Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-12-2006, 02:22 AM

Default IBSP Fee?

Why do you think ibsp charges an all year entrance fee when all the other parks doesn't. For example, parks like Holmdel, Turkey swamp, etc. don't change any fee to get in. Barnegat lighthouse state park doesn't charge any fee. Sandy hook is a park like ibsp. They only charge during the beach season and that's understandable and it's also free after 4pm during summer. What makes ibsp so special that they have to charge $6?? Don't tell me that it's a great place to fish because there are lots of other good places to fish in NJ, and that's not the reason I am looking for. Plus, I have seen pictures of how crowded ibsp gets. Some of those pics are downright scary and I have heard stories of how yahoos (googans) drive around on the beach running from spot to spot and how people park their RV's in front of the water and don't fish and claim that as their fishing spot. That's some of the reason and the fact that it takes me an hour to get there is why I don't fish ibsp. Whenever I buy bait it always costs me less than $6. So if I just want to fish the park I have to pay $6 plus the bait money.

Let me just clarify that I am not disrespecting ibsp or anybody that fishes there often. Some of you regulars like ragman, fishtank, jess, and many others that fishes there what do think there is an entrance fee? Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Default Re: IBSP Fee?

I just come to expect it, it is NJ afterall.

That being said, I'm in the park as a paying customer less than 10 times a year, I'll fish other places depending on the conditions. But nowhere north of the Barnegat inlet offers the solitude and peace that a stroll over the dunes at the maintenance shack offers at 3am. There are no buggys like the south end, there are no people on the beach like you may find in southern monmouth cty, there are no houses over your shoulder like northern Ocean cty, there are no city lights and trash like Sandy Hook, NYC skyline? big whoop...there is nothing there but ocean, sand and you. And on the rare occasion you do run into someone on the north end in the wee hours, they are there for the same reasons as you, solitude and fish. $6 for a night to clear my head, it's a good deal.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Let me ask you this.

How many more people do you think would be in the park if they didn't charge an entrance fee?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 AM
SS/Veteran

i agree wit benny& frank it is nj like he said you pay for everything here and also if there was no fee like benny said you think there to many people now fagetaboutit if there was no fee
Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Technically the fee is for parking. You can ride a bike or walk in for free.
I pay the 1 time $50 permit per year. I do get my $$ worth out of it no doubt.
For me it's another 12 or so miles of beach I can fish south of my entry point to the island.
No mater were you fish if it's day time your going to have to pay to park for the most part. It's a way of life at the Jersey shore and we have no choice.

And like frank said it can be very peaceful there unlike other areas.
Googans are far and few down there unlike areas that have free or easy access
and you hardly ever see a surf board.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 AM
SS/Veteran

The entrance tag you get will also work at certain other parks, like Spruce Run, whichhas awesome fishing.

Also at Sandy Hook, which is a gateway National Park and not a NJ state park, you cannot fish after dark unless you pay a $50 seasonal fishing pass.

While sometimes in the summer on weekends the beach looks like a parking lot, the majority of the time it is for all intent and purpose very underused.

In addition Gillikens is not very googan infested and you can walk on at two bit or the maitnence shed like Frank said and be alone.

Lastly where for $36 can you fly fish the flats behind A15, then go and yak the sedges for weakies and monster stripers, walk on to the clean beach and surf fish, and then meet the family at the bathing beaches later in the day, all within a 5 minute drive? No where else can you fish flats, sedges, inlets, surf of the quality and size like that in NJ.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Big stretch of the imagination comparing something called "Turkey Swamp" to an unspoiled white sand beach.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 AM

