Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Default cameras?

i have an old minolta 110 waterproof camera,its yellow,and it floats, but i have been checking out some waterproof digital cameras, like the olympus 720 sw. looks good ,small size,takes nice pics and it can get wet.the only bad thing is that it sinks .the captain on the charter i took monday was useing one, and the pics look great.anyone have any expirence with it?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: cameras?

Any so called waterproof camera you have to do maintenance on the seals in order for it to last---even the Nikononis which is used by scuba divers.
If you find a good one that sinks why not tie a float on it.
Why not take a regular camera and place it in a plastic bag (ziplock-type) and cut out a hole for the lens. This use to be the old world trick for SLR's. Of course it will not take a full immersion but spray no problem.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Smile Re: cameras?

I just bought a digital camera for fishing. Its an Olympus 790SW http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1314
So far im happy with it. Its nice and small, and the photo quality is pretty good. I got this one because of its size and that its waterproof and that it can work in temps 14? ? 104?F. I don't plan on submerging it in water, I just wanted it for the beach and boat so if it should happen to get wet it wouldn't be a problem. The highest resolution pictures ( 3,072 x 2,304 at 300dpi about 2.5mb file ) look great on the computer screen. I haven't taken anything to great to print out yet. The lower resolution pictures ( 1024 x 768 & 640 x 480 ) are a little soft. I usually just shoot at the highest resoultion and then crop them down in photoshop. There is no viewfinder so you have to shoot looking at the LCD ( 2.5" ) and in the bright day it can be a little hard to see. It also takes about 5 hrs for a dead battery to fully charge. If your interested I can email you some pictures that I have taken at different resolutions.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
SS/Veteran

I've had two of the Minoltas and was very happy with them. Got a Pentax Optio W20 last summer and have taken it in all sorts of water to depths of ten feet (5 reccomended) with no problems. And, it takes great underwater movies as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Moderator, Team SS

I just picked up the 770, recomended here. So far I'm very happy. Problem with cases, unless you get the kind that you can shoot in is you have to take them out. I had my last in a otter box but recently was snapping a pic and a wave/wake got me the wrong camera done.
Think its about the same as the 720, but its good to 33 feet, (I'm not planing on going their) shock proof for a 5 foot drop, crush proof to 220lbs. of pressure and has a manometer that measures air and water pressure to check the altitude and depth of your photos

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM
SS/Veteran

thanx for those replys, the 720sw i think is the way to go. i like the small size, i can just stick it in the top of my waders.