still swimming, and more importantly still breeding
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 PM

The state just needs a simple min and max limit and the population will comeback strong for example i would have no problem if they said you can keep 2 fish between 28-36inches anything more or less need to be put back. However, there would also need to be a strict penalty in place for example if your caught breaking the rules not a $100-250 per fish or whatever it is. It would need to be $1000-2500 per fish.

Of course there will be the people to complain because they want their trophy but that would only be a short peroid of time eventually they would deal with it. If they really wanted to eat the fish go to the supermarket and buy a few fillets.

just my 2cents.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM

Read the article, and just wanted to comment on it and some posts here.

In the big picture, as NJ surf fishermen, we don't count for squat in hurting any populations of any fish. No Slot or Inch requirements for surf anglers is going to make any real difference in the population of stripers. Every NJ poster here could leave every short fish on the beach to die and it would not impact the striper population much.

It's almost like saying that if every surf fisherman takes a bucket of sand home on every trip to the beach, soon the beaches will have no sand. The math just doesn't work that way.

There is absolutely over-fishing going on. But it's not sport fishermen (surf or boaters) that are doing it. It's corporate $$$ as always.

In NJ you cant go out for dinner and eat striper. In almost every other state on the coast you can. Combined with the bunker slaughter for dog food, its making a big difference.

I almost laugh at the catch and release comments I see here. Not that they are not right and noble, but just that they are so futile.

Just IMO.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM
SS/Insider

Default Re: Striped Bass Management - ASMFC to take action

Have to respectfully disagree, Donhans. The fact that the commercial market has a bigger impact than rec fishermen isn't a reason to throw your hands up and do nothing. If 100 guys on this board released 100 fish that they might have kept, and those fish lay several million eggs, how is that a bad thing? And I don't see how recreational boat fishermen, who can follow the birds, park themselves on top of the fish and hammer cows, aren't impacting the bass population negatively. That being said, you are right about the commercial impact. The fact that bunker/menhaden populations are at historic lows isn't helping either, thank you Omega Protein. Bottom line is that if WE, the guys who love fishing for stripers, continue to sit on our hands, this is going to get worse quickly.