Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Saltwater Fishing License - State or Federal?

Is that all ???

Define who's commercial ????

I think I payed a tad bit more, So please Bob shine so light on this ???????
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Anyone selling Bluefin is a commercial Bluefin fisherman. $22 Gen Cat or CHB. Any other category is closed but they still pay the same $22, even the three who get 25% of the US qouta. Maybe if you learned how to use a rod and reel for them you wouldn't have to pay so much

Are you sure your talking about permits to sell bluefins? Or a longline permit for all tuna's
Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
SS/Veteran

So Bob what your saying is that for 22.00 I can go and get a Gen Cat bluefin tuna permit. You know those fish fetch a fair sum in the market don't ya ??

Now what is the main user group of this permit Bob ??? Do they have to fallow mandatory HMS regulations ?? after all they do have the ability to sell there catch which makes them Commercial doesn't it ?????

Bob do you know why the guys down south are pissed ????? Your trying to mix fruits and nuts here. A SWL and a license to sell are two entirely different things. That 22.00 piece of paper is NMFS way of gettin some sort of data and revenue. What does 22.00 work out to be around four pounds. Small price to pay especially when it is supposed to be a sport or a hobby.

I say if ya want to be Comm then you have to fallow all of our REGULATIONS not just the one's that you deem fair, if ya want to be a Rec thats fine don't sell your catch !!!! Once revenues are exchanged then you are not longer doing this for a sport or hobby, You are now COMMERCIAL.

Mandatory 18/0 circle hooks, Mandatory VMS, Mandatory Observer coverage, No Striped bass in NJ etc etc .

I say welcome abroad !!!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 AM

You got all kinds of issues mixed up here. For BFT you're either comm or rec, can't be both unless it's a CHB. CHB was done at the urging of the South boats and for ICCAT reasons. Gotta fill the qouta somehow and it can't be done without the southern boats right now.

NC has a License to Sell, stopped giving them out many years ago. Selling fish has nothing to do with why comm's down there spent 4 years trying to stop the rec license.

Exactly what data do we get from the HMS license?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Picker
if ya want to be a Rec thats fine don't sell your catch !!!!
Bluefin Tuna can get pretty big and it seems that one family might not be able to eat a couple hundered pounds of meat or even have a place to store it. The price for a Tuna trip is very expensive and if I am able to make some of that money back by selling some of the catch there shouldn't be an issue. We are allowed what, 1 fish? It's a little different than being a comm, no? Now if I was allowed to go out and keep 12 fish and sold them I'd say yeah thats more like being a comm. I can see where your coming from though, I just disagree with ya on this one.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:20 PM

You can't just sell one to offset expenses. If you're Gen Cat, you're Gen for the whole year. You can't keep any fish under 73". If you're angling you can only keep fish under 73" (one over per year), none of which can be sold.

For BFT's you're either comm or not, unless it's CHB.

I'm still waiting for the answer of what we get for our current Federal Fishing License? Other then the shaft.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

a rec salt water license,,,,,,100 % of the funds should go to law enforcement,,,,and the fines,,,,when the gamewardons clean up the corruption with fishing poles,,,,SHOULD GO TO RESEARCH!,,, and any rec who complains about paying 20 bucks a year should get their fishing poles confiscated,,,,,because being a rec in this day and age should be a privilege,,,,not a right.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:11 PM

We pay $22, where does that money go? What do we get?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ECT
You got all kinds of issues mixed up here. For BFT you're either comm or rec, can't be both unless it's a CHB. CHB was done at the urging of the South boats and for ICCAT reasons. Gotta fill the qouta somehow and it can't be done without the southern boats right now.

NC has a License to Sell, stopped giving them out many years ago. Selling fish has nothing to do with why comm's down there spent 4 years trying to stop the rec license.

Exactly what data do we get from the HMS license?

I have no issues mixed up, your cryin that you get nothing for your 22.00 permit. That 22.00 permit , permits you to catch HMS mainly Bluefin tuna which in turn permits you to sell you catch. Provided that the state doesn't have a landing licenses. In this case NC does that amount is minimal, However NJ doesn't have a landing permit. So you could go everyday during the season gobble up your limit run home and sell it.

Now if we were playing on a level playin field you guys would be made to carry observers, Have VMS, and fallow the rest of our laws and regs. So what is your beef ??? big deal you spent 22.00 you can make 220,000.00.

This is where the real scam comes in . 90% of the boats that are doing this are charter boats. Who take or I should say use there clients to crank the fish in. The boat takes a picture of the sucker and the tuna , the sucker goes home and shows the picture to all his buds. He's a fishing god. Meanwhile Mr.Tuna is being handled with kit gloves in route to ASIA. The captain and crew of this wannabe comm rig are sittin in a bar slurppin down Mt Gay and cokes countin there coins laughin about the jackass that just did all there work. Did I leave anything out ???????

Oh yeah here comes the comm guy who has depended on these fish to make his living. He can't do that anymore because the Jacka$$ sitten at the bar just under cut his market. They can afford to because the sucker has already paid there days wages Mr.Tuna is a bonus.

Now Bob ask yourself what do you get for 22.00 ?????? Dam right I want a landing permit and a SWL I want to see who's who and whats what. If you sell a scale you are a COMM play by our rules no ifs ands or butts.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 AM

Sorry that's not the way it works.

What do recreational anglers get for the $22 license. They do not get to sell their fish in any state, they do not even get to keep fish over 73". Heck for most of the year they can't keep any of any size. What do they get for their $22 every year.

90% of boats selling BFT's are Charters huh? Have you been scanning the list of permit holders lately? Aren't most charters on the weekends? They still have to follow Gen Cat days, not to mention Gen Cat limits. Are 300lb fish common catches for charters?

You would think if it was so easy for the charters to load up and sell al these BFT's the US would be able to fill it's tiny qouta. It's been what 4 years now since the qouta was filled?

The Gen cat remains managed as it has been historically. Individual fish caught on rod and reel.

I'm still waiting to hear what recs get for the $22 permit?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:38 PM
SS/Veteran

What prevents you from sellin your tuna in NJ ????
Old 01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
SS/Veteran

" 90% of boats selling BFT's are Charters huh? Have you been scanning the list of permit holders lately? Aren't most charters on the weekends? They still have to follow Gen Cat days, not to mention Gen Cat limits. Are 300lb fish common catches for charters? "

Who say they can only charter on weekends. ????? How many Charter Boats are in NC right now fishing for tuna ?????? Better yet how many from NJ are in NC as we speak fishing for tuna ???????
Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 AM

With an angling permit you can't sell any BFT's in any state. You're not even allowed to keep any fish that are legal to sell (73"+), except for your one trophy per year.

In NC right now days are split, Gen Cat on most weekdays, charter catch and release on weekends. I think they just opened up some more weekend days for the Gen Cat though. Again this year, they can't fill it. Most Charters are sending refunds for any trips they had booked that becomes a gen cat day. Nobody wants inexperienced charters on their boat messing around with a 500lb BFT they can sell.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Bob No need to dance around here. WHAT TYPE OF VESSEL IS IN NC AS WE TYPE COMMERCIALLY FISHING FOR TUNA ?? Don't give me that Gen cat BS , What type of vessel is the bulk of the fleet.

Would you like me to start cutin/pasten ??????
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 AM

Mixed. Many Gen Cat's from the North are down there and many charters fishing weekdays as comm boats.

What would you rather see the Charters not fish for them? If they don't we lose the qouta at ICCAT.

Sorry to disappoint you but Charters/small rod and reel boats are the historical way these fish have been caught.