Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Kib and The Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Boat View Post
I'm late to this thread, but to answer a question: the MV Derby dropped stripers from the tournament in 1985 and didn't reinstate them until 1994 when the species was officially declared restored. The number of Derby participants increased every year during this period, with bonito, albies and blues taking up the slack. Popular sentiment almost unanimously supported and helped the conservation effort. I believe it will again.
Kib-

I don't understand "The Derby"! I know you have always fished it but reading your book, I can't help but think that your family was quite well off by comparison to the typical family today. Aside from that, you gotta be (even) older than Frank and he's ancient! How the hell can I afford to not work, pay for bills AND accommodations/food for a month to fish for "the fun of it"? How does that work for the average participant?
I have a flounder fishing customer who fished the entire Derby this past fall and he could only do it because he is a cop on disability with full pay. His bills are paid.
How do other people do it?

JC

617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Kib and The Derby

JC,
The only people who fish the entire Derby are Islanders who live here plus a few others who are retired or can afford a month vacation. Most off-Islanders come for a short visit. Because I live and work here I can fish a couple of hours - or not - on a daily basis, Derby notwithstanding. I do that from May through October and into November. My most intense fishing is in May and June. We don't have a decent fall run anymore; so the fishing during the Derby is mediocre at best. The contest survives because of its longstanding history and tradition. It doesn't require much money to participate, just free time. Yes, I have few years on Frank, although he's probably logged more hours fishing even though I started in the 1930's ...
Best,
Kib
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM

Kib nailed the explanation of who fishes the entire Derby. Being retired and having a daughter who lives on the island gives me a boost in fishing the Derby. I know hardcores who plan their vacation time to coincide with the Derby dates and allocate a lot of their disposable income towards it. It's serious business for them. They couldn't imagine not being there.

And..... if you live on the Island and need an electrical, plumber or other craftsman during the Derby.....forget it! Their trucks and vans are all parked along the surf.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 PM

That is my dream! To be at a stage where I can be a fishing bum for a month or more. The only ones I've ever seen pull this off were public sector people who retired early on a pension, or those who retired but still physcally able. If I am lucky, I will be in the second category, in 10 years or less.

But that's why I am so agitated about the status of striped bass. I can see it slipping away. This past Nov was quite bad by me. If MV was half as bad, I wouldn't bother buying a ferry pass.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM

The number of stripers weighed into the Derby was down 40%from the prior year.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM
SS/Veteran

I see there is not much "activity" here where they stuck this thread. The last post was a month ago and I didn't see it! Goes to show you though, The MA DMF was likely "smoking something" when they were telling me just last year that there is nothing wrong with the bass stocks........JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com