Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Public Service Notices & Events

Public Service Notices & Events All Members and non-commercial organizations are welcome to post their organization's News, Notices of upcoming Events and Meetings as well as issues which are important to this community.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation FDA urges removal of Korean seafood products

Quote:
FDA urges removal of Korean seafood products
Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration urged the removal of South Korean oysters, clams, mussels and scallops from the market, saying the products may have been exposed to human fecal waste and contaminated with norovirus.

At least four people in the United States have become sick after eating South Korean seafood - three in October and one in December, the FDA said on Thursday.

The regulatory warning spans the range of fresh, canned and processed seafood products that contain the seafood types known as molluscan shellfish that entered the United States before May 1, when the FDA first removed them from an interstate list of certified shellfish shippers.

An FDA official said U.S. representatives are in talks with South Korean officials about the problem that involves polluted fishing waters where the seafood was harvested.

An official with the South Korean embassy in Washington had no comment.

Some food companies have already removed the products from their distribution networks. But the agency said not all have complied and it issued the warning in an effort to reach retailers distributors and food service operators.

"These products and any products made with them may have been exposed to human fecal waste and are potentially contaminated with norovirus," the FDA said in a statement.

South Korean shellfish represent only a tiny fraction of the oysters, clams, mussels and scallops sold in the United States.

Norovirus causes gastroenteritis, a disorder characterized by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and other symptoms that occur within 12-48 hours of exposure and last up to three days.

The FDA took action after determining that a South Korean program to safeguard shellfish contamination did not meet U.S. standards for sanitary controls.

The agency advised consumers to check seafood labels and contact seafood vendors, if they are concerned about products they have purchased, and throw out any found to be from South Korea.
I recently had a week long bout with gastroenteritis, it was horrible, lost 17 pounds from just fluid loss and made me so weak and kind of "fuzzy" I could not work and dared not drive.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: FDA urges removal of Korean seafood products

efin wonderful.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM

With a lot of molluscs, shrimp and fish being grown in farms, you'll see a lot more of these problems. Nutrient rich waters (polluted from sewage and farm runoff etc) grow molluscs more quickly. They also over use antibiotics causing resistant strains of diseases. Even here in Canada they illegally dose the salmon farms with cypermethrin (insecticide) to kill sea lice.... only problem is it kills all the lobsters in the vicinity. I was out fishing near the cages and they told me not to keep any wild fish I catch near the cages because they were dosing the fish with "antibiotics". Farmed salmon are proven to have many more toxins than wild salmon. I'd rather eat smoked kippers than smoked farmed atlantic salmon anyday. Wild pacific salmon is the only salmon I'll eat, as with wild locally caught shrimp, clams, mussels and scallops. Hopefully, people will wake up someday and stop buying this garbage from overseas and mass produced, environmentally unfriendly farmed seafood from our own waters as well.

Funny, but not for my buddy.... He wanted to order Thai food and I said, "I can make the same thing but better and you have all the ingredients here" So, I made the shrimp stir fry using a can of small salad shrimp from Thailand. I never buy that myself and didn't read the can, which we found out later said to "Drain water and rinse shrimp well." He said the stir fry was fantastic except for the soapy water taste and the explosive diarrhea that soon followed all night. It's sorta odd that the water looked soapy, so they must have been using something strange as a preservative or it was wash water from the local laundromat!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

I don't buy commercial seafood anymore. I don't know where it came from and I don't trust the vendor to tell me.