Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Default Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

late report. from Yesterday afternoon. Moco 3p-5p Outfront Incoming tide choppy water with knee high swell and and east wind. Using casting gear and a high low rig I managed 5 short flat ones in the first half hour. All healthy around 16-17 inches. Water felt warm and it was tolerable wading in barefoot with fishing shorts. Wind then switched to the SE and after was noticeably colder, the bite died out and the wind and water temps made the few beach goers and I retreat. If the vote continued I would have stayed . I saw one keeper striped one come off the beach with a clam dunker.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Cool, bunka, what are you catching them on. I am turning to the dark side and am going to try Saltwater fly fishing, made a bunch of albie teasers waiting for the fall
The lure that catches every species in florida, the mirrodine. Yesterday morning in less than 2 hours I landed 5 different species on it. I'll be posting pics in the other thread about florida.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Went offshore Thursday into Friday, a little on the slower side for us but we did go 3/3 on BFT to 165#
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  112.5 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  95.1 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 06-10-2018, 07:57 PM

Sorry I've been missing your phone calls lately. LOL
Old 06-11-2018, 10:05 AM

After two "slow" trips to LIS decided to go back to Raritan bay on Saturday from 6am to 1pm on the kayak...ideal weather, almost no wind with outgoing and incoming tide...it started very slow ...got one hit in the first hour and half...but when tide started moving the bite was on...I could barely manage two rods in the water with fish on one and the other at the same time...water temps were between 68-70F, depth 20 - 30 ft , edge of the channel, white gulp 4" mullet worked the best ...ended the day with over two dozen shorts and 8 keepers...it was strange to be releasing 19 and 20 " fish once I maxed out with 3 fish at 22", 21" and 19.5"...it was my best fluke day ever...no doormat but steady bite for hours...
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Friday evening:

Fished RB for couple hours with the wife. Covered lots of ground but only managed a handful of short flatties and a couple robins. Overall nice evening to be out.

Saturday morning:

Took my god son and his father and brother fishing. Fished couple flats in RB with some dog fish making it fun for the little ones to reel in. Covered some areas with a couple shorts until i finally hook into a doormat. My buddy missed the fish twice (never netted a fish before). I was trying to explain to him to just put net in and i will walk fish head first into net. Fish made about 3 solid runs back to the bottom and made it a fun fight. Finally when it seemed like he was in the next on the 3rd try, my rig broke and i lost it Looks like the spro on the bottom must of been in the mouth and the sharp teeth made its way through the rig. I dont think i have ever dropped that many f bombs in my life. I hope to have the chance to hook into a big one like that again.....
Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 PM

Damn Tuga, I know the feeling.

We fished Saturday night, I had a "friend of a friend" onboard who's biggest bass prior to this trip was only 30". I made a comment to him several times through the night that his drag was too tight. "I always fish it this way..." He landed a few fish without a problem but then he got this bigger one next to the boat that was easily in the 35-45# range and busted the leader when we tried to net it. He finally loosened it after losing that fish

Two chunking trips in a row with exactly 25 bass on each trip.

Fish to 38# on this one.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  70.1 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  84.3 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Size:  95.4 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  80.4 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 AM
SS/Insider

Nothing but boat fish. Depressing.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 AM

No, BR, the big ones are just on the verge of coming into range! Any day now!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:59 PM

according to a few charter boats they?ve seen plenty of bass outside the 3 mile line unfortunately
Old 06-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
After two "slow" trips to LIS decided to go back to Raritan bay on Saturday from 6am to 1pm on the kayak...ideal weather, almost no wind with outgoing and incoming tide...it started very slow ...got one hit in the first hour and half...but when tide started moving the bite was on...I could barely manage two rods in the water with fish on one and the other at the same time...water temps were between 68-70F, depth 20 - 30 ft , edge of the channel, white gulp 4" mullet worked the best ...ended the day with over two dozen shorts and 8 keepers...it was strange to be releasing 19 and 20 " fish once I maxed out with 3 fish at 22", 21" and 19.5"...it was my best fluke day ever...no doormat but steady bite for hours...
Nice job. You are beached in my Bud's front yard. Fishing has always been good in that area
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM
SS/Veteran

I took my first fly fishing expedition this afternoon I met up with Yarddog who then gave me some very helpful hits, no not take up golf gots a lot more practicing to do. Paul, I need one more tip, what?s the best Liniment to use for a sore shoulder
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 PM

Moco Afternoon A south wind incoming tide in Killer Bee country. Half a dozen shorts and four large sea robins.Casting gear with a hammered spoon and teaser, then several on the Bayaker twisted dropper loop with pink swirly tail plastic. There was a Killer B sighting camouflaged as fly caster!

Jim your determination payed off! I could see your back cast loading the rod, as I moved further down the beach. That box of hand tied shrimp imitations, streamers and deceivers would be the envy of Lefty Kreh. God bless him he's looking down from above and smiling, just watching you!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I took my first fly fishing expedition this afternoon I met up with Yarddog who then gave me some very helpful hits, no not take up golf gots a lot more practicing to do. Paul, I need one more tip, what?s the best Liniment to use for a sore shoulder

best to use less shoulder, more rod

congrats on getting out though.

oh yeah, the other aid might be purchasing that 2 hander being sold on this site
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
best to use less shoulder, more rod

congrats on getting out though.

oh yeah, the other aid might be purchasing that 2 hander being sold on this site
Two hander, can?t I just put the fly reel on my salmon noodle rod.😄