Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: New Striper report

Gotta pick em so they don't float
Old 02-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ECT
Report what?

Is there some comm reports MRFSS's uses were not aware of? Can't see why, it's not a comm fishery report. No regs on turning in tags so I'm still lost on how their bycatch number is more reliable then ours.

Recs do have to report in many fisheries already. I had to do 5 weeks worth of logs last season. Also got MRFSS surveyed 3 times. Even got a phone survey on Saturday.
No Bob,
I dont think there is any reports that we are unaware of... I guessing your 5 weeks of logs might be from your tuna trips,I dont know,and dont fish boats much.Got surveyed 3 times,and a phone survey on a Saturday? Man,I must really be hiding under the radar...Like I said,all the time I fish the beach,I only came close to being surveyed once,and the guy got in his car and left as I was waiting for him to talk to me.I'm sure you will agree that there are many that fish the beach,and not boats.Are the beach fishermen exempt from reporting what the catch/discard?Seems that way to me.We are talking rec vs comm reporting here.An inshore fyke net comm has to report what he catches,and when he doesnt tend to his nets,and a kill happens,he loses his ability to fish,along with some steep fines.A rec fishing the same area,can catch what he wants,toss back dead fish,and has to answer to no one.Plus,he can go back the next day and fish,just for the enjoyment of it,and not have to worry about where his next paycheck is going to come from.So,c'mon,tell me where the comms are getting away with murder,and us recs are angels and have to tell someone about everything we catch?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 AM

All buisness's should be monitored, when money is involved things change.
As a rec I care more about keeping the resource healthy because I am not making money off it, just a meal here and there, it's not about he food to me, it's about the enjoyment of the game. For someone who lives off the resource, not everyone, but I would think most of them think of it as money and food, not enjoyment, but work.
If you feel we should be monitored and our rights and priviledges should be taken away, so be it, it's turning into a communist government.
As far as the "Businessmen" crying about being monitored, tough, you're in the buisness and making money off it, every buisiness is monitored to prevent greed from causing havok. Why? Because it happens over and over again.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 AM

I'm still waiting to hear why their bycatch number is more reliable

As for MRFSS survey's they typical hit where they can get the most survey's done for their time. A major issue with creating overly large numbers. You'll see them on docks go right to the boats with tuna flags and skip any that don't have flags. Not really a fair sample.

I'm in an open marina, right near a major launch ramp, right near a major jetty. We get them alot. Beach area's they typically target will be beaches with limited access so they can get people coming off. Unfortunately they're very targeted survey to ensure they get numbers in both people and fish. Maybe they noticed you didn't catch anything
Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 AM
SS/Veteran

I've been lurking on this one, but I gotta jump in and call Bravo Sierra. 3x and 1 phone survey for stripers?
Dude you hurt your cause when you lie. There are ALOT of anglers who fish ALOT of days on this site. I got in over 100 last year. Up and down the the Jersey beaches. In the years I have been angling in NJ I or anyone I know has NEVER been surveyed.
You are either making sure you are being surveyed for your own personal agenda which makes your #s suspect or you are just fibbin'.

So even if the comm bycatch #'s are not dead on, they are better than the rec #'s which are pure conjecture.

That is how one aspect of the report can be more reliable than another aspect of the report. It is not a take it or leave it. Take what makes sense, be skeptical about what is dubious.

So Mr. ECT, please start a thread here or on the main forum to ask how many of our 10,000+ members were surveyed last year. That would maybe satisfy you. Maybe.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Shipwreck,
I fear you are wasting you breath.You pretty much said what I did,and in different ways,but that explaination isn't in the RFA's handbook for vice presidents,so ECT goes back to his usual bash the comms,and anyone that doesnt agree with him is stupid.Amazing how he gets surveyed as a boat guy so many times,and beach guys get nothing.Ah,I forgot,marinas are easier to survey than beaches,as there is only one way in and out.Guess he has never been to IBSP.One road,three buggy access points,two air stations.Lots of ground to cover there,and thats one of the most popular surf fishing sites on the east coast.
Bob ECT,move closer to your monitor,I dont want to have to shout. The commercial discards are reported,though like others, including some comms,I think the method of reporting is wrong.Recreational discards are only reported by guys who fish boats for the most part.There are many more that fish beaches,piers etc that never get surveyed.I would almost guarentee there are more recs that fish that way than boats.Now,read this carefully.ALL comms have to report their discards,whatever means that are required,or risk losing their ability to make a living.NOT ALL recs have to report theirs,and even if they do,whats the penalty? You just have a hard on for comms,and do anything you can to bring missteps by them to light.Yes,there are some bad ones,and you make sure that any of them that show up are brought to light.However.there are many more recs that thumb their nose at regulations,that no one will ever hear about.Why? Lack of accountability throughout the ENTIRE rec sector,not just boats.
Chew on that for a bit,bring it up at the next RFA meeting,maybe pick up some propaganda,and let the rest of us know what YOU(and not your organization) think.Time for bed,have a great day...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck
I've been lurking on this one, but I gotta jump in and call Bravo Sierra. 3x and 1 phone survey for stripers?
Dude you hurt your cause when you lie.
Did I say survey for stripers? Don't believe I did. MFRSS survey's are for any fish. If you're near a target area you'll get hit alot. I'm right next to major launch ramp.

Try fishing out of OI in NC, you'll get hit once a week by either the state or mrfss.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:32 PM

Rags,

Again how is their number more accurate? You do realize they are from the same source right?? MRFSS! You do realize no comm bycatch reports aren't used for anything right? Has that sunk in yet?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Mr. ECT, please start a thread here or on the main forum to ask how many of our 10,000+ members were surveyed last year. That would maybe satisfy you.
So where you fish is so good that it is the only place surveyed? I fish some well known hotspots and have never been approached. I stand by my original post. Post in the Main Forum and outright ask. Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised. For now I will quote a friend of mine "believe none of what you hear and half of what you see". So for now I believe nothing minus a 1/2. Hows that for Howie Math (o and a party rock)?