Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. 2018 Fishing Reports

Mullet are running strong down here but I’m still in the “if only I could go” mode.

Bill, you don’t have to run north right now, lots of good residents around.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Senior Fellow

Rob....that's the report I'm getting locally; will let you know when I finally get out
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Senior Fellow

out this pm on local jetty; snappers busting all over with a couple of stripers splashing thru the blues; got a few snaps but will be out again in the morning
Old 09-29-2018, 09:46 AM

I walked out to the Hook yesterday and I was glad not to hear that I just missed anything. I saw 1 blue about 5 lbs caught, nobody doing much but standing and talking at the very end of the point. I did learn a bit back in the parking lot. There are some very smart , very good guys around. I caught one nice fish myself, a 22" fluke that hit the teaser in front of my bucktail. Better than nothing!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:48 AM

Lots more seaweed this am in Stone Harbor. I wonder if I can find room on the inlet wall his high tide...
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM

Weekend Report - Got out Friday night in my local haunt. Landed 3 schoolies, and lost another between 6:45 - 7:45. Saturday night I threw a few casts up along loch arbor, figuring id walk the beach to Asbury near the summer concert. Gave up fairly quickly as the water calmed down and not much was going on. Fished Sunday's sunrise and even though the tide was not great, landed 3 schoolies, largest was about 21", and a small 1lb blue. Lost one more schoolie.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Went to west Long Island Sound on the kayak to try to get the last keeper flounder of the season in NY...caught almost 20 shorts up to 18" with bunch of sea robins ...but no keeper...then went to fish for porgies and caught about 2 dozen...the largest one was over16" and the smallest just over 1" (my pb - see attached photo)...in process caught 2 small bass around 20" and small blue...overall nice outing with temps in mid 70 , water was 69F with wind shifting to south in afternoon
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 10:29 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I sure hope silence means you guys are getting out (as I sit in an office typing)

Got pictures and texts yesterday of the life, maybe not BIG life, out there. Saw a report of a tuna off of Brig, but haven't checked it's authenticity. Nevertheless, as many know, snapper / tailor sized blues abound, pompanos, in the back triggers, tog, seabass, and yes, some stripers are hitting in the back and front for those that know how to get them.

ME? Maybe next week. Staring at retirement countdown in a bit over a year, LORD WILLING.

Til then, tight lines!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Senior Fellow

Rob....I support your drive to retire; change your morning from "what do I wear to work" to "do I throw a black bomber or blurple SP"; oh the decisions
Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I sure hope silence means you guys are getting out (as I sit in an office typing)

Got pictures and texts yesterday of the life, maybe not BIG life, out there. Saw a report of a tuna off of Brig, but haven't checked it's authenticity. Nevertheless, as many know, snapper / tailor sized blues abound, pompanos, in the back triggers, tog, seabass, and yes, some stripers are hitting in the back and front for those that know how to get them.

ME? Maybe next week. Staring at retirement countdown in a bit over a year, LORD WILLING.

Til then, tight lines!
Talk to Basstard. AKA Billy Black Cloud .....Every Day is a Saturday to him ....BTW We gotta meet up soon Bill and beat on some fish buddy
Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Last week was a bust for me got out twice for only a quick trip but that was mostly due to the terrible S wind that has been around..and dirty water..gonna be out this week see what happens
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 AM

I'm going for a walk out to the end of the Hook tomorrow afternoon. The high tide's at about 4:00, and it should be a nice day. Maybe I'll even get to see a fish...who knows?
I'll report.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I'm going for a walk out to the end of the Hook tomorrow afternoon. The high tide's at about 4:00, and it should be a nice day. Maybe I'll even get to see a fish...who knows?
I'll report.

may the albies be with you
Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 PM

I got into some Albies this morning, kinda. No. Not really at least not how you would probably imagine. Went surfing at sunrise this morning and they were ripping around about 50 yards off a groin. I didn’t even notice them another guy who knows I’m a fisherman clued me in. So I went over and got a show of their ability to accelerate like a rocket for about a minute. They sped away and I certainly couldn’t keep up Could hardly keep up trying to put an eye on them. Only had 45 minutes to surf before the work day so getting a rod would have been fruitless but like most albie appearances it was fun while it lasted
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
may the albies be with you

A walk at the Hook has morphed into a boat ride out the Barnegat Inlet. I'll take your small prayer with me in my pocket.

That leaves an opportunity to get to the Hook a tomorrow, though.