Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Here's a question for Mr. Barbosa or any of our other boat savvy respondents.

I have an invitation to try fishing with a friend on his boat going out of the Barnegat Inlet tomorrow. I am reasonably sure that there are striper in the area. Not the whole wave of migrators, but some scouts, maybe. How might I best tempt them to strike?
I have some Mojo's and some big bucktails, a few plugs that are troll-able. We could get a clam log and try attracting fish that way. I have experience with snag & drop if bunker make an appearance. Does anyone have any sort of wisdom for me during this transition phase of the season? Boat fishing is a really weak area for me, as you can probably figure.

Thanks!
You'll want to be prepared for at least snag and drop and trolling.

If you find the schools, top water poppers and snag and drop are the first goto's, especially if you see or mark fish on the schools.

If not, then trolling is a way to cover some ground while looking for the schools.

I've not had any experience (good experience) with eeling other than in the local inlet rips, so can't help at all there.

If JB shows up again, he would have better intel, though I think he hangs further north in general.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanks Rob, you about nailed what I was supposing. I can hope to see schools either actively feeding or on the electronics (why don't they invent some electronic surf scanner?) Otherwise, I lean heavily toward "covering ground."
I will report!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Here's a question for Mr. Barbosa or any of our other boat savvy respondents.

I have an invitation to try fishing with a friend on his boat going out of the Barnegat Inlet tomorrow. I am reasonably sure that there are striper in the area. Not the whole wave of migrators, but some scouts, maybe. How might I best tempt them to strike?
I have some Mojo's and some big bucktails, a few plugs that are troll-able. We could get a clam log and try attracting fish that way. I have experience with snag & drop if bunker make an appearance. Does anyone have any sort of wisdom for me during this transition phase of the season? Boat fishing is a really weak area for me, as you can probably figure.

Thanks!
I am around just have been busy w/open enrollment season at work to type up any reports lately.

I've been fishing out North & East (LI) lately. The boats are getting fish all up and down the coast so I would not worry about fish being down your way...they are there! Head north and look for bunker pods

Live Lining around the bunker pods works best right now. Mojo's would be a very effective method as well. Take some shads and diamond jigs in case you run into fish on top.

We jigged/plugged bass on Sunday to 30# up north before the crowds shut the bass fishing down and then got our 1 blackfish each. Lost a nice size bass to a bent open 4x 4/0 VMC hook on an RG Glider. Seen the fish hit boat-side which was pretty awesome.

Heading out tonight with waders on
Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM

Moco Outfront10:30AM to 5PM I fished an outgoing tide to the bottom and then incoming. There was a west wind swinging to NW. The tide was running as hard as I have seen all year with this new moon. High tide was six feet over the norm which allowed phragmites reed, branches and tree sweepers, as well as debris to enter the water. I was on the fly and as long as I could keep the pink and white Jiggy fly clean of debris I caught. Lost count between six and ten short stripers.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM

Thanks JB! I will let you all know...