Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 AM

Default Right Shoulder shut down

So I'm reading the recent reports of bass and blues with envy, especially since I can't get to the Cape till June 9. Orthopedist says overhead casting is out (and that's easy to comply with since it's killing me to cast overhead) and even proper sidearm casting with a surf rig is a no-no since it puts pressure on the shoulder. I need to step down a ways and use tackle I can handle with one hand and snap out there with the wrist (and maybe a little help from the left hand). But I'm willing to target schoolies and snappers if I can cast without pain. And I guess that means I won't feel obligated to fish at night, though if I can hit some jetties or estuary outflows at first light I like my chances.

Any other suggestions out there?

Barracuda
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Right Shoulder shut down

Sorry to hear abiut the injury. I am suffering with some significant pain in my right shoulder for the first time in my few years of surf casting. I'd suggest fishing breaches, outflows, anywhere with some current that you can use to deliver a bait or plug. A little flip into the current and a open bail and you won't have to worry about casting a mile. I'd specifically use eels at any of the rhody breaches or off either the long or short jetty on the east end of the canal.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 AM

it's the rotator cuff or labrum in the shoulder.. I had it...got the surgery...was not able to fish at all from April till October...was worth it..no pain, no arthritis and like a brand new shoulder...that was 5 years ago..best thing I ever did...forget fishing and fix the shoulder
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 AM
SS/Veteran

Barracuda can you cast left-handed? I had to do that due to injuries at one point. I still do it sometimes to rest my right elbow when gorilla jigging.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM
SS/Veteran

check to see if it is " Frozen shoulder " might not be the cuff !
Old 09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Wife was out this past Labor Day Weekend with a very PAINFUL frozen shoulder. Finally got in yesterday to see an ortho doc and got a shot of cortizone after having an xray. Now its off to PHY Ther. for a few weeks.
I can understand your problem after seeing her in so much pain for the last week.
Folks, take care of the body.