Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-25-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

I have a mental picture of the ducks flying low, the CG cutter, and Bayyaker being the only ones there!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
northern Sandy Hook. Outgoing from 7 till midnight. One nice Slob thanks to Rui's heads up, and 10 shorts. Good seeing Don and Lee so far from their home turf. BTW Don, The big girl was caught where you started from. 7 shorts on the way home where we first met up. The moon was out but had some cloud cover. Once it got bright the bite slowed
Glad you came by me and stole my fish
Old 10-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Joe did you notice if he was dumping a lot of line to get deeper or farther out. On the outgoing out there they might be deeper or just farther out, and dumping half your line might get you into that ?zone?

No, he just waited about a 10 count before starting to reel in. The wind and tide moved so hard slack line would have just bellied out sideways.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Senior Fellow

the rip yesterday at dawn; good amount of shad with smaller schoolies mixed it; wind was cranking; saw a big gull pick up a 14in shad and swallow it hole; talk about sushi; while we were there did not see any birds working at all; moved south and heard the reports of Albies showing in Sea Bright and Mon Beach; saw a few bursts at the Allenhurst jetty and Asbury; one in Allenhurst was about 30 ft off jetty and lasted maybe 20 sec; others were too far out; in my time here on the beach I have never seen Albies in this number....will be back at it after the storm next week; and Joe C my reports will continue only it will be tarpon, snook reds, etc
Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Out front OC from 4-930am. Was trying really hard to land a bass with no luck right when I was about to pack it in when I saw a couple of fish jumping 20 yards out. Threw a Hogy Epoxy on and holy moley, I?ve never caught an Albie before, I didn?t really believe the hype but god damn those things fight, probably one of the most exciting catches I?ve ever had. He was 26” and around 13 pounds. I might just ditch striped bass and follow these things down the coast lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by kenyounot : 10-25-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-25-2018, 02:21 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

down in Brig, beautiful sunrise, saw 6 dolphin, a seal, but no fish.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyounot View Post
Out front OC from 4-930am. Was trying really hard to land a bass with no luck right when I was about to pack it in when I saw a couple of fish jumping 20 yards out. Threw a Hogy Epoxy on and holy moley, I?ve never caught an Albie before, I didn?t really believe the hype but god damn those things fight, probably one of the most exciting catches I?ve ever had. He was 26? and around 13 pounds. I might just ditch striped bass and follow these things down the coast lol.
Congratulations, yes amazing fighter. I had a few two years ago on a noodle rod, nuts
Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Out front OC from 4-930am. Was trying really hard to land a bass with no luck right when I was about to pack it in when I saw a couple of fish jumping 20 yards out. Threw a Hogy Epoxy on and holy moley, I?ve never caught an Albie before, I didn?t really believe the hype but god damn those things fight, probably one of the most exciting catches I?ve ever had. He was 26? and around 13 pounds. I might just ditch striped bass and follow these things down the coast lol.
Congrats, a 13 lber is a good sized albie. Been a while for me to even see one, no less get a shot at them.

Guys call it "albie fever" for a reason.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:

congrats on the Albie ;got my first last week and it is something to remember;
Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 PM

I forget which site I was browsing but a couple of years ago a a couple of people were arguing that Albies were over exaggerated and only good on light tackle. One guy even said that he could skip one across the surface with a VS250 and a 10? rod. No XXXXing way. My Slammer drag was screaming and it definitely wasn?t loose.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:25 PM
Senior Fellow

when was the last time there were this number of Albies spread over the coast?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
when was the last time there were this number of Albies spread over the coast?
I?ve heard the 90?s.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:25 PM

Moco 12P to 5p. NW wind that swung to the SE as the swell went from nkle high flat to knee high choppy as the tide dropped and then began to rise. Lots of rain fish in the trough. Hickory and small striped ones caught by several casters. I was on the fly trying aan intermediate line, which did not perform as well as the full sink I normally use. sure looked like it was going to be a good night for larger fish as the storm aproaches.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 PM

Decided to make a trip to Long island. Solid reports for the past three days.
Today was a beach full of a lot of guys making a lot of empty casts with the exception of a few hickory shads. There was reports of a short morning bite. We arrived around 330 and just walked off empty handed.
Threw the entire bag at em 3 times over.....
Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 AM
SS/Veteran

Fished from 5-9, I was hoping for more with this weather moving in, but the incoming tide is not one of my favorites, unfortunately I couldn?t stay with the rest of the Killer B?s. I didn?t get skunked, one short and one keep at 30 inches on the new Burple magdarter.
Still swimming.
Attached Images