Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Rod Makers Wrap Up

Rod Makers Wrap Up How big is yours?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Team SS

Default Help, got casting vs spinning, guides please?

I made a goof up & need some advice please.
I was trying to build up an arsonal of surf set ups for my church men's group fishing fellowship trips.
On e-bay I bought a "Diawa Sealine-X Surf SL-X S1132XHRB 11'3" WT 8 - 10 oz line 12 - 30 lbs"
It seems like a great 8 & bait heavier for tossing heads into a noreaster!
The problem is I only have spinning reels and would not put a casting reel in a newbie's hands in the surf.
Would it be worth changing over the guides to make it a spinnig rod? I don't need pretty at all, just functional. How much mught it cost? Its got 9 guides including the tip. How many of the guides would I need to change?
Anyone here willing to do that for me (i.e., quick and funcional vs pretty and perfect)? How much? PM's welcome!
Thanks!
JD
Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Togalicious Moderator

Default Re: Help, got casting vs spinning, guides please?

If the rod is actually splined correctly, using a conventional would have it off axis and could cause a major problem. Basically a spinning rod in theory is wrapped with it to bend one way correctly, a conventional the other.

More than likely you can get away with using a spinning reel on it without compromising it. I think the major guide problem would be the first one closest to the reel as in spinning they are usually quite larger to accomodat the line coming off a larger spinning reel.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Team SS

Thanks Gottog
Its pretty heavy (8-10 oz). How worried should I be about opposing the spline by 180 degrees? If I simply replace the 1st two guides what problems might I have? Those conventional guides have a lower frame/seat than the taller spinning guide seats.
To get the whole rod completely rewrapped would most likly be too expensive to worth it. As I said, don't need pretty or perfect, just functional as an 8 & baiter.
Thanks again!
JD
Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 AM

What he's trying to say is that the real seat is facing the wrong direction for it to be used a spinning rod. Your better off just selling that or trading it for a spinning rod.

I believe the part number you need would be a SL-X SH1132XHRS

I have a pair that I use with two Daiwa Grand Wave Bite and Run reels. Their the best thing I've found for tossing a double header of clam or bunker heads along with an appropriate surf sinker.

That rod you have would work well with a SL X20 SHA conventional reel.

Changing it over to a spin rod, correctly would mean removing the reel seat and turning to 180 degrees, then installing a set of appropriate spin guides. You could maybe get buy just changing the first 2 or three guides but the first guide spacing may also be wrong but the biggest issue would be the reversed spine.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Check out rod building forums for proper information.

Most rod builders, with the modern rods blanks, do not pay attention to the spine ANY more, even though most written directions do point to the spine. They mostly make the build on the straightest axis. Again, this info comes not from me but, rod building forums I have been reading.

As for reel seats being on the wrong side. All reels face the same way as the guides, spinning or casting. Spinning, reels hang down as do the guides, Casting up as with the guides.

Differences in casting and spinning are guide size, guide spacing (for line slap) and reel seats.

I agree, for beginners, spinning is the best. Joe

A couple quotes from rod builders

"It really doesn't matter. You can spine the two pieces individually; you can spine them together; or you can ignore spine and build on the straightest axis. As a rule, I ignore spine, unless the spine is in an odd place relative to a curve in the blank.

Don't drive yourself crazy over this; it won't make a difference in your finished rod. Any method you choose will work fine."

"I share the same thought as **** on this. Don't worry about it! I'd like to ask everyone who spines a blank why? and do you notice a difference. I do spine but mostly I build to the curve. I only spine to see if it matches the curve and out of intrest to see how the blank reacts one way or another. I have never noticed any difference in casting, fighting fish, working lures either way!!"

"I once thought thge spine was very important. I now think it matters little or not at all on a spinner. I still can't let go that it matters on a conventional however I no longer believe it is the primary reason why conventional rods want to twist under load. I now believe the primary reason is the torque created because the guide rings are above the rod. If the line were to go down the center of the blank , I do not believe the spine would cause any really important torque with the resultant twist."
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
SS/Veteran

JD, I assume this is going to be a "loaner rod". I would simply change the first 2 guides to a larger size. Chances are that most people will never know the difference. Good Luck, Joe.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Team SS

Thanks for all of that detailed info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 042801 View Post
JD, I assume this is going to be a "loaner rod". I would simply change the first 2 guides to a larger size. Chances are that most people will never know the difference. Good Luck, Joe.
That's exactly what I did!
I'll let you know how it works!
JD