Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Default Bay vs ocean

Thanks for the add to the group. I was just looking for some insight to the bay vs ocean during the fall run. I almost always fish the bay. I was considering getting a beach pass this year to fish the ocean for fall run. The bay is only a block away from me. Will there be that much more action in the ocean?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Bay vs ocean

kinda depends on how far north/south you are, but in general early has more action in the bay, and later the ocean... once the water temps drop, the bait fish really pour out and run the ocean front, with most (not all) fish following.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:54 PM

There are the big migrating fish to consider, too.
They might take a turn into someplace like the Raritan Bay / New York Harbor complex, but I don't think you will see as many 20 lb and larger fish in the Barnegat Bay as you will in the ocean..
Now another question entirely is where the fish will be. Last year you had to be in just the right place to encounter the biggies within casting distance of the sand. I was consistently not in the right place... Other years I hit it much more successfully.

There were, however, tons of schoolies and rats in the wash until way late in the season last year, even as late as New Years, which I don't think can be said for any of the bays.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:46 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
There are the big migrating fish to consider, too.
They might take a turn into someplace like the Raritan Bay / New York Harbor complex, but I don't think you will see as many 20 lb and larger fish in the Barnegat Bay as you will in the ocean..
Now another question entirely is where the fish will be. Last year you had to be in just the right place to encounter the biggies within casting distance of the sand. I was consistently not in the right place... Other years I hit it much more successfully.

There were, however, tons of schoolies and rats in the wash until way late in the season last year, even as late as New Years, which I don't think can be said for any of the bays.

down here our run of bigs come in the spring... the fall fish are too far out.

our fall fish are mostly in the teens / low 20s max

up nawth you get a better shot at bigs as the big baits hug closer to the shore.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of good info. Heading out tommorow thinking of heading where river meets bay. Heard there?s lots of bait held up in the river. Maybe this cold night will push them down.