Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
For a change went surf fishing to SH on Sunday morning...strong winds were getting even stronger as the morning progressed...it was difficult to cast since the current and the wind were going parallel to the shore...a lot of people standing around and waiting for albies to show or any signs of bass ...it did not happened at least while I was there...7am to 10am...did not catch anything and did not see anybody else connect...I was puzzled to see several fly fishermen trying to cast a fly into heavy winds gusting to 40 mph...
The wind was great! It chased all the sissy albie assassins off the beach! Rumor has it that their Van Staals are tougher then they are!
The last man standing caught four striped ones on the fly once the beach cleared out and he didn't have to cast INTO the wind! wave:
Old 10-22-2018, 10:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
The wind was great! It chased all the sissy albie assassins off the beach! Rumor has it that their Van Staals are tougher then they are!
The last man standing caught four striped ones on the fly once the beach cleared out and he didn't have to cast INTO the wind! wave:
This Saturday, 25 to 35 in our face, I?ll brig the wine, you bring the cheese, we?ll have a party
Old 10-23-2018, 10:26 AM

Going to head down around 2 p.m. on Friday and give it a pre storm try.
Probably going to start around the hook and work my way south if anyone wants to meet up
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
This Saturday, 25 to 35 in our face, I?ll brig the wine, you bring the cheese, we?ll have a party
I suppose no time for fishing then...
Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 PM

northern Sandy Hook. Outgoing from 7 till midnight. One nice Slob thanks to Rui's heads up, and 10 shorts. Good seeing Don and Lee so far from their home turf. BTW Don, The big girl was caught where you started from. 7 shorts on the way home where we first met up. The moon was out but had some cloud cover. Once it got bright the bite slowed
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Nice fish Bass!!
Had to get home Lee had an early morning today. We’ll be back up soon, unless you guys figure out how to close the Parkway ����
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
northern Sandy Hook. Outgoing from 7 till midnight. One nice Slob thanks to Rui's heads up, and 10 shorts. Good seeing Don and Lee so far from their home turf. BTW Don, The big girl was caught where you started from. 7 shorts on the way home where we first met up. The moon was out but had some cloud cover. Once it got bright the bite slowed

looks like that fish brought you to your knees!!!! nice job,,,,will this put an end to the gloom???
Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
Nice Fish Bill!

Moco Outfront today. West wind flat seas small swell. Rainfish spearing and bay anchovies in the wash. I was on the fly and caught over twenty hickory shad and lost count after fifteen, on 15 - 20 inch striped ones. They loved the green and white Lefty's deceiver today. No allbies surfaced from my view.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Nice fish Bass!!
Had to get home Lee had an early morning today. We?ll be back up soon, unless you guys figure out how to close the Parkway ����
I?ll just post that I seen sand eels at IBSP, that will send everyone your way
Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM

Beautiful fish Bill Couldn't help but notice the rod. Old school?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Cuz, that's a 7' 6" ML st. croix blank that I put together for Fluke. The reel is a Penn Clash which is a POS. I went light because of the dinks in the area. I caught a few 12 to 15 lb Blues off the yak with it but it's already bumpy. Far below the standard I expected. First Penn I bought in over 25 years....and my last. Oh yeah, the drag works fine.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 PM

I got to take a walk out to the Hook this morning to see if it was windy. It was. (20+ mph the whole time.) Still, there was a guy in front of me working a fish as I walked up and I suddenly didn't mind the wind so much. I ended up with 6 fish in 2.5 hours fishing, 4 short stripes and 2 hickory shad. I got the shad and 1 short on my teaser.
It took a while of fruitless casting into the teeth of the wind with wild waves and a fast outflowing tide before I figured out where the fish were. I needed a 1 oz bucktail with a curly tail to cast out far enough and get down deep enough. The guy who was catching when I got there caught 4 to my 1, at least, using a 1 oz head on a 6" storm search bait. It just pissed me off that he was hooking a fish every few minutes and I was fishing 30 feet over and couldn't get a tap.
Still, it was a magnificent day to watch the water move!
Oh, and I met Bill Rubel! He was leaving just as I got there. I will miss you!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 PM

fished the bay from 7-9pm. clear water with no bait at all, caught the skunk
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I got to take a walk out to the Hook this morning to see if it was windy. It was. (20+ mph the whole time.) Still, there was a guy in front of me working a fish as I walked up and I suddenly didn't mind the wind so much. I ended up with 6 fish in 2.5 hours fishing, 4 short stripes and 2 hickory shad. I got the shad and 1 short on my teaser.
It took a while of fruitless casting into the teeth of the wind with wild waves and a fast outflowing tide before I figured out where the fish were. I needed a 1 oz bucktail with a curly tail to cast out far enough and get down deep enough. The guy who was catching when I got there caught 4 to my 1, at least, using a 1 oz head on a 6" storm search bait. It just pissed me off that he was hooking a fish every few minutes and I was fishing 30 feet over and couldn't get a tap.
Still, it was a magnificent day to watch the water move!
Oh, and I met Bill Rubel! He was leaving just as I got there. I will miss you!
I swear, 15-20 in your face is the place. When will you people believe me I have seen so many people casting to Portugal and coming up empty, when the fish are at there feet. 30 is even better. Look for me Saturday, I?ll be the guy leaning horizontal in the wind.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I swear, 15-20 in your face is the place. When will you people believe me I have seen so many people casting to Portugal and coming up empty, when the fish are at there feet. 30 is even better. Look for me Saturday, I?ll be the guy leaning horizontal in the wind.
Joe did you notice if he was dumping a lot of line to get deeper or farther out. On the outgoing out there they might be deeper or just farther out, and dumping half your line might get you into that ?zone?