Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Default The trip looms large.

In about 12 days I will be off to the happy hunting grounds...NO not Sandy Hook! I will partake in 5 nights of surfcasting for stripers, most of which will be over 15 pounds and the good possibility of a OINK!! We will search exclusively for the OINK. It will be a riggorous, physically demanding trip, where we will walk miles of bouldery beaches and fish in almost complete darkness. To prepare for a trip like this I workout very hard, I walk roughly 5 miles a day as well as doing a lot of leg exercises and upper body conditioning, I have been doing this for 5 weeks now. My biggest fear is getting to a place where I can really bang fish and then being too tired to do the task. It has happened before. Where my buddies bang fish and I sit and watch b/c my body was too tired. Sound weird? Yes! Is it that hard at times?? Yes! Thus, I state my case so that some of you may understand the riggors of hardcore casting and being successful. There is nothing worse that when your mind says "YES...GO MAN GO!" and your body says...."Uh, I don't think so buck-o."

Being that the fish we pursue may be huge, I constantly think and re-think my strategies much more than normal, I check and re-check my hooks and split rings. I go over my lure selection repeatedly, only the best swimmers get the call this time. They get packed for travel. Only big ones that would tempt a titan are even considered. This is not a place for thinking small, not a place for compromise.

As the trip draws closer the nights of good sleep get shorter, the tossing and turning begins. You envision great battles that you have experienced, battles lost seem the worst, they haunt you in the night. You wonder how it could have been different, you re-live the mistakes you made, what you would have done differently. You watch the light of a new morning creep through your blinds, it came too quick.
You get pumped for that first bump followed by a serious strike the pulls your rod tip down hard and then your drag let's out a long sustained groan as you try to pull your rod back up to the vertical position. You begin to to say 'Uh-oh, is this the one? Did I go too light on the rod? Maybe I should have gone bigger. Do I have enough capacity? The line dumps with no signs of let-up and you get this sinking feeling that your dingy just sprung a major league leak. Then in the distance somewhere you hear a sound...'what is that?' You say, you ignore it, the fish slowly evaporates and the sounds grows stronger and you reach across your body and turn your alarm off. You crawl from bed and walk down the hall and get dressed and dissappear into a cold windy morning. You will bide your time for now and continue to work the dress rehearsals until the big time finally lies before you and 'the' show begins.
The trip looms large...for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The trip looms large.

hey man, email me when you get a chance with some details. I have some days off i need to use before the end of the year! I might be able to head up and work some things out....we can jump in my van or we can take your truck. or I might be able to meet you guys or 2 or 3 nights and not nail the entire trip.

I might need to get a 250 ASAP or see if my 150 can handle it.

I will do what it takes....ready to demolish some large!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Sounds like fun enjoy it for as long as you can (and may that be another 50+ years), sounds like you got the physical and mental parts conditioned just right their in lies the hard part. To bad my body and mind gave out at 29. As always looking foward to the stories that will come with your return of the "oink".

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Sounds just like a walk on trip to IBSP

Good luck DJ

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 AM
SS/Veteran

I wanna go, I wanna go ........ Just don't hire the guide from Montauk..
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Togalicious Moderator

Damn, and that's all before his first cup of coffee

Go get em DJ!!!