Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-18-2018, 10:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fishing Reports for the rest of 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
When I use a salmon rod for buck tails, it has been an 8 1/2 foot Cabalas Fish Eagle rated for 1/2 oz to 2 oz. I also like it for the SP minnow, Rapala ,smaller mag darter, swim baits, poppers., and my all time favorite, the 3/4 Oz Hopkins shorty with single buck tail hook.

The rod worked best with these offerings in 3/4 oz to 1 oz.
My salmon rods use casting round reels that are hot rodded.

My longer salmon rods are used for high low rigs and sliding float rigs for fluking. The longer length does not cast larger plugs very well as they overload on the backcast with lures over 2 oz.

All that being said, I have hooked up with large rays on a 10 1/2 foot salmon rod and Abu Record 51 and brought them to the sand after long struggles.

Salmon rods are not my choice targeting big fish around hard structure and Jettys.

I've been out at the tip on the Jetty of Barnegate inlet, with a big ray on the line and had to tip toe back to the sand to land them and not loose all my mono. Lots of fun, time consuming and tricky even with studded Korkers on.

You can whip almost anything with a salmon and fly rod with good technique, but know that a big bass in a long struggle has to be handled properly before release, as it will be exhausted
Yep ! fantastic rods out there
I own a 9'10" salmon rod ( 4 piece ) rated 1/16 -1 1/2 oz fast action tip I purchased it at a sportsman show more than 10 years ago . Im not going into any fish tales but it helped me with 40 lb Tarpon , 42" Snook , 4' reef shark & 28 lb Striper all on artificials . Its my favorite rod paired with a Shimano CI4 3000 & 4000 Know exactly mean can throw arties all day long & not get tired . Thanks for sharing
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcjr1 View Post
Tough fishing today. Took my son out for his first striper surf experience. Bay Head surf was chocolate as was Mantoloking. Not sure if from the storm, the dredging or both. Decided to try and find clean water north and introduce my son to Sandy Hook. Walked a lot, made a lot of casts and managed one ?micro short? (15?) on a white SP Minnow 3? from the sand. My son was disappointed it wasn?t his fish, but was excited to meet his first striper in person. If he wasn?t hooked before, he is now. Already talking about next weekend.
Great Dad. Good work!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 AM

To combine two lines of the thread...
I'm going to get to make a run to IBSP tomorrow with my 12 year old daughter who loves to fish. She'll use my 7' Tsunami Slimwave and I'll break out my 10' 6" (4 piece) salmon rod. We'll see if the front is holding any fish and probably end up out back on the bay side throwing bucktails. It looks like an excellent weather day and the tides are not bad.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Kayak outing on Sunday in western LIS ...nice conditions without wind but on the colder side...fish was nowhere to be found...it was dead, barren....got a small short bass and 3 short tog fishing for 8 hours at 6 different spots...spent maybe a dozen asian crabs total whereas before I would go thru 2 quarts easy on the good days...water temps dropped from 54F on Monday to 49F on Sunday...I did not know that a snow storms affects the fish bite ?!?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Kayak outing on Sunday in western LIS ...nice conditions without wind but on the colder side...fish was nowhere to be found...it was dead, barren....got a small short bass and 3 short tog fishing for 8 hours at 6 different spots...spent maybe a dozen asian crabs total whereas before I would go thru 2 quarts easy on the good days...water temps dropped from 54F on Monday to 49F on Sunday...I did not know that a snow storms affects the fish bite ?!?
snow affects a bite more than rain, even if the air temp is only a few degrees difference.

John Skinner had a reminder about it in his "season on the edge" reminding me what I already knew... the melting of the snow absorbs energy dropping the water temp very rapidly. Yes, we know of stories of fishing a blitz in a snowstorm, but just sayin'

Down here, once the ocean temp got down near 50F the blackfish bite turned off big time. This year, it turned off a lot sooner for some reason (only talking about the relatively shallow bay bite, not ocean wrecks)

Last edited by RobS : 11-19-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Great Dad. Good work!
Thanks. It was a really good day. Sometimes it?s not just about the ?catching?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Your right it?s not about catching, my cuz brought me out fishing almost 55 years ago, now I am taking him out fishing. Hopefully you will have that experience
Old 11-20-2018, 06:06 PM
SS/Veteran

When my daughter got married, our father/daughter song was trace Atkins, we ain?t just fishin very appropriate
Old 11-21-2018, 12:25 AM

Thumbs up Re: Fishing Reports for the rest of 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Your right it?s not about catching, my cuz brought me out fishing almost 55 years ago, now I am taking him out fishing. Hopefully you will have that experience
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM

IBSP was OK yesterday. The daughter and I caught 5 schoolies in the 20 to 22 inch range out back, all on 1/2 ounce BT's with curly tails. The wind was sharpish from the WNW, which I hadn't expected. We fished for about 3 hours and all the fish showed up in one half hour window. So it goes.

The front looked like it should have been fishy, but nothing was doing. Nobody much was cruising the beach and the dead stickers were all nodding off in their beach chairs. It might have gotten more interesting as the tide rose in the evening, but we had to book it home for a party.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the report JC!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post

Gotta love it Cuz
Old 11-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I thank you all for sharing your knowledge, experience and your twisty senses of humor.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I thank you all for sharing your knowledge, experience and your twisty senses of humor.
Back at ya!!!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Senior Fellow

Happy Thanksgiving to all; thanks to all those in our lives who did good things for us not because they had to but because it was the right thing to do; parents, teachers, bosses, friends, strangers etc; much in my life to give thanks for and the best of the day to each of you