Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: March & April 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
I once seen Mr. BayYaker give CPR to a bass
I once needed help with a bass and I yelled " help me mr.bayyaker ! Help me mr. Bayyaker ,
Old 04-25-2018, 06:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: March & April 2018 Fishing Reports

Off to Canada this weekend for some trout fishing, everyone enjoy
Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM

I got myself to the way out end of the Hook today to explore and see if I could do any good at all. I very happily took all your good advice, most especially about not pissing off the seal. StriperSurf if full of the greatest, kindest fishermen! You must have worried about me so you sent a spirit guide in the form of Ben Gardner. I knew he was of the SS brotherhood because I recognized the Rui Glider he was throwing. By the time he got there I'd broken the ice with a 24" and a rat I'd caught on my bucktail and twistertail, but that was all I'd seen in an hour and a half. He hooked up pretty quickly and, after just a little while as the tide change kicked in, we were hooking up every couple or three casts. The biggest fish we saw was taped at 27.5". We left them biting. I'm not sure, but between us we caught maybe 20 or 25 fish. I lost count. I had a rod set out with chunks of fresh shad, which caught the biggest fish, but all the others were on my bucktail or Ben's paddle tails or such.
It was a great day's fishing for me, and a treat to meet Ben.
I need to correct one thing though. The biggest fish we saw was about 32", 1/4 eaten, laying in the sand a foot in front of the sleeping seal's nose. It hadn't been there when I walked past it earlier. Damn.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I got myself to the way out end of the Hook today to explore and see if I could do any good at all. I very happily took all your good advice, most especially about not pissing off the seal. StriperSurf if full of the greatest, kindest fishermen! You must have worried about me so you sent a spirit guide in the form of Ben Gardner. I knew he was of the SS brotherhood because I recognized the Rui Glider he was throwing. By the time he got there I'd broken the ice with a 24" and a rat I'd caught on my bucktail and twistertail, but that was all I'd seen in an hour and a half. He hooked up pretty quickly and, after just a little while as the tide change kicked in, we were hooking up every couple or three casts. The biggest fish we saw was taped at 27.5". We left them biting. I'm not sure, but between us we caught maybe 20 or 25 fish. I lost count. I had a rod set out with chunks of fresh shad, which caught the biggest fish, but all the others were on my bucktail or Ben's paddle tails or such.
I need to correct one thing though. The biggest fish we saw was about 32", 1/4 eaten, laying in the sand a foot in front of the sleeping seal's nose. It hadn't been there when I walked past it earlier. Damn.
Hi Joseph ! Was a pleasure to meet you and even better find some fish
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 PM

Got a nice surprise out back this afternoon with my first weakfish. Caught 4 micro bass as well 10-18? all on small paddle tail search baits. High tide and classy conditions swirls on metal lips but no takers.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Nice job Joe. Time and patients always seem to work out.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Off to Canada this weekend for some trout fishing, everyone enjoy
Been a wet week so far. Only got out for an hour today in between the rain drops. Didn't notice any natural bait in the Brooks yet. May be a week early......
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 AM
SS/Veteran

That is one frickin' fugly seal! Wallowing in the wash 3 feet in front of us at night---I know I'm gonna have nightmares.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:24 AM

Fished the past two nights away from the insane RB crowds.

1st night had 15 keepers; 2nd night got the skunk

Luna 4oz swimmer, RG Lures 7" prototype glider, and Mike's 3.75oz Commander all worked great
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  108.5 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  104.9 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  98.0 KB
Old 04-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Great reports guys,,,, you're killing me!! Almost went to IBSP today, but giving it another week or so,,,
Old 04-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Senior Fellow

Got to jetty this morn two hours into outgoing. Steady west wind. Bout 20-15. Amazed to see big rollers, not breakers, but like Victory at Sea. Washed over end of jetty so not really flushable. Strange with west wind. Maybe Weather at Sea. Back this afternoon in waders
Old 04-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Senior Fellow

Typing on phone. Ocean was flushable not not fishable. Wind was 10-15
Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Senior Fellow

Picked up about 8 schoolies late afternoon. Small plastics on jig head. Fly rod guy fishing most of the afternoon got about 40. He was out fishing everybody. Sinking line and small streamer. Back st it early am before rain really starts
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Senior Fellow

out early morning; light rain; jetty pocket; lasted about 20 min as rain increased steadily and finally drove me off; schoolies every cast on small plastics; 3 doubles and two casts with no hits; estimate about 30 fish on maybe 28 casts; batted over 1.000 for the morning until it was called off by heavy rain; home, wet and happy; rain due most of the day but we shall see
Old 04-27-2018, 09:07 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
out early morning; light rain; jetty pocket; lasted about 20 min as rain increased steadily and finally drove me off; schoolies every cast on small plastics; 3 doubles and two casts with no hits; estimate about 30 fish on maybe 28 casts; batted over 1.000 for the morning until it was called off by heavy rain; home, wet and happy; rain due most of the day but we shall see
Nicely done Bill!