Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Rod Makers Wrap Up

Rod Makers Wrap Up How big is yours?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Default Help with St. Croix 2 pc

Bought a 9' two pc St. Croix Mojo Surf yesterday at the expo in Oaks, Pa. After taking a closer look this morning I noticed that the two sections don't fully engage. There is approx. 2 inches of travel that needs to happen and i can see raw graphite between the sections. How I didn't notice this is beyond me (read rookie). Anyway, the retailer I purchased from is not exactly around the corner so I sent an e-mail to St. Croix asking their advice and thought I would do the same here.
The bottom section seems just a bit thick, preventing it from fully engaging the top. Obviously I don't want to force it and risk damaging the rod. The bottom section is 3' with no guides. I was a cabinetmaker for 30+ years so I was gonna grab some 150-200 grit sandpaper and have at it but don't know how sanding effects graphite. Wet sand? Laminate type file?
I read that St. Croix sells a wax that they recommend putting on there occasionally (not sure I buy that idea) but it certainly isn't gonna make up 2 inches. Any ideas?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Help with St. Croix 2 pc

how far does the male part go into the female part? i have 2 two peice st. croixs an 8 and a 9 ft both with the male on the bottom section. on both the male goes in a good 3 inches.tell the truth i wouldent go sanding anything just yet,maybe the 2 parts are from different rods?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 PM

The male part is 7&1/2" and the female part about 8". But it only inserts 6" which leaves 1&1/2" of unfinished graphite between the two sections of epoxied rod. St. Croix rep e-mailed me and said that's the way it's supposed to be. I'm sure it's strong enough but it just looks kind of funny to me.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
SS/Veteran

i will say that u have nothing to worry about.its over eningeered,but i really dont think it will ever wear out. my 11 ft lami only inserts 3 inches. its 20 years old and never had a problem with it. todays new rods are ammazing,enjoy .
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks Joe
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
SS/Veteran

here is a pic of mine. which does seat all the way to the end. I don't know how to fix yours just wanted to show you that it does go all the way
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Thats the way it susposed to be is the right answer.
Its not just St Croix.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Regarding: "Thats the way it susposed to be is the right answer"

REALLY????? That is the biggest pile of BS I ever heard.
If another owner shows that his rod seats all the way, as do 98% of the others (I have a 2-piece triumph surf rod that seats all the way also.
It's obvious that this rod escaped the watchful eye of the quality control inspector.

For the money spent on St Croix rods, they should have had the guy send the rod back for an exchange.

I was wondering if the guy could trim a bit off the male end so it seated all the way.

But again, if I spent close to $200 for a high quality rod, I sure as $hit wouldn't want to have to trim it to make it right.

Its not just St Croix.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Before you take any information here, contact St Croix and they will explain the connection to you and how far the 2 pieces should mate..
Also there is a video on the Mojo on Tackle Directs website with the St Croix Rep. that shows how far they rod will mate, its only a few inches.

Enjoy the rod, I own 2 and there great rods.

Last edited by Joe : 12-05-2012 at 01:35 PM.