Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Keeping in contact with the lure.

Hello, been out of the surf game for awhile as I moved to PA for awhile and got into fly fishing, finally moved back to the shore and dusted off the old lamiglas 9? xs9mhs and 7 year old Spheros that still works like the first day.

Anyways I was throwing a 1 1/2 buck tail yesterday into a good hole the wind was blowing from the SW but not too crazy and my line was just being bowed out so bad I couldn?t keep in contact with the bucktail and would just pull it up the beach. From what I remember 2 ounces is about as heavy as you want to go in the surf unless it?s a raging N?ester. Any tips for staying in contact? Or was the weight the problem?

Side note I have never caught anything on a bucktail from the surf. Even years ago when I would go every single day before sandy on the crazy sand eel runs if catch on everything but a bucktail so I plan on only fishing bucktails until I catch something to gain some confidence.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Keeping in contact with the lure.

I'd use more weight if needed.
Also may toss perpendicular to the beach so the lure is not fighting the current as much.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:00 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Sometimes you just can't work a bucktail due to wind/current. In those cases, a sinker with a teaser can work. Even with a bucktail you will want to use a teaser (dropper loop about 18" above the bucktail/weight).

In general you want a bucktail to work just off the bottom, 2oz+ can be used in deep channels like an inlet, but in the surf, you are looking for holes and work that bucktail with a variety of retrieves so that it can settle to, but not dig in, to the bottom as you work it back.

Bayyaker and a few others are expert BT anglers, may want to check out past reports... from him and the killer B gang
Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 PM
SS/Veteran

First, invest in John Skinners book, Fishing The Bucktail. Loads of information. Good suggestions by these guys ^^^^. I like big water, those crashing waves add so much oxygen to the water, you wonder how they can see that bt in that washing machine, when it?s churned up, the strikes are instantaneous, they don?t hesitate . Here?s something that someone taught me, if your fishing a current, and the bite slows, there not gone, just farther out or deeper. Cast out, leave the bail open, count to 10, no takers, count to 15, no takers, 20,30, or go heavier if the the current is ripping faster. You just have to find the zone. Also, with different weights, have sparse hair on some, even if it?s lighter, it will sink faster. Or, you can have a heavier bt with a full body, you can ?float? (sink slower). This is all in Skinners book. The book is a must.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 AM

Good stuff, Bay! The farther part always is a problem for me with BTs, but I agree with the idea when the bite dies... they've just changed the zone.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:45 PM

I?ve read the bucktail book and also the striper book by him and that?s why I?m asking these questions because in the book he talks about throwing a 1oz bucktail with wind and rough seas and apparently still feels bottom. If I throw a 1oz in anything more than a breeze I feel like the line bows and I cant get any tension on the line to feel anything maybe my retrieve is too slow.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyounot View Post
I?ve read the bucktail book and also the striper book by him and that?s why I?m asking these questions because in the book he talks about throwing a 1oz bucktail with wind and rough seas and apparently still feels bottom. If I throw a 1oz in anything more than a breeze I feel like the line bows and I cant get any tension on the line to feel anything maybe my retrieve is too slow.
Me neither. Even a 2 oz can be hard to feel in med-heavy surf. I usually go with 3 oz and just keep jigging the whole way in, bouncing it off the bottom.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:45 AM

There is a difference in surf vs SURF.

If you are fishing the backbays (Raritan bay, even behind Sandy Hook, for example)... 1 oz is perfectly fine. On the ocean front, there will be times and places for something that light.

But also, using thin braid helps and then there is the experience factor of feeling the bucktail. It should not feel like you are dragging bottom, no matter the weight.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 PM
SS/Veteran

I was at a well known area yesterday, east wind, incoming tide, it was ripping right to left, big bow in the line, threw 1oz, it was flying. Switch to 2 oz , it was dragging, switched to a 2oz with extra hair, had it ?floating ? still no takers but it wasn?t plowing the bottom. If you want to fish bt?s You need different colors, weights, different density in hair, trailers.(grub or otter tail). Me, BenGardner, and Rui fished next to a guy last year, we caught a few, but this guy caught fish every Cast on a bt that had just a few strands of hair on it. Small profile, big profile, ?the zone?, there are a lot of variables. Stick with it, you will get it. I been fishing for 54 years and still learning.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 AM

How do you find so many variations? My local tackle has an entire wall of BT?s but they are usually only separated by weight and jig head size.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyounot View Post
How do you find so many variations? My local tackle has an entire wall of BT?s but they are usually only separated by weight and jig head size.
I tie my own, also, look for a bt that has a tin head. You can get a big full body one and the weight is less then a lead head. They cost more. Think I got mine from The Tin Man.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 AM
SS/Veteran

One drawback with a full body tin head, you won?t get the distance, but in a current just leave the bail open let the line rip out, you?ll find the zone
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 PM

Bought a new reel and respooled with 20# braid instead of 30#. Idk if it?s the new real or the line change but I noticed a 100% difference. And even caught my first bass on a bucktail.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 AM

Ken, good to hear and yes downsizing makes a significant difference, even if using the same brand braid.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM
SS/Insider

If you find a rip there's usually smooth water into a churn. This indicates a lip and drop-off. Be sure to cast into the smooth water back far enough that the bucktail hits the bottom before entering the churn. If it's not on the bottom wben it goes over the lip it will pass to high over the fish. It's a good example of a sweet spot where one guy is catching and guys 5 ft. left or right are not. Make small movements left and right to get the right position.