Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Changes You've Witnessed in S Surf ...

Having been Navy trained recruits are taught to abandon ship in wool because it keeps you warm when wet. A consequence is that when I went to beach fishing, around the same time I enlisted in the Naval reserve, I wore my Navy issue wool sweater. My Coast Guard daughter, Susan, keep me in those wool sweaters which I have worn all my life and wear them today even in hunting. Poly against the skin and wool over is truly survival gear. But Hook still has a point on better garment choices. Clothing has continued to evolve, especially in footwear.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM

The National Park Service has done more to reduce beach access than it ever did to enhance it. Surfcasting was much better, access-wise, before the rangers with guns came to impose fees. That was not a good change.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I really liked during the "government shutdown" how Sandy Hook (which is "sand" except for the buildings) was "closed" with a gate down, and a guard (supposedly able to work as a "mandatory" staff) keeping folks out.

Makes no sense.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 AM

If you do a lot of fishing and hunting and get around in the outdoor pursuits, you will come to resent government intervention in every possible application. Government is bent upon creating more and bigger regulation so that they can build an empire of enforcement. Next there will be "scup measuring officers" under a special paygrade.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:29 PM

Imagine fishing for stripers all your life, with varying levels of success that were dependent upon their population. Then a moratorium hits and all striper fishing is banned like it was in the 1980s. That is a very big change!
Old 04-06-2017, 02:37 PM

There is not much of it where I fish but a new thing in surfcasting is the use of wet suits. It seems to depend upon the shore configuration as to whether or not they are advisable. Montauk would be a good place. But using one to get in front of the guy next to you is not a good reason.

I can think of a couple of good spots: getting on Nauset Long Bar early, or staying later when the fish are hitting would work. Point Judith is a suitable wet suit application.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:47 PM

Nobody surfcasting sells stripers any more. I guess the combination of licensing, regulation, limits have put the kybosh on that old time stuff. Just as well, I suppose, what had to be done for being a rod and reel commercial would kill me today. I killed about a 30 pounder in the Canal a while back and guys fishing looked at me like I was a brick, like they wanted to kill me.