Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Amateur Plug Building

Old 05-10-2005, 02:19 PM

i had a chance to swim the danny yesterday it did not roll? the eyes just kind of wobbled from side to side. one eye looking up then the other eye looking up. and the tail swung back and forth in a lazy type of motion.making a large "S" .nice looking in the water!.i did'nt know how fast to reel so i did what we use to call "slow roll" when we used spinnerbaits for black bass.reeling slow. to keep the danny just below the surface. i could not tell how deep it dove when i cranked it fast because there were high winds and the water looked like coffee. does that action sound about right ? oh and it cast great !
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM

hey were did everybody go ?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Lets see the final pic of what you swam. I didnt see any belly hooks on the prev Danny pics, which ones did you decide on?
I would use #2/0 Vmc's first.and also bend the lip down slightly .lets start there.You should also test swim in clear calm water during the day.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 PM
ferret

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hookup:
hey were did everybody go ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fishing
Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 PM

Building,painting,and fishing.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:29 PM

ferret:fishing????? whats that
..........well i have'nt fished in months. between the honey do's and preparing for a new born.it may be a few more months before i really get to fish.
SK : i've been buying, painting & swimming. thats about as close as i have been to fishing.
tin: i put some 1/0 lasers so there is not much weight. i put up a pic later so u can see how much i bent the lip. thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
SS/Veteran

hook
u need bigger hooks on that danny, 2/0 is perfect. The hooks also act a little like a KEEL on the plug.That danny flaots real high.
Hope you get out to fish soon.

Hey SK, you fishing the beach yet.Want to hit those same streets we were on last year in Brick area(early AM) ? Its bunker chunk time for LARGE!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tinman:
hook

Hey SK, you fishing the beach yet.Want to hit those same streets we were on last year in Brick area(early AM) ? Its bunker chunk time for LARGE!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Tin my DSL was offline for the last 2 days. What's a bunker chunk?
I can go Sat. I have this thing called a job in which I have to show up Mon -Fri.

I was out on Sat and got a big blue on a Jigman plug.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:43 PM

OK, I bit.

I've been painting everything from rockets to religious articles a minute after I learned how to hold a crayon, so plugs were gonna happen. NJ tackle made the kit look easy, even for an apartment dweller with no shop to work in. So I have one hanging off the fire escape now (it just spent 24 hours in linseed oil). I bought some 1/4 ounce bottles of Testors enamel to paint it with. My brother is tying me a tail. I go to sleep at night thinking about it, which I am sure makes me certifiably crazy

Here's my first question:
Do I have to use two hooks? It seems like a lot. I am concerned that if it catches a short, there'll be all those prongs to pull out before I return it to the water. I'd prefer one treble and a tail hook, but I am sure it will change the way it swims, right?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 PM
spence

Play around with it. The second belly hook does add weight, so you may need to beef up the tail hook to compensate.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rev' Lori:
OK, I bit.

I've been painting everything from rockets to religious articles a minute after I learned how to hold a crayon, so plugs were gonna happen. NJ tackle made the kit look easy, even for an apartment dweller with no shop to work in. So I have one hanging off the fire escape now (it just spent 24 hours in linseed oil). I bought some 1/4 ounce bottles of Testors enamel to paint it with. My brother is tying me a tail. I go to sleep at night thinking about it, which I am sure makes me certifiably crazy

Here's my first question:
Do I have to use two hooks? It seems like a lot. I am concerned that if it catches a short, there'll be all those prongs to pull out before I return it to the water. I'd prefer one treble and a tail hook, but I am sure it will change the way it swims, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RL,
Let that plug dry for several days. If you paint it before the linseed oil dries your paints will peel.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM

Here's my effort. I don't have an airbrush or anything to spin it with so the epoxy finish can dry, so I did it all by hand. I couldn't see buying 50 prs of eyes for one plug, so I tried to make my own by setting a bead in some epoxy (marginally sucessful). The paint I used was testors enamel, I did some "grafitti" on it with a marker, and I blew some glitter on in between coats of lacquer finish. My brother is tying me a tail hook.
Also because fishing one way I pray, I included a prayer on it (for me or the fish, whoever needs it most ). God knows how it will swim or if it will catch anything, but it was fun to make.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
spence

That actually looks pretty kool

Throw it some late night just as a full moon in rising and