Like others have said it is the biggest stretch of beach in NJ and I don't mind paying if it stays that way. I do wonder where the millions of dollars in passes and entry fee's goes though.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Moderator, Team SS

all the above, I do beleive it is the only State park to charge all year long but I also think its the only beach that buggies are allowed on all year long, and the with the buggy pass ($195 for the year) theres no other fees and you can stay all night.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Guys, once again let me make something clear. I am looking for other reasons besides how great of a place it is. I know it's big, has access on bay, very good fishing, north jetty and the list goes on. I know all that but looks like the only other reason I received from you guys is that because it's NJ.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Dude
Guys, once again let me make something clear. I am looking for other reasons besides how great of a place it is. I know it's big, has access on bay, very good fishing, north jetty and the list goes on. I know all that but looks like the only other reason I received from you guys is that because it's NJ.
Dude??? Why don't you tell us what it is you want to hear?

Lemme see......... They charge six bucks all year so the Governors mansion there can stay stocked with booze, drugs and sex toys all year! YEAH THAT'S IT!!!!

Better idea. Call the park office and ask them. As far as I'm concerned, they charge what they charge and when they charge it just because that's what they do. Don't wanna pay, don't go. Maybe that's the reason. Getting back to my original post, sometimes a nice entry fee keeps some riff raff out. Works for me.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Let's see, the more I think of it, more comes to mind. There is a lot that goes on there besides just fishing. There are bird and wildlife santuarys, there are areas where exhibits are offered and a lot of other activities as well throughout the year. There is the lighthouse and all of the other buildings in the park that must be maintained. There is electric and running water, there are air stations. The park is monitored by Rangers (park police) 24/7/365 days/year.

Plus a lot of other stuff I am missing. All of this requires money. Money that entry fees probably (or should at least) help to pay for. I'm sure money is wasted here and there, NJ after all is pretty well known for corruption so it wouldn't surprise me. Therefore the "it's NJ what do you expect" explaination could be an accurate statement.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

OK,

How about this point?It is the only natural barrier island,between Maine and North Carolina.It is left in a natural state,with minimal help from man to maintain what was the norm along the entire coast a hundred years ago.There are maybe a dozen buildings(not counting the fishing/hunting shacks) to interfere with what the coast looked like years ago.It provides a diverse form of recreation for many,from us fishermen,to birdwatches,bathers,surfers.It provides a place where scientists or naturalists can study a barrier island habitat,to maybe help the areas that man has developed to try and maintain a natural balance in the areas that have been over developed.Last I heard,I think the land value,if developed was in the BILLIONS of dollars... I have gone there for years,and have had my son remind me of things he saw when he was young(he's 24 now),that are the same as he remembers when he was 10.I buy the buggy pass,and before I had that,I got the yearly pass for parking,and like Jess,always get my moneys worth.
Yeah,it's Jersey,the pay for everything state,and IBSP is no exception.There are downsides to the park,crowding in the summer,etc.But,for a beach that is like it was years ago,in a natural state,you cant beat it.
I have to know though,whats your point in the question?Paying for the park,or something else?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 PM

I actually think this is a very good question, but I don't think the right people are being questioned. I too would like to know where the money goes. I think they charge because they know they can, there are some good reasons like to maintain everything, but that and all the salaries of everyone who works there, and then some could be paid by just beach buggy permits and Daily Summer fee's during bathing hours. I realized all this when they increased prices a few years back. That was a huge increase, and why was it nessecary?

BennyB, where is there a lighthouse on IBSP? I have never seen it.

This is kinda old, but here are prices for various places in NJ.
http://www.artsnflies.com/pages3/art..._permits.shtml
Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5
BennyB, where is there a lighthouse on IBSP? I have never seen it.
Ok, I got a little carried away.
The Lighthouse is not on IBSP. It is across the inlet just to the south of IBSP. You can see it from IBSP. It is another State Park in Ocean County, Barnegat Lighthouse State Park. Theoretically any revenue generated from all State Parks should help to maintain them. Seeing as how there is no entry fee at Barnegat Light and it's only 32 acres, I wouldn't be surpised if funds were appropriated from IBSP revenue for old Barney.

Again I'm only speculating.