Home

 
     HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING
 
Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #196  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 PM
yarddog yarddog is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: new jersey
Posts: 451
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
For a change went surf fishing to SH on Sunday morning...strong winds were getting even stronger as the morning progressed...it was difficult to cast since the current and the wind were going parallel to the shore...a lot of people standing around and waiting for albies to show or any signs of bass ...it did not happened at least while I was there...7am to 10am...did not catch anything and did not see anybody else connect...I was puzzled to see several fly fishermen trying to cast a fly into heavy winds gusting to 40 mph...
The wind was great! It chased all the sissy albie assassins off the beach! Rumor has it that their Van Staals are tougher then they are!
The last man standing caught four striped ones on the fly once the beach cleared out and he didn't have to cast INTO the wind! wave:
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:05 PM
Bayyaker's Avatar
Bayyaker Bayyaker is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,691
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
The wind was great! It chased all the sissy albie assassins off the beach! Rumor has it that their Van Staals are tougher then they are!
The last man standing caught four striped ones on the fly once the beach cleared out and he didn't have to cast INTO the wind! wave:
This Saturday, 25 to 35 in our face, I?ll brig the wine, you bring the cheese, we?ll have a party
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:26 AM
NJ Dave NJ Dave is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: HasbrouckHeights NJ USA
Posts: 744
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Going to head down around 2 p.m. on Friday and give it a pre storm try.
Probably going to start around the hook and work my way south if anyone wants to meet up
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 AM
computeruser's Avatar
computeruser computeruser is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: River Edge, NJ
Posts: 726
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
This Saturday, 25 to 35 in our face, I?ll brig the wine, you bring the cheese, we?ll have a party
I suppose no time for fishing then...
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 PM
basstard's Avatar
basstard basstard is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Matawan
Posts: 851
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

northern Sandy Hook. Outgoing from 7 till midnight. One nice Slob thanks to Rui's heads up, and 10 shorts. Good seeing Don and Lee so far from their home turf. BTW Don, The big girl was caught where you started from. 7 shorts on the way home where we first met up. The moon was out but had some cloud cover. Once it got bright the bite slowed
Attached Images
 
__________________
Every day's a saturday, every night's a Friday night.
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
DonLBI's Avatar
DonLBI DonLBI is offline
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,128
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Nice fish Bass!!
Had to get home Lee had an early morning today. We’ll be back up soon, unless you guys figure out how to close the Parkway ����
__________________
It's all about that Bass, no treble.......
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,921
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
northern Sandy Hook. Outgoing from 7 till midnight. One nice Slob thanks to Rui's heads up, and 10 shorts. Good seeing Don and Lee so far from their home turf. BTW Don, The big girl was caught where you started from. 7 shorts on the way home where we first met up. The moon was out but had some cloud cover. Once it got bright the bite slowed

looks like that fish brought you to your knees!!!! nice job,,,,will this put an end to the gloom???
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 PM
yarddog yarddog is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: new jersey
Posts: 451
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
northern Sandy Hook. Outgoing from 7 till midnight. One nice Slob thanks to Rui's heads up, and 10 shorts. Good seeing Don and Lee so far from their home turf. BTW Don, The big girl was caught where you started from. 7 shorts on the way home where we first met up. The moon was out but had some cloud cover. Once it got bright the bite slowed
Nice Fish Bill!

