Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 PM

Default Jigging rod?

I know this is a "surf" forum, but I have an occasional opportunity to go for a boat ride and am thinking of trying to find a nice, smallish jigging rod combo to try fluking or tauging withal. Any recommendations for something in the conventional style, sensitive but with a backbone to handle the 8 pounders I'm dreaming of. I saw something like on John Skinner's recent fluke jigging video.
Oh, and I don't need the Van Stal / St. Croix equivalent.

My budget and aspirations are not anywhere near in sync.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Jigging rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I know this is a "surf" forum, but I have an occasional opportunity to go for a boat ride and am thinking of trying to find a nice, smallish jigging rod combo to try fluking or tauging withal. Any recommendations for something in the conventional style, sensitive but with a backbone to handle the 8 pounders I'm dreaming of. I saw something like on John Skinner's recent fluke jigging video.
Oh, and I don't need the Van Stal / St. Croix equivalent.

My budget and aspirations are not anywhere near in sync.
Talk to Yarddog he?s got the right setup to catch fish.
Save your money and get A Abu 5500 with 10lb test braid and a mojo inshore. You will fell the fluke breathing on your bait.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:01 PM

It looks like those Mojo's are all $130 or so. What would YardDog recommend as to heavy medium fast slow, etc?
How's the Blue Max 5500 compared to the regular 5500? They're both about the same $.
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 PM

Joe, we don't need casting distance from the boat so to me there are so many better options than the Abu's for vertical jigging. The Abu reels are great casting reels but (IMO) they fail on so many other levels compared to more modern designs (drag, retrieve rate, smoothness).

Take a look at the new Shimano Curado.

I have a Quantum Accurist (the "Skinner") reel for my light tackle fluking - I am not very fond of it compared to my Shimano's its already acting up and I haven't fished with it that much. But then again I have to remind myself that I paid $75 for it which is about 1/3 of what most of my Shimano's cost.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanks, I'll look them up.
Cheers!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:38 AM

I received a new outfit yesterday and was a little puzzled when I put it together. The reel handle was on the right side, so when I practiced the casting motion I would have had to switch hands to reel in. This is my first foray into casting technology and I'm really not sure if I'm just getting this wrong.

I DO know that a casting reel is held on the up side of the rod, but I strongly believe that I should be casting with my dominant hand (right) and reeling with my left.

Confirm that or tell me I'm an idiot, please.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Joe, I am dominant left-handed but when I grew up, every Penn conventional reel, you reeled in with your right hand it was no choice this is what you had to do. I do the same with my Spinners, I reel with my right hand (that is called a lefty in the spinning world).
It's a matter of comfort. Today, casting reels now give you the option of a left or right hand retrieve, so if you feel that the fishing reel you bought is incorrect , swap it out for one with the handle on the opposite side.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM

I realized that I want to use the conventional rig just like I do my spinning rod - cast with the right and reel with the left. Am I wrong to want this? Do I have some latent antisocial twist deep in my soul? Do I need help?
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I realized that I want to use the conventional rig just like I do my spinning rod - cast with the right and reel with the left. Am I wrong to want this? Do I have some latent antisocial twist deep in my soul? Do I need help?
Joe, most people are ?righties? so not knowing that you crank with your left hand, as I do, they were telling you what they prefer in a certain make of reel and maybe it isn?t made in a ?left?hand crank and just assumed you were righty. Most models might say LH for a conventional with a left hand crank. In a spinning reel, a lefty would Cast with the left hand and reel with the right. I think. My abu?s, akios and avet are left hand crank.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
SS/Veteran

In a previous post I even mentioned a abu 5500 and assumed that you were a right handed cranker, lefty are 5501, when I go on a charter, I use my own reels because nobody but nobody has a lefty for customers.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 AM

Yup, I'm sure now that I don't want to crank with my right hand.
It's a customer service issue at this point.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 AM

Now I've got 2 new rods to fill this niche, as it turns out.

- a Tsunami Slimwave 7 foot Medium Heavy rod, 1/2 to 2 oz., 10 to 30# line, and

- a 7 foot casting setup from KastKing, about the some specs

I get to go out with a buddy to the Barnegat Reef today and will try them out.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:05 PM

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
Old 08-31-2018, 04:57 PM

I have 2 Penn Fierce II combos I use for fluke, both from shore and boat. $90, really cannot be beat for the price. However, I have a St Croix Premier and Abu Garcia set up for fresh water LMB fishing and my idea of lightness and sensitivity has changed. When I use that rod for jigs or senkos, it's incredible. You feel more and it is more sensitive. Not necessary but as a result I'll probably upgrade to something similar for fluke eventually. I do have a St Croix Mojo Surf I just bought for trying out surf fishing. Feeling more is good not just for bites but for understanding the bottom. I don't have a boat or live close enough to get myself to have a St Croix for fluke but it can't be a bad thing.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Now I've got 2 new rods to fill this niche, as it turns out.

- a Tsunami Slimwave 7 foot Medium Heavy rod, 1/2 to 2 oz., 10 to 30# line, and

- a 7 foot casting setup from KastKing, about the some specs

I get to go out with a buddy to the Barnegat Reef today and will try them out.

...The rigs work very well so far. I landed short fluke and larger skate on my first outing using them. Both are very sensitive and the Tsunami will turn out to be the more versatile of the two, I think. I have a Penn Battle II 3000 on it, and it both jigs well and casts light lures quite well. I can imagine it landing my first Albie....