Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Satellite Radio

My wife wants Satellite radio for our trips out to Ohio and her 20 - 25 minutes commute to work.

I know that Sirius just took over XM so I'm assuming that I should buy a Sirius radio.

I'm not interested in a radio model that has iPod like features. Looking at the Sirius web site they are offering three (3) different models ranging in price from $39.99 Sportster 3, to $44.99 Stratus 4 and $143.99 for the Sportster 5. I think the Sportser 5 includes one year of service??

Suggestions/Advice Please
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Satellite Radio

I had the sportster 4 and wasn't thrilled, I replaced it with the S-50 which I liked better(you don't have to use the ipod, but its nice to be able to record programs for later listening) easier to use and smaller. I still didn't like the clips on the dash and running power from the lighter and if you do any traveling the FM transmitter sucks. I finally wound up installing a new radio in the dash with a serious tuner which is what I would reccommend. Pioneer makes one for about $200 that is a good buy and its also bluetooth compatible if you need it.
As far as service, the lifetime subscription seems to be a no brainer if you have the $. $500 bucks adds up quick in yearly service fees and if the merger did go through a price hike may be in the near future. I've been very happy with my Sirius although if your an audiophile you will be disappointed with the sound quality as compared to CD.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

if you have an "older" car (I know not likely, but 04 jeep grand cherokee's had them) with a cassette radio, the cassette adapters work 100% better than the FM transmitters for mp3 type accessories. Just an FYI.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 AM

I read a while ago that if the merger goes through both original formats and hardware will be supported. However, they are planning on a new a-la-cart format with the merger and new equipment would be required. So just look at the programming and choose which on has more that you would listen to. I have XM because I like Opie and Anthony and I like the Pioneer Inno. I would recommend a direct hook up to you stereo. The FM transmitters are flaky and the sound quality isn't as good.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Will My Radio Work?
XM always had the better hardware.
The music choices are nearly the same, XM has Baseball, Sirus Football (who can listen to a football game on the radio?)
The best connection is hardwired, an input jack or the cassette adapter, the FCC had them reduce the power of the FM transmitters, if you were driving next to one you could tune it in from a couple of car lengths away. A neighbor about 150' from me has a old sirus and I can tune it in from my house, the newer ones need to be real close like on top of the antenna.

I have had XM since 6/02 because a certain radio duo kept bashing their company for playing commercials for the radios future competion. A few months latter they were fired for something else and I was so happy to have satelite. I don't think I've listened to terastrile radio since, and very rarely listen to recoreded music. Then 2 years latter they poped up on XM happy time. It may not be cd quality but it is 10X better then regular radio. I can email a link for a discounted radio, full disclousure I get a $20 gift card if anyone buys

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Togalicious Moderator

http://www.siriusspecials.com/index....FQ4JPQodTzZzSA

Trying to see what deals are out there but some retailers just can't beat some prices...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4fun View Post
(who can listen to a football game on the radio?)
It may not be cd quality but it is 10X better then regular radio.
Football is the only sport I follow and I'd rather listen on the radio than miss the game. Allot of guys I know listen to the radio broadcast while watching the game because the TV announcers are so bad.

When I installed my new car stereo I just snipped off the terestrial radio cable. As far as I'm concerned it's obsolete.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyraw View Post
Allot of guys I know listen to the radio broadcast while watching the game because the TV announcers are so bad.
2nd that, I have been known to mute the TV and listen to music or a smodcast. I can some what tollerate Bob Papa, but not Dick Lynch and Carl Banks maybe after the merger I'll have the option of tuneing in the opponents team, and the ESPN tv team

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Been doing some more research, now I'm really confused. Apparently Sirius is claiming that they will be offering "Ala Carte" programming however none of the current receivers are capable to do this. Also from what I've been reading on different Sat. sites is that some "insiders" expect that EVERYONE will eventually have to buy new receivers.

Looking at the NEW programming XM with Sirius and vice versa, I should go with XM because it offers the MLB package. Hey, if I have to drive to Ohio and I can listen to a Yankees game, why not. That'll probably get her pissed.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Should be getting an updated "Friends and Family" special from XM soon I think, will shoot it your way when I do. Usually some pretty good deals on XM receivers.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottog View Post
Should be getting an updated "Friends and Family" special from XM soon I think, will shoot it your way when I do. Usually some pretty good deals on XM receivers.
Yeah like free radios

Until then this one ain't bad SKYFI3

Old 03-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Togalicious Moderator

MyRadioStore.com is one of the top satellite eTailers in the US. Good people
Old 03-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Togalicious Moderator

From my inside sources, while the merger was approved, it's still pending FCC approval and the joint venture is still far, far away. The new receivers, joint programming, etc is well over a year or two away I'm told.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Been with sattellite for over 4 years now. I have XM. There is going to be a merger, but it still has not cleared the FCC hurdle. It will. Mel Karmizan is doing the selling.
XM=Opie and Anthony and Baseball
Sirius=Howard Stern and Football.

I like the former. It really is 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other.

The rub is both services operate on totally different platforms. They will not wholesale switch. But you will need a new hardware sooner or later. They are cheap. C'mon Bob, I see your love of new computer tech, this is the same.

My radio store dot com is a place to get a great deal. I can also get you a XM family package price Bob, if you want. Email me.

It is the best thing since sliced bread. All the talk, the myriad of music, and the constant signal, streaming via computer, its the only way that makes sense. When my inlaws come over we play the 40s and 50 station and they say "I haven't heard that song in decades" about 15 times per dinner.

If you like radio, you cannot, not have one.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM

Ive listened to both, and currently have Sirius. Music selection on Sirius is 100x better.