Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Gill Netters?

picker, the weather is nice a little windy the past few days but nothing too bad,surf has been really big and we should be goin g out again in a few days when the wind lays down hopefully we will pile up the wahoos and even scratch some nice sized yfts,and bob even if you take in the bayside and parttimers you are still only talking about maybe 25 at the highest ,most have refitted their boats for day scalloping,oh and on the comm front my good friend took delivery of a new 46 wesmac for monkfishing and he loves the boat
Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Who was that KW ???? I have one more gobbler to hang in in the AM then it's off to Pimpin my ride. Glad your havin fun.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:55 PM

no it was Mike Johnson on the sea farmer thats the name of the wesmac too
Old 01-09-2006, 07:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I'll check it out next time I'm up there.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 PM

yeah definately his boat is at viking village on the 2nd dock out,oh and by the way how do you put somebody elses post on your reply like bob ect did a couple of posts ago i can't figure that one out
Old 01-10-2006, 06:08 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman482
yeah definately his boat is at viking village on the 2nd dock out,oh and by the way how do you put somebody elses post on your reply like bob ect did a couple of posts ago i can't figure that one out
Cut n Paste or Reply quote button high light what you want to quote.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:24 PM

When I think about gillnetters, I think of my grandfather.

He was one of three fishermen from Lake Superior who came east to Gloucester in 1909 and introduced gillnetting to the yankees. Until that time, the Gloucester fishermen jigged, seined or fished tub trawls.

The Michigan folks had had three tough years on L. Superior and L. Michigan and were convinced by the Bureau of Com.Fisheries (Predecessor of NMFS) to bring a boat east and fish their gillnets in Ipswich Bay. They came down through the straits to Michigan, through the Chicago River and across L.Erie to the Barge Canal, through it to the Hudson and up the coast to Gloucester.

They fished the winter of 1908-09 and average $10 per day and had never seen so much money in their lives. Most were the progeny of german and sweedish imigrants who learned gillnetting on the Skagarak and North Sea before coming to America just after the Civil War.

They went back home to Charlevoix and Bear Island and that summer, led an exodus of nine boats from Michigan to Gloucester and founded the gillnet fishery. I remember growing up in E. Gloucester in a neighborhood of fishermen, most of whom had come east from michigan. My grandfather and five uncles fished and held unlimited tonage CG licenses and hung out at the Master Mariners Assn. when ashore.

My first real job was "reeling" gillnets for the Phyllis A and Naomi Bruce,III at the warves in East Gloucester. Great work for a kid after school. We got $.075 per box but that jumped to $1 or even $1.50/box during the winter months when the boxes came ashore solid ice. Those nets were tarred cotton and each boat had to have three sets of nets. One fishing, one drying ashore and one on the boat to be set after the one fishing was hauled. Navigation was by compass and leadline. No monofilament net, Ship to Shore of Single Sideband radiophones, no Loran, radar and no GPS. Oh, and lest I forget, the largest boat that fished the Winter of 1909 was 22 feet long.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
SS/Veteran

The Old timer that hangs my nets for me, always tells me stories about pullin cotton nets by hand I even have a Cotton Mackerel net. He alway looks at it and with a gleam in his eyes and a smile on his face says " That Net will alway work for ya , Whatever you want to catch it will catch it." I keep it in a nice pile covered over with a tarp. No I'll never use it !!! But I know that it has brought such good luck to him so I'll never part with it.

George was the king of the cod fish back in the day when they used to launch dories from the beach. His picture is plastered all over the Lobster houses ( famous Cape May Restaurant ) walls. He makes some crazy nets for me and damm if they don't catch.

Unfortunately for me he doesn't have the power any more to hang nets , He is now my supervisor and overseer. He lays out the tops and bottoms and I tie the knots. To bad he doesn't have a computer man he could tell some stories.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 PM

My family had a house there and fished Winters out of Cape May on the "Orion" and "Superior" from the early 1930's till WWII when the navy took my grandfather's dragger and my uncles went in the navy and merchant marine. I was born in '35 and can remember playing on the front porch there and walking the beach with my mom.

Ask your old guy if he remembers those boats. "Orion" was a seiner converted from a yacht and had a real racy profile. "Superior" was a western-rig dragger launched in Essex in '37 so she only fished there a few years. My grandfather and uncle Ronald Dahlmer captained the "Superior" and my uncle Ralph(Eber)Dahlmer captained "Orion".