Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 AM

Default Perth Amboy fishing pier

Came up to NJ to show my rental property to a prospective tenant.

Was able to wake early sunday morning and get to the Perth Amboy fishing pier. Never been there.

Growing up, my dad would take the family to areas like Long Branch and Manasquan for fishing. Perth Amboy in the 70s was considered a sketchy area.

The place is beautiful!

At least down by the harbor. Reminds me of Fajardo, a fishing village in Puerto Rico. Also seems to be a lot of new Puerto Rican immigrants there too.

Old, well-kept victorian homes and manicured lawns. It's definitely turning yuppy.

Anyway. It was misting and light rain in the low 60s on the peak of the high tide when I got there at 8:30. The water was calm and murky, but definitely deep. There is a small beach that was very clean to the right of the fishing pier and a few jetties and smaller piers.

Too chilly for me to fish, wearing just shorts and a t-shirt. My wife opted to stay in the car due to the cold and damp.

As I walked to the pier, I passed a guy in his 50s out for a stroll with a golf club in hand. OK. Maybe still a bit sketchy.

As he passed by, he would strike the club on the walkway, either to keep pace, or to warn me to keep my distance. I looked behind me as I passed to ensure I do not get whacked in the head!

At the pier there were three guys fishing, they had not been there for long.

Two were using snapper poppers and one had just reeled in an 8 inch snapper blue.

The other guy said he was just testing out a new baitcaster rod/reel he had purchased and was not really going for anything.

I got wet and it was chilly so I retreated to my car and just decided to drive around and explore that part of Perth Amboy.

I think I'll definitely come back dressed for the weather the next time I am in the area. The pier shows potential. If the hurricane picks up, I probably will not go there next weekend.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Perth Amboy fishing pier

Historic town. The Proprietary House on Kearny avenue is the original English governors mansion, back before the American revolution. All in the area of which you speak. Spent many hours as a young lad with my brothers and sisters in the back of my dad's station wagon, waiting for the ferry to arrive, and take us back to SI. The original slip is still preserved there. Many big tide runner weakfish were caught not far from where the sailboats are moored, back in the 70s. The area has some inner city behavior taking place, not always noticed by the casual millennial- yuppie eyesight. There is beautiful architecture along the waterfront.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Perth Amboy fishing pier

I think it will experience a renaissance, similar to Newark's Portuguese section.

btw. to be specific, I was at the High St. Municipal Pier. I had gone by the fishing pier earlier near the Yacht club and The Barge restaurant. It was kinda deserted there.