Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Rod Makers Wrap Up

Rod Makers Wrap Up How big is yours?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Default swapping handles

Hey All,
Now that the off season is here I wanted to take on a winter project that I'm not sure how to start. I have an 11 foot shimano tiralejo 3-7 ounce rod that I really enjoy. The action is great and it casts a mile but I don't like the gimmicky handle they build them with it adds a lot of unnessecary weight to the blank and I would like to remove it and replace it with a more traditional handle, most likely grip tape or something similar that would save weight . Could anyone point me in the right direction with info or books that might help me get started on the removal of the old handle, and then the actual replacement? Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
Snuffy
Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: swapping handles

if i was holding the rod in my hands, i would see what needs to be done.i have done many,just needs to be studied.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks Joe,
It's a bit odd, looks like the handle has that shrink wrap sort of deal, figure I can probably cut one end and peel off. Just not sure what to do if it is epoxied
Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator

I have to agree, something I'd have to see. I known on a rod building forum I belong to, people do it often. I hear folks replacing the shrink wrap \ cord handles on the various St Croix's with cork tape and sometimes cork tape with shrink over it. Also some use the 5 inch hypalon grips that can just be slipped over. So yes, I'm sure it can be done and done nicely. Good luck. Joe
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 AM
SS/Veteran

is the rod 2 pc.? if it is, is there a guide on the butt pc.? if not, then its a lot simpler.
since the new seat can slide on from the top. can you pull off the butt cap and see underneath?