Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-10-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Re: July & August 2018 Fishing Reports

Moco Outfront dawn patrol. rain fish /spearing and small striped rats running the waves by the lip. Unable to hook one up, but they were plentiful.
Went to the back at Noon and there were peanuts, small thread fin shad, spearing/rainfish and small snappers as far as I could see. Three spin castersl hooked up with a few 4-5 lb bluefish as they atttacked the baitfishin hit and run fashion in the shallow water,
retreating and returning....and then they are gone.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:03 PM
SS/Veteran

I hit the beach today for the outgoing, two short fluke and a few robins, the water was like bath water.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 PM

CMCo Outfront today without my gear. Calico sheds everywhere on the sand!!??
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 AM

I can hardly wait for the season to take the turn to the fall dynamic.

What's the key, just time or temps?
What brings the Albies to the neighborhood?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I feel like they should be arriving any day now but this rain definitely doesn?t help. It?s been my experience that Albies like clear water on our shore but friends have caught on block island in less than ideal water conditions. Was able to get out at sunrise and sunset yesterday but in sweet water. Tried out a Berkeley liver bait for cats in the morning with no takers but managed a small bass and bluegill on small chartreuse curly tail on 1/8 oz jig head. In the evening I said screw the liver and finished off an old jar of garlic powebait to land two cats off the stake but the real action was top water on a weeblewop. Had two largemouth that hit it just as it landed nothing with any real size but I like using an ultralight with 4lb test so any fish is fun ended up with 8 bass total for the evening most in a 30 minute span where the retrieve was slow but fishing was fast
Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Senior Fellow

in Florida as part of my move; went to the beach to give it a try with a big silver spoon; first cast...bang; nice fish fought hard; in close and silver body came out and shook its head and game over; guessing small tarpon....or world record white perch!!!; got all excited and spent 45 min without another tap; back in NJ tomorrow for fluke
Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 PM

Bill, been away to Alaska with my wife and another non fishing couple. Saw tons and tons of Salmon but couldn't work in a trip. From what I hear from my little birds you have a better chance of catching a Fluke down there
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM

I'm looking forward to having a chance to try out my new casting floats. I guess I could give them a shot just about anywhere with a Clouser type fly attached. Any blue would hit that as well as whatever else is around. I think I'm going to make a run for the salt this Thursday. Looks like the nicest day in a while.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM

...and we'll leave a light on for you, Bill.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:28 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
I can hardly wait for the season to take the turn to the fall dynamic.

What's the key, just time or temps?

the migration of rainfish out of the back, which is primarily time of year (aka "light") induced, primarily not solely, and then stable weather (which we have right now... popup storms don't mess up a pattern, a coastal system does)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM

Thanks Rob!

So here's to expectations and not holding my breath.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
the migration of rainfish out of the back, which is primarily time of year (aka "light") induced, primarily not solely, and then stable weather (which we have right now... popup storms don't mess up a pattern, a coastal system does)
This is what I believe as well, I couldn't really state it any better!

I feel fisherman focus way too much on water temps and in my experience, the bass seem to feed aggressively in 45-65f degree water. But at the same time, I have had great fishing in 40 and 75f degree water as well so I pay less attention to water temp than I do availability of baitfish...

I spent my weekend up in the Cape Cod Canal and ended up with 19 bass to mid 20# range.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
...and we'll leave a light on for you, Bill.
Thanks JC. Move work almost done and ready to get back to the beach. Mullet anyone?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM

Many rain fish being washed onto the beach in Sea Bright this morning and birds were feasting. Tried casting a Hopkins Shorty but no takers. Concluded nothing underneath as there was no surface activity. Low tide and strong westerly wind.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 PM

Moco Outfront west wind with thigh high swell that was kept flat and textured by the 10 to15mph wind. The water was warm and as clear as I've ever hoped for! Small rain fish being chased by snappers of several sizes. I was using the 3/4 ounce hopkins shorty and plastic eyed clouser as teaser. I caught just under a dozen shorts and on every cast that I didn't catch a flat one the snappers tore up the teaser. Several large sea robins were caught and released also. I was struck by the good idea fairy and went back to the car for a longer salmon rod and float rig. I put a loop at the bottom of the float rig and attached the torn up teaser. Caught a 8 inch snapper removed him and the teaser and then added to the loop a 4/0 Octopus hook. Gave the whole mess a toss and watched the float slowly get towed through the trough to deeper water. The float disappeared I counted to 3 and set the hook. Caught the largest sea robin of the day. Did a repeat same thing happened but after a longer wait. I hooked a very large flat one that was five feet from the sand before he spit the hook.
Lesson learned today: Count to six and use a bigger hook when fishing for big flat fish!

Here is a sea robin swallowing a snapper.
Attached Images