Moco Outfront today. West wind flat seas small swell. Rainfish spearing and bay anchovies in the wash. I was on the fly and caught over twenty hickory shad and lost count after fifteen, on 15 - 20 inch striped ones. They loved the green and white Lefty's deceiver today. No allbies surfaced from my view.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Bayyaker's Avatar
Bayyaker Bayyaker is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,691
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Nice fish Bass!!
Had to get home Lee had an early morning today. We?ll be back up soon, unless you guys figure out how to close the Parkway ����
I?ll just post that I seen sand eels at IBSP, that will send everyone your way
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM
giacommin's Avatar
giacommin giacommin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: florence,sc
Posts: 527
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Beautiful fish Bill Couldn't help but notice the rod. Old school?
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 10-24-2018, 05:12 PM
basstard's Avatar
basstard basstard is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Matawan
Posts: 851
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Cuz, that's a 7' 6" ML st. croix blank that I put together for Fluke. The reel is a Penn Clash which is a POS. I went light because of the dinks in the area. I caught a few 12 to 15 lb Blues off the yak with it but it's already bumpy. Far below the standard I expected. First Penn I bought in over 25 years....and my last. Oh yeah, the drag works fine.
__________________
Every day's a saturday, every night's a Friday night.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Joseph C. Joseph C. is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 663
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

I got to take a walk out to the Hook this morning to see if it was windy. It was. (20+ mph the whole time.) Still, there was a guy in front of me working a fish as I walked up and I suddenly didn't mind the wind so much. I ended up with 6 fish in 2.5 hours fishing, 4 short stripes and 2 hickory shad. I got the shad and 1 short on my teaser.
It took a while of fruitless casting into the teeth of the wind with wild waves and a fast outflowing tide before I figured out where the fish were. I needed a 1 oz bucktail with a curly tail to cast out far enough and get down deep enough. The guy who was catching when I got there caught 4 to my 1, at least, using a 1 oz head on a 6" storm search bait. It just pissed me off that he was hooking a fish every few minutes and I was fishing 30 feet over and couldn't get a tap.
Still, it was a magnificent day to watch the water move!
Oh, and I met Bill Rubel! He was leaving just as I got there. I will miss you!
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Goudacuda Goudacuda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 18
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

fished the bay from 7-9pm. clear water with no bait at all, caught the skunk
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Bayyaker's Avatar
Bayyaker Bayyaker is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,691
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I got to take a walk out to the Hook this morning to see if it was windy. It was. (20+ mph the whole time.) Still, there was a guy in front of me working a fish as I walked up and I suddenly didn't mind the wind so much. I ended up with 6 fish in 2.5 hours fishing, 4 short stripes and 2 hickory shad. I got the shad and 1 short on my teaser.
It took a while of fruitless casting into the teeth of the wind with wild waves and a fast outflowing tide before I figured out where the fish were. I needed a 1 oz bucktail with a curly tail to cast out far enough and get down deep enough. The guy who was catching when I got there caught 4 to my 1, at least, using a 1 oz head on a 6" storm search bait. It just pissed me off that he was hooking a fish every few minutes and I was fishing 30 feet over and couldn't get a tap.
Still, it was a magnificent day to watch the water move!
Oh, and I met Bill Rubel! He was leaving just as I got there. I will miss you!
I swear, 15-20 in your face is the place. When will you people believe me I have seen so many people casting to Portugal and coming up empty, when the fish are at there feet. 30 is even better. Look for me Saturday, I?ll be the guy leaning horizontal in the wind.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Bayyaker's Avatar
Bayyaker Bayyaker is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,691
Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I swear, 15-20 in your face is the place. When will you people believe me I have seen so many people casting to Portugal and coming up empty, when the fish are at there feet. 30 is even better. Look for me Saturday, I?ll be the guy leaning horizontal in the wind.
Joe did you notice if he was dumping a lot of line to get deeper or farther out. On the outgoing out there they might be deeper or just farther out, and dumping half your line might get you into that ?zone?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sept. & Oct. Fishing Reports 2016 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 447 11-02-2016 09:24 PM
March & April Fishing Reports 2016 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 285 05-02-2016 10:53 AM
JCAA Statement for the NMFS November 18 Hearing to open the EEZ for Striped Bass Fishing. the broken bobber MAIN FORUM 1 11-15-2003 05:44 PM
Salmon River - Pulaski, N.Y. Update: Randy Jones Fishing - New York 1 08-24-2000 02:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2016 StriperSurf.com, All Rights Reserved