Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Wind stopped about 9:00 last night, still calm this morning (foggy). Can still hear the ocean although have not taken a look yet. Yesterday the surf was BIG and mean. May take a day or two to clean up. Just in time for Florence
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
No worries and thank you, My new laces from Cleatus? came friday, Made in Idaho, and look good but if they break anytime soon I will give that a try and I forgot from an earlier reply I have the army navy store about 6 blocks away from me

Tx looking forward to getting out soon.

and carry an extra pair with you; don't have a day on the beach end early with broken laces
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 PM

I took a walk out to the Hook this morning. The tide was perfect, about a third down. The Bay was glassy smooth. Beautiful! There were spearing skittering all over the place, but nothing like anything beating them up. I was ready to cast for albies but none came to play.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
At least three juvenile delinquents were enjoying a stretch of sand usually frequented by the Killer B's!

That is the killer B's, they transform when the fishings slow!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
That is the killer B's, they transform when the fishings slow!
Old 09-15-2018, 03:49 PM

Moco Outfront dawn patrol. Light ENE wind chest high swell that was choppy with frequent sets. Lots of white water with just a slight chocolate color. I found some mullet with the cast net and was live lining mullet with the float rig. Had two keepers just over 18 and a dozen just short. Blues were in and out of the wash. No albies observed.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Moco afternoon outgoing outfront. WSW wind and clean water. Waist high swell with white water. Boats and people everywhere enjoying the day. Caught 8 shorts while live lining killies and very small mullet that I was able to capture at the shoreline. The larger schools of mullet were MIA.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:29 AM

Couldn’t get to sleep so took a bike ride to a local inlet with what is sold as a 7ft freshwater rod paired with a 1000 penn fierce. Took a 3 inch striper swiper a jr spook and my new trusty rattletrap. Couldn’t figure out the spook but the striper swiper produces 2 mini stripers at around 16 inches then a bigger short on the rattletrap. Ruined an old pair of sneakers wading into some muck but will probably be able to sleep easy now
Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Couldn?t get to sleep so took a bike ride to a local inlet ...

Nice. I have to read myself to sleep.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 AM

I stopped by the end of the Hook yesterday morning to supervise the rising of the tide and try out my new Albie Killer 7' spinning setup. The water looked beautiful but there weren't even snapper blues to harass. I saw some hot bird activity a few hundred yards out. That was probably just the small blues hanging out of my reach.

I am learning the parking lots and approaches better.

It got a little exciting as a thunderstorm caught me standing right at the point casting to the rips.
One of these mornings...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM

I have spent last weekend fishing in East Marion Long Island ( North Fork)...went there on Thursday and came home on Monday night...hit a perfect patch of nice weather ( thank you Florence)...sunny up to 78F, almost no wind with water temps around 73F for all 4 days. Launched a kayak 3 days in the row ( personal best) from Truman's Beach and fish the rocks around there...caught zillions of porgies and black sea bass ( no bsb keeper though), a lot fluke with one keeper over 20" and one dog fish around 4ft long ( thought I had a doormat fluke on)...perfect conditions overall...and btw the current is so strong there in between the tides that you need to plan around it
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
I have spent last weekend fishing in East Marion Long Island ( North Fork)...went there on Thursday and came home on Monday night...hit a perfect patch of nice weather ( thank you Florence)...sunny up to 78F, almost no wind with water temps around 73F for all 4 days. Launched a kayak 3 days in the row ( personal best) from Truman's Beach and fish the rocks around there...caught zillions of porgies and black sea bass ( no bsb keeper though), a lot fluke with one keeper over 20" and one dog fish around 4ft long ( thought I had a doormat fluke on)...perfect conditions overall...and btw the current is so strong there in between the tides that you need to plan around it
Truman's beach is a good place to fish , nice report
Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Moco Outfront late afternoon outgoing ten short fluke and half a dozen cocktail blues. Mullet and rain fish present in significant numbers.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Joe, check your PMs
Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Cape May County yesterday and this morning out front...a few snappers biting the tails off the gulp but no fluke. No structure will do that....thanks beach replenishment bureaucrats! Nice weather though...hope the fishing gets better this weekend and next week. Gotta go buy some clams, I think...tired of walking so much ;-)