Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Winter Thread

Now that winter has most of us not fishing, and reading the "What Are Those Poles" and "Back in the Old Days" threads, I figured I would start this to keep us interested. Anyone have stories about historical occurrences or things around the Jersey Shore? Questions about the same? Don't limit them to just the beach or fishing, but anything. Lets hear em!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Winter Thread

To tag on: anyone have any good pirate lore related to the Jersey Coast? My kids are fascinated with this stuff and I'd love to know more about or local pirate history.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiton View Post
To tag on: anyone have any good pirate lore related to the Jersey Coast? My kids are fascinated with this stuff and I'd love to know more about or local pirate history.
Aye, Avast there and be told of the Jersey Shore Capt. Abernackie and his Wench. Arr.
I love Pirate stories.

http://www.njhm.com/captainkiddstory.htm

Last edited by Joe : 02-11-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

"Although many places in New Jersey have been advanced as the site of Kidd's hidden treasure, four have a particularly strong claim. One site is Cape May, where pirate and other ships often stopped because it was a source of fresh water. Another possible location is an island that was located at the mouth of the Toms River an area that provided protection for pirates from the ocean elements. A third area is Sandy Hook, near where Kidd anchored on his final voyage in Raritan Bay. This spot where the treasure was supposedly buried was marked by a grove of pine trees."
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

What could be easier. All we have to do is find that grove of pine trees in NJ and we're rich.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Team SS

In the book I am reading, Striper by John Cole. There is a part in the book about how in 1879 the US Commisioner of Fish & Fisheries, Livingston Stone, sent Harry Mason to the Navesink River in Red Bank, NJ to capture some Striped Bass and transport them alive, in tanks, via train to the West Coast and release them into the Pacific. Mason and his men spent 10 days on the Navesink River and collected(seined) 139 bass. They ranged in size from 3 1/2 inches to 8 inches long. 107 of the fish survived a the train ride from Red Bank to California and were released in the Carquinez Straits near San Francisco. And the West Coast striper fishery was started.

Member Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Josh,
Go to the home page and check out the "Fishing History" section. It has a detailed account of how they did it. Pretty interesting.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

OK, heres one from when I was a kid..
Wreck of the "Miss Rheingold". Probably around 1966 or '67. Back then you listened to WJLK AM, or at least my parents did. They actually were a local station that did local news and such (now I think it's called "The Point 94.3" but back then I think it was 1410 AM) They were talking about this charter boat that wrecked at Mantoloking. Everyone was saved, but the boat was lost. Took a ride to the beach with my father and uncle, and sure enough, the thing was in pieces covering about 1/2 mile of beach. I found a running light, and took it home. Cleaned it up (was brass under the paint) and made a night light from it. I often wonder what my ex wife did with that thing (yeah, I kept it that long)....
Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Anyone like Boxing?
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Fellow

Grew up in Ocean Twsp and went to Asbury Park HS; used to watch the party boats go by and try to guess the names..remember the Marie S and the Optomist and Optomist Queen...also the "flume" that connected Deal Lake to the ocean and the herring ? run that would fill the 8th ave jetty with fishermen..it has been clogged but I understand it will be cleared...about 1956 or so was watching a small boat go by and as I stared it exploded in front of my eyes...Asbury Park Press reported the 2 guys jumped and were saved but I can still see it like it was yesterday...WJLK...to me that means school closings!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Togalicious Moderator

blow stuff up http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/future-w...on/cannon.html
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottog View Post
Damn M-Tog, Thats allot of fun.....
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Laniewski View Post
Damn M-Tog, Thats allot of fun.....

Super COOL.......

bOb....ski

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Togalicious Moderator

blast from the past:
http://www.pigdogtoad.com/sawfish_la...sh_lagoon.html
Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
In the book I am reading, Striper by John Cole. There is a part in the book about how in 1879 the US Commisioner of Fish & Fisheries, Livingston Stone, sent Harry Mason to the Navesink River in Red Bank, NJ to capture some Striped Bass and transport them alive, in tanks, via train to the West Coast and release them into the Pacific. Mason and his men spent 10 days on the Navesink River and collected(seined) 139 bass. They ranged in size from 3 1/2 inches to 8 inches long. 107 of the fish survived a the train ride from Red Bank to California and were released in the Carquinez Straits near San Francisco. And the West Coast striper fishery was started.

I've been out here at SH for 10years. Done tons of sceining, gillnetting, otter & beam trawling -in the Navesink-and haven't ever seen a tiny striper. I chatted with a guy that claims to get them in his killie traps, but still haven't seen proof.
I've heard of stories of bass up the Swimming River spawning, but there are no results of what is theorized to be going on up there. Back then there wasn't a Swimming River Res? or dam on Shadow Lake(there is still talk of putting in a fish ladder-been talk for 10 years).
Makes one wonder...