Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-27-2018, 12:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

A fisherman lost his bearings last night and missed the trail BenGardner and I pointed him in the right direction, so we thought , I found him today on my way out Evidently the raccoons found him last night .
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Senior Fellow

find any storm shads or SPs/darters
Old 10-27-2018, 07:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Anybody planning to fish the hook tonight, they turned me away. Rangers said it was flooded out there. Got there at low tide and the river looked like high tide. The parking lot looked fishy.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Nice Bay... see what happens when you don’t pay attention to the tide? Ya get shut out
Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 PM

I had a feeling you were planning on swimming out there with the rod in your teeth!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
I had a feeling you were planning on swimming out there with the rod in your teeth!
I told them the wind was turning nw that?s my wind they told me, not tonight I thought something was up, they had waders over there flak jackets and rods in the back of there truck
Old 10-27-2018, 10:12 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post

don't give him ideas
Old 10-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Senior Fellow

B & Ns reports albies, blues and bass today at IBSP; would love to get confirmation
Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM

Lets hope we have some soft structure created, the last few annoying disturbances made the spots I like much shallower. The large amount of small bait, that was here before this last blow, needs to stay near the shoreline!
Old 10-28-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
B & Ns reports albies, blues and bass today at IBSP; would love to get confirmation
Was in IBSP today a lot of guys around me didn?t see one hook up from like 6-9am.

The beach today reminded me of Northern California the beaches there are so flat that the ocean looks like it?s above you. Hope the structure is recreated soon. Also does anyone feel when the surf is like this that it looks like you?re only casting 20 ft in from of you even though you know it must be longer.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:44 AM

I got to IBSP yesterday afternoon and the ocean was very quiet. I saw guys fishing from Seaside to way down in the park and didn't hear of anything but shorts and they were only active early in the morning. I turned my face to the wind then and switched to a lighter setup to throw a bucktail with a curly tail awhile in the bay. There were a good number of stripers ready to play with me, lots of hits and I landed 6 fish from 22" to a feisty 26" er. I started about 5:00 and fished until I couldn't see and was shaking so much it wasn't really fun. That bay water is cooling off and I might need to switch to my neoprene waders or wear longjohns!
I love fishing back there - Some fish hit as soon as the bucktail hit the water at the end of my cast. Others seemed to follow it in and hit as I jigged it at the end of my rod getting ready for my next cast.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I got to IBSP yesterday afternoon and the ocean was very quiet. I saw guys fishing from Seaside to way down in the park and didn't hear of anything but shorts and they were only active early in the morning. I turned my face to the wind then and switched to a lighter setup to throw a bucktail with a curly tail awhile in the bay. There were a good number of stripers ready to play with me, lots of hits and I landed 6 fish from 22" to a feisty 26" er. I started about 5:00 and fished until I couldn't see and was shaking so much it wasn't really fun. That bay water is cooling off and I might need to switch to my neoprene waders or wear longjohns!
I love fishing back there - Some fish hit as soon as the bucktail hit the water at the end of my cast. Others seemed to follow it in and hit as I jigged it at the end of my rod getting ready for my next cast.
great report , I have not thrown a 12' or 11' rod in so long going in the back seems to be where its at for me these years , 8',9' rods
Can big fish be back there ? yes in DiDi just have to cull those faster aggressive youngsters 1st . thanks for sharing
Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM

HookI, I'm delighted to have anything besides skunks to report! The rod I was using to throw 1/2 ounce bucktails was a 7 foot one piece Tsunami Airwave, I think, with a Penn Battalion 3000 and 10# braid. It's so sensitive I swear I could feel the curly tail wiggling. It's designed as a slo-pitch jigging rod and I'm probably misusing it. I don't care.

Thursday's forecast: SSW wind 11 to 13 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas around 2 ft.

With high tide around 3:00 PM, that sounds like a poor day fishing anywhere around IBSP, but might be good for the Hook after lunch. Opinions?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Senior Fellow

out today starting at 4am Highlands area; about 6 schoolies came up early; all on white shads or teaser; one for me; went south and stopped at multiple sites from Long Branch to Seaside; quiet everywhere; no birds and no one catching
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
HookI, I'm delighted to have anything besides skunks to report! The rod I was using to throw 1/2 ounce bucktails was a 7 foot one piece Tsunami Airwave, I think, with a Penn Battalion 3000 and 10# braid. It's so sensitive I swear I could feel the curly tail wiggling. It's designed as a slo-pitch jigging rod and I'm probably misusing it. I don't care.

Thursday's forecast: SSW wind 11 to 13 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas around 2 ft.

With high tide around 3:00 PM, that sounds like a poor day fishing anywhere around IBSP, but might be good for the Hook after lunch. Opinions?
I really like the set up you have its perfect,
don't tell anyone I'm sending you this info but there is a large pod of migrating bass moving from ELI heading your way , how long it takes to get there who knows , Don't tell anyone here on the board I told you ! tight lines
FYI I might put down the fly rod & hop on the GSP down to the hook ,I'll watch the weather