Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Default A trip of firsts...

Well, NWB beat me to the punch! You may view the images from the trip in her thread. At any rate last trip was definitely an outstanding trip of "firsts".

As a little preface, about 3wks. ago NWB and I were in a car accident. She was heading up a hill in her truck and I was riding shotgun. A deer ran out of no where and being she was on the throttle going up hill, she had a knee jerk reaction to it, slammed the throttle missed the dear and planted us into a tree. I got a few small facial lacerations, but in all was no worse for the wear. I've been in worse. NWB on the other hand sustained a broken fibia about 4" above her ankle.

So when I got back from my last trip and told her there was a bass bite she said she wanted to go, but was reluctant because of her cast and lack of mobility. I said"Screw it!!! If you want to fish, I'll make it work for us and your comfort will be my priority." I'm at a point in my angling life where getting someone else hooked up is as thrilling as myself hooking up. Needless to say I didn't have to "twist her arm" too hard, to have her accompany me.

At this point we'll jump to the beach. I set her up at the crest of the downslope of the beach, at the highwater mark. I put out a reclining beach chair, her crutch in a sand spike, the 12' ugly stick spiked within arms reach, and a fold out chair so she could elevate her broken leg. Then moved the vehicle in as a wind break. Knowing she was going to be sedentary, I helped wrap her up in her sleeping bag, and she just needed to sit back and watch the rod tip light while I went after it with the long rod. I baited the rod, as I didn't want her handling the wet clams in those temps. I cast the rod to the most choice looking areas, with the most wave action. The ocean was laid way down after the hard westerlies, so the best water for clams was the roughest behind the bar.

The first cast went out, and in little time she had a skate on the beach. She was thrilled. Shortly after that, I hear a barely audible sound and look over at her to see the rod bent. Bennyraw was there watching while she did battle from her makeshift "fighting chair". The fish was landed and it was her first bass. It was maybe a long 23". I brought it to her to be photographed, she and her first striper ever. I put out another cast and went back to flyfishing. Benn had left and now NWB was for the most part unattended. I don't know what made me look back over my shoulder, but I did, and don't ya' know it the rod was being handled. I made my way back and see NWB obviously working in a good fish. I went down to the water and in a short time a fat 26" bass was beached. So now she has her first keeper. She went on to hook one more bass that as she said "fought like hell!!!" and was released. All this before it "really" got interesting!

The Texan on a snowy beach!!!
NWB is from Texas, so consequently snow scenes are somewhat foreign to her. As the night progressed, she grew tired. We left Pa. around 5:30pm and after catching her fish, she fatigued about 2am. and needed a nap. So she dozed off. I had worked all day, and was going on about 4hrs. of sleep because I was securing our provisions for the trip the previous night. I decided to sit down and watch the bait stick while she slept. Well before to long it started to flurry. I pulled out my blue tarp and draped it over her entire body, head to toe. I became so tired sitting in th cold and flurries that fatigue over took me. About 4am I wake up to a burning in my feet, a sensation I've come to know all to well as early stages of frost bite. I stand up, brush off about 3" of snow and start the vehicle and turn the foot vent on full bore. I cleared my eyes, got my senses, and looked at NWB. There wasn't anything to see accept a mound of snow. She had become covered by a 3" coating of snow, and was asleep. I grew concerned because if my feet were in the first stages of frost bite, which rarely happens anymore, it was highly likely that she could be hypothermic and asleep, which nothing good would come of. I jumped out of the car and stood over her and called her name. She responded and said she felt fine, much to my extreme amazement. I told her to get in the car. I rolled back the snow tarp, and got her moving to the car. She had never been on a beach with snow on it, so she was amazed and exicited, not to mention quite warm. At this point we discuss options, and decided that because the trip was already a success that we would forsake the trophy hunt and make our way back to home, motivated by thoughts of a warm shower and a toasty water bed with our names all over it.

Snow Hell...
We're outbound on 37 after fueling up, and it quickly dawns on me that this ride home is gonna' suck royally!!! There was 4" of slippery mush on 37 and it carried all the way onto the GSP. The max velocity I could hold on there was 40mph. The trip takes 3hrs. if 75mph is held. Do the math. We crept down the GSP, crawled a little quicker on 287, started moving a little faster on 78, and the crept again on 31 through 46. Once on 80 and then 380 things were clear and smooth sailing was achieved. We arrived home 5hrs. after our departure. Those driving conditions were by far the worst conditions I've ever had to brave to get home, and it SUCKED!!!

So there ya' have it. Talk about trying to rationalize the ends justifying the means. The trip was the essence of an adventure. We came, we saw, we caught, we braved a slushy hell getting home, and we feasted at 11pm, on a whole baked bass stuffed with crab stuffing!!!

Finally, although I didn't hook up, the fact that she did, and is as enthusiastic as ever about going back...
That's success, and she didn't complain about anything at all!!!

Now her sights are set on the tog charter with GT and SG on New years eve!!!
Bring on the white chins!!!

Last edited by Fish Tank : 12-06-2005 at 09:16 PM. Reason: omitted word
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: A trip of firsts...

Thanks Hank, Truly a great story. Joe
Old 12-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Great story to a great trip FT

But next time when the roads are that bad get a room at a local Motel untill they get cleared up.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Togalicious Moderator

Wow, do you more chairs? If you promise to bait me up and do all that I might just hit the beach with you

Can't wait to watch you both bait up hooks with live greenies
Old 12-07-2005, 11:31 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

that is one outstanding trip report FT!!!

many congrats on landing more than just a first keeper

btw, you probably already know this, but you created in effect a snow
cave for NWB, which is an outstanding backcountry survival technique to avoid
hypothermia .. you by being exposed, were much more subject to frostbite/hypothermia than she was at any time
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottog
Wow, do you more chairs? If you promise to bait me up and do all that I might just hit the beach with you

Can't wait to watch you both bait up hooks with live greenies

btw, when you getting them out on a tog boat? maybe I'll tag along
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Togalicious Moderator

I'm usually out every weekend tog'n

This trip is a charter on 12/31 that looks to be full right now.

Will be in Arizona this weekend, but probably out tog'n monday and/or tuesday. The following weekend I'll be out drowning crabs again
Old 12-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Great story, Tank and Congrats to NWB.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 PM

Talking Re: A trip of firsts...

Thanks for the post. BTW we are looking for the picture NWB said you would show us.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
SS/Veteran

I put them up on her thread, but here they are any how...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Togalicious Moderator

The crutch in the rod holder just makes me laugh
Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
SS/Veteran

I'll tell ya' what, after the snow that wound up covering everything, if that sucker wasn't spiked, it'd be gone, and I'd be SCREWED!!!

When I saw that it fit in the spike, I just had to do it!

I love sand spikes!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM
SS/Platinum

Smile Re: A trip of firsts...

Great story FT. Thats got to be cool sleeping on the beach in the snow.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Thumbs up Re: A trip of firsts...

Great story and pictures..

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
SS/Veteran

great story FT, some adventure. Glad everyone survived the deer accident and also came back from the beach with their toes intact!