Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Cuttyhunk.

Just got back from Cuttyhunk, it was a very good experience. It is one of my favorite places to fish. The big Bob D. helped me out on one of my early trips by bestowing me with his infinite wisdom on the place. Thanks Bob !

I went with 5 other guys in my group. The trip started with a very good Slug-Go hit, one of the guys hit a mid-30 fish on one early on in the trip at first light. I had a session with about 7 fish to 18 pounds on Slug-Go's. Then when the winds picked up we switched to black needles at night, and we had two decent needlefish hits with fish up to 24 pounds each night. At first and last light of each day we went to pencils and they worked well, I hit a 34 pounder on a 3.5 ounce Yo-Zuri Surface Cruiser one morning I think it was Wednesday. I also had another 8 bass that morning to 20 pounds. We did have a fair number of dinks (26-30") but most of the fish were between 16-24 pounds.

In the end...by Friday I was totally exhausted as the only way around the island is by walking, and a lot of it is over rocks of all sizes once the fishing begins. My small group, 3 of us, fished 8-10 hours a day. needless to say it was nice to get home a recupe and get some good sleep.

I will send some pictures to Jess for posting....
Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Cuttyhunk.

DJ
Many thanks for the report! Glad you had a good trip. Rest up quick so you can hit the NJ suds.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 PM

Awesome synopsis of your adventure! Did you ever think of getting involved with TV/ESPN for a fishing show? You have skills DJ! You definitly put in the time each day and it pays off but it's also due to the skills you have. I'm glad you had fun. Keep "pluggin" away! ~ Patrick
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 PM
SS/Insider

Default thanks/surface cruiser question

sounds like a great trip. By the way, can anyone offer a tip on how to best work the surface cruiser? I have one, but don't feel particularly confident with it. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Default Re: thanks/surface cruiser question

Nice trip DJ. It's one of those places I need to go to.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Here ya go DJ
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Jess,

Thank you!! You da man!

#1. Is a Slug-Go fish around 17 pounds. After I caught it I was hungry so I tried to eat my light.

#2. I am trying to read the little print on the ******* Boga...numbers are way too small.

#3. This is the 34 I hit on a Surface Cruiser...I know...it's kind of obvious.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

nice pics! definitely block and cuttyhunk are on my list of places to go before I die.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS
nice pics! definitely block and cuttyhunk are on my list of places to go before I die.
Cuttyhunk is definitely a place to die for. It's magnificent. The pull to go back there is always strong. I hate having to leave everytime I go there.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Nice pics and story DJ.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Dj Great pics and it is also a place I would like to visit someday. I have been stuck, and this is not a bad thing, at IBSP way to much. RI once and awhile but, taking a trip out to one of the islands out there seems fantastic.

PS, you can buy reading glasses for a couple bucks just about anywhere.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Any island that is surrounded by stripers makes for great fun. There are always historically good hotspots that do well regularly, but one of the things that I like to do in my free time is to scout out new places and go back to those places in the dark or on a good tide and find fish there. That is very gratifying. Plus when you vacation at a hot striper area, you concentrate harder on the fishing, and your sessions are better because you are there when you want to be there...you are not limited to time or having to be somewhere. It is good. BTW...I usually go where I have the best chance to catch fish, preferably BIG fish.

blues...Yo-Zuri Surface Cruisers are quite possibly one of the best plugs in the arsenal. I like wood and Gibbs, but after prolonged use they become heavy and hard to work. The plastics stay the same (not water logged) which gives them increased value in my book.
To work them you do just like you do with a pencil popper. Cast out as far as you can (they cast very well, that also adds to their alure), put the rod butt between your thighs, put your left hand on the handle of your reel and your right hand about the reel about 12-20" (you have to find a comfort zone), make contact with your plug and then begin flailing your rod with your right hand fairly quickly to and fro. At the same time reel your reel as slow as you can while keeping in contact with your plug. If there is hard pulling water in front of you, there may be short periods of time when you hardly have to reel at all. The thing will dance left and right almost as if it is motorized. Whatever it is, it drives fish insane and they hit it with reckless abandon when present or on the feed. It will be worth your time to go out and practice with one so when time comes for execution, you will be ready.