Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 08-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Mid-Coast Maine, 1st week of August

I was visiting near Port Clyde last week and had one good evening when all the factors came together for me. Just the right timing for a full high tide, perfectly still air and a cove all to myself. I stood on a grass bank with my feet in the water watching and listening for signs that there might be striper moving on the bait fish. After about 45 minutes they started smacking around the edges of the cove and I started to cast with a small popper with just a dressed single hook and a black teaser. My first strike was from a 15" fish that took the teaser (my first ever fish on that one - tied it myself.)
Maybe 10 minutes later the popper got a smash strike and after a very nice fight I landed a 25" fish. I fished for another hour with only one more swing and miss and then called it a good night. Saw 2 first class shooting stars, too, which made it even sweeter.

I didn't hear about anyone else seeing any better striper action during my whole week up there. Boat fishing was maybe where they were seeing fish, but I don't know.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Mid-Coast Maine, 1st week of August

must have been an awesome time... sounds like a beautiful night!