Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Exclamation The State of Virginia is not for Menhaden (Bunker)

Simply horrible!

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...,2300448.story

Time for the other 15 States to bring Virginia before the U.S. Department of Commerce and force them to ban commercial fishing for Bunker altogether.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: The State of Virginia is not for Menhaden (Bunker)

Quote - "The 15-state fisheries commission can refer Virginia to the U.S. Department of Commerce if the state doesn't comply with the cap. The department has the power to halt commercial menhaden fishing. "

Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

the N.J recs go out of compliance and all you hear is ILL USE MY FISHING POLES NO MATTER what the law says,,,,but put the POOR OLD reduction boats in the picture AND THE RECS WANT TO HANG THEM
Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Come on Mr. Bentrod?

This is all about the glut of Omega Protien. I have nothing against the guys making their living catching bait. Recs don't wipe out entire schools in one sweep. Being from way South New Jersey I would think you folks have a vested interest in what's going on down there. Doesn't what Virginia is doing have a negative impact on the bunker boats from the other states? All of the others stay in compliance, why shouldn't they?

Old 01-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENTROD
the N.J recs go out of compliance and all you hear is ILL USE MY FISHING POLES NO MATTER what the law says,,,,but put the POOR OLD reduction boats in the picture AND THE RECS WANT TO HANG THEM
This posted by the same person who was complaining about the reduction boats awhile back,and actually took the time to explain to me how they work,and it was an education for me...
Bent,you are starting to sound like StripersForever,only you might be called CommsForever.Not all recs are against you,as you seem to think,yet you lump us all in the same boat.Give it a rest...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Hell I'm hoping that Omega accept my bid ! We're gonna rename all of the boats after a Saint. That way as a group everyone ( recs and Comm ) can line the the path home. From the top of the rocks all the way up the crick and up the harbor to Box street Seafood Singing in unison Oh When the Saints Come Marchin In.

I would also like to announce at if I'm ever Governor of the Great State of NJ, We will once again have the BIGGEST reduction fleet on the Planet.

When ya think about it Governor Fishpicker has a wonderful ring to it.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

the issue is...................when the N.J recs go out of compliance,,,,,,,WHAT HAPPENS???? i bet i know what happens when the VA comms go out of complience.............................HANG EMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Well,from the sound of that legislation,they wont go out of complaince for awhile,no matter what happens.Unless of course,Omega depletes the stocks to a level where they cant make a profit anymore,and they stop netting them...And I thounght NJ politicians were bad...
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 AM
SS/Veteran

I'm not sure that article is the whole story. From what I've read (other articles on the Internet), the steps to halt commercial menhaden fishing in VA have already begun!

When you couple this type of (in)action by VA government along with the tagging fiasco (tags meant for small bay fish were used for large ocean caught fish in December) created by the commercials a few years back, one can only conclude that VA will soon be a fishing conservatory mandated by the federal government.

I think that would be a great idea since the lack of enforcement available in these sparsely populated areas begs for the committing of fraud by old school commercials who either don't want to or aren't capable of understanding the consequences of their actions.

The fact that Omega Protein would be affected by the actions of other comms and government stubbornness would be a positive thing. It might demonstrate that the lobbyists don't always get their way. It is painfully obvious that Omega has gotten into the pockets of certain VA legislators.

Doug
Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Thanks Doug,thats what I was trying to say (to deaf ears).As much as some complain that recs have the legislators ears(and pocketbooks is some instances too) in Jersey,the same thing seems to be happening down there,in reverse. If they were truly concerned about how the stocks are,why lock the amount able to be landed for several years,without review?What happens when they realise that it is being overfished,and there is no recourse due to the legislation?