Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Rod Makers Wrap Up

Rod Makers Wrap Up How big is yours?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default 10 Century Stealth Build

Well, Blank arrived and already received one package of supplies. Now waiting on another ordered today to start. But all the planning is done now its time for the engineering. Will post along the way...
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 10 Century Stealth Build

Well this Century blank is amazing. Its used to be you build on the spine, now folks say build on the straightest axis.

Well I made my determination on the butt section which, for the most part is easy and wasn't looking forward to doing the tip section. I am anal on things being just right.

Finding and marking the inside of the spine was easy enough then I brought it out in the daylight to sight the straightest line,,, and the whole damn thing right around 360 degrees is straight as an arrow.

So I build on the inside of the spine. (spinning)

PS, on this blank the spine was very minimal also.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:23 AM

Hey, am I right in assuming that is the S1 blank?..Super parabolic. I have one and I love it despite people saying they are too floppy. Ive got bass up to 25 Ibs no prob and mine cast anything up to 2 ounces like a dream. Plus it makes the fall a little more sporty which is fun.. Spent all spring using it to snag and drop in the dark and I think the softness helped me snag and drop without having to let the fish run at all. Might have only missed 2 run offs out of 20 and all fish hooked right in the corner of the mouth.
You will enjoy it for sure
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
SS/Veteran

Let us know how it turns out Joe. I envision building my first few like this when finally get started.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snufflofogus View Post
Hey, am I right in assuming that is the S1 blank?..Super parabolic. I have one and I love it despite people saying they are too floppy. Ive got bass up to 25 Ibs no prob and mine cast anything up to 2 ounces like a dream. Plus it makes the fall a little more sporty which is fun.. Spent all spring using it to snag and drop in the dark and I think the softness helped me snag and drop without having to let the fish run at all. Might have only missed 2 run offs out of 20 and all fish hooked right in the corner of the mouth.
You will enjoy it for sure
As of now, rated 1 - 4 it seens a bit stiffer than I thought which, is good. The handle will not flex but the tip section will have a nice even arch, for lack of better words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Let us know how it turns out Joe. I envision building my first few like this when finally get started.
I should have the rest of my supplies by Fri., or so Fedex says, so I can start it this weekend.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Well getting some good advice from some long time custom builders so,,,, will have to return a couple guides and just ordered 3 more, 1 in a different size (smaller gathering and different reduction guides) and 2 more choker size running guides. But, will start the butt section this weekend, get the reel seat mounted and cork tape grips. Dress it with a few windings, winding checks and send it on its way.

Keep you posted.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Very nice! Im paying close attention!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Joe, nice setup and wondered if you could do some light teaching along the way?

in simplest terms, what do you mean by "build on the axis" or "build on the spine"?

no need for a ton of info as I will likely never ever do this, but just curious!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Joe, nice setup and wondered if you could do some light teaching along the way?

in simplest terms, what do you mean by "build on the axis" or "build on the spine"?

no need for a ton of info as I will likely never ever do this, but just curious!
Yes. For lack of better terms, in the older days, builders used to build on the spine or 180 off the spine. Think of your spine in your back, only one natural way it wants to bend.

So when you spine your blank, you roll it on a flat surface, and when you see it settle in down on a natural curve, that's the inside of the spine. Kinda like you bending forward, your tummy is on the inside of that bend, your spine is 180 from that.

Anywho, builders liked to build on the spine for casting and 180 off spine for spinning. I am doing the latter due to the fact this blank is just so straight. Even though it really doesn't matter anymore.

But now, builders and manufactures just build on the straightest sited line of the blank and say the spine has NO meaning. For me its above bold type.

Now I tested casted the blank and test retrieved to figure where my most comfortable placement for the reel seat and I'm on my way.

Remembed I am no pro builder here and have always learned along the way. Many pros out there who are very willing to help and thats much appreciated.
Being only my official 2nd build it really hepls.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:51 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Makes sense, Joe, thanks!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

U bond mounted seat
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Joe when you say U Bond Mounted, did you not build up a arbor for the seat? Also curipus to learn your guide choice for this build.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Yes, I use fiber drywall tape, it kinds looks like roll screen. and make 2 arbors with it, leave 3/4 inch between and about 1/4 at ends, fill gaps with u bond, u bond the tape and slide seat on.

My guides are the stainless fuji KWAG.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Cork on, winding checks on, butt cap on. Did one wrap and one coat of Threadmaster Lite. Want to see how the TM lite will cure before deciding to use it on all wraps.

Now I am looking for some sort of check or something to make the transition from the wrap up on to the cork grip, Last rod I did I just wound up on the cork but, didn't like that.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Well all I did this past weekend is to wrap and finish my tip section female end. Wrapped about 2 inches up.
Worked my second job mon-thurs this week and wedding Sat and Sunday a list of things my wife has set up for me.
But, will throw some time on Sun for placing / taping guides on to test for position and maybe start the foot underwraps. Oh get the toptop on too.

Another big one is guide prep. Don't like that one.

Found a great way, from suggestions, to keep bubbles out of my finish. Mix in cup and poor on alum.foil, breath (hot air) on the finish on the foil and bubbles just disapear. Do the same, a few breathes on the wraps after applying finish and about 15 seconds with a torch and bubbles if any, gone.