Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs up Apple Mac Pro

FedEx delivered my new Apple Mac Pro yesterday afternoon around 3:30. Hauled it downstairs to the office, pulled it out of the box, connected the LCD monitors, ethernet cables, speakers and keyboard. Pushed the power button and by 3:50 the machine had set itself up, set up the LCD screens for dual view, found the Bluetooth mouse, ethernet connection, wireless router, my Windows PC and the Laptop, plus instantly set up the printer, updated the software and asked me what I wanted to do next.

Already having a Mac Mini I was expecting it to be simple but that was amazing. The only thing I don't like so far is the Apple Mighty Mouse. I can't get used to being without a right click button.

Today I thought, I'm getting tired of all the BS conflicts with the RAID drivers on my Windows "Rocket" PC. If you know anything about RAID you know it can be very difficult to set up, you do it in the BIOS as well as in Windows. Problem is that Windows wants to use its drivers and your RAID card wants to use its different drivers. The conflicts became a real PIA so I even tried a software RAID, using the MOBO's supplied Nvidia drivers. That was even worse.

Pulled the two hard drives out of the Rocket, attached Apple's hard drive brackets, slid them into the machine and turned it on.

First thing I see when the Mac boots is the icon for the Macintosh HD and a second one right below it named "RAID Set 1." I was flabbergasted! I started up the Disk Utility app and it asked me to confirm the RAID configuration by dragging the icons of the two hard disks into the RAID configuration screen. Five seconds later its done, I still can't believe it.

I promise not to turn into one of those obnoxious Apple fanatics who rave about the silliest things, after all, a MAC is a PC. I can't help but wonder what the IT business would be like today if Apple had decided to just sell its far superior Operating System.

OR if Bill Gates and company had decided to make the Windows, patched together, POS, Operating System better than Apple's.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:21 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Apple Mac Pro

if you've ever been to a developer's conference, like I was in the infancy of digital video, you realize that Gate's business model was one of shilling inferior products, along with supporting a cartel of other hucksters.

this has been from day one, and hasn't changed.

now micro$oft goes on a seek, acquire and destroy campaign, whenever possible.

that said, the cheap is better mentality does allow it to continue.... I think you just pushed the envelope too much to get any kind of support in your efforts Mr. D.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Re: Apple Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I think you just pushed the envelope too much to get any kind of support in your efforts Mr. D.
I'm baffled, what do you mean?

Something else I like, the MAC comes with Chess. I can set the expertise level for the computer to "Idiot" and beat it every time within minutes.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM

I just meant w.r.t. using features that will actually *work*, not "support" in any sense of opinions (mine or anybody else's). In other words, if I purchase a regular "off the shelf" pc with "normal" options, things work pretty smoothly. The more I deviate outside of "standard" configurations, the harder and harder it becomes... that's all I meant.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I just meant w.r.t. using features that will actually *work*, not "support" in any sense of opinions (mine or anybody else's). In other words, if I purchase a regular "off the shelf" pc with "normal" options, things work pretty smoothly. The more I deviate outside of "standard" configurations, the harder and harder it becomes... that's all I meant.
So you are saying that all people should do is buy the standard Dell/HP/eMachines PC and be happy with it? I was talking awhile ago with one of the guys at a PC repair shop down the road, the two biggest problems people encounter are:

1: Windows just sucks.
2: Microsoft, Dell, HP, et al provide horrible tech support for consumers.

The biggest hardware failure issues, the cheap hard drives installed in the "standard PC's" failing. Hard drives and other heat sensitive components failing because the cases don't have enough ventilation and the case fans are just crap.

PC's have become disposable. Something "breaks" and people are ready to run out and buy a new one. That's dumber than dumb.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM

I'm actually not saying "should" but just saying that's why micro$oft gets away with pushing an inferior product with superior market share.

Also, I've had 3 compaq laptops in the family, 2 HP's and I'm stuck with an IBM for work (we have no choice w.r.t. what we can use...), add to that an HP viao desktop over the span of what, 10 years? none of them have had a hardware failure of any kind. software problems? sure, but always when installing some peripheral using . That is just no $ spent integrating everything...

The only hardware failure I had was for an elcheapo that I assembled from parts for my son. The motherboard tanked and I really had no interest in finding out why... just not worth it.... he had enough $ of his own to go get a laptop, which is running fine.

hey, I don't want to be on micro$oft's side... I grew up with *nix and love it for back office apps, and I suppose some *nix kernel is at the heard of the macs as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Funny you've had good luck with HP's. My daughter has a new HP laptop, beautiful 17" screen, running with Vista Home Premium. She has sent it back twice for problems with the MOBO. Second time they just put a new MOBO in it.

Her husband's Dell 4 year old desktop started "Blue Screening" aka BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), he bought a new HP.

We went out to Ohio the week after it was delivered. First thing I had to do when I got there was open up the case and figure out what was "clicking." I knew what it was just by the sound, some of the wiring wasn't properly anchored, too close to the exhaust fan.

I loaded his Dell in the Jeep and brought it home. Set it up, after two BSOD's I rebooted into BIOS, re-set it to display error codes and then booted it. BIOS reported error as a bad RAM module. Replaced both RAM modules, works like a charm. Now Genevieve Sophia has a fast PC with a huge hard drive, 2MB RAM, 2 DVD drives, 512MB graphics card, 5.1 surround sound, running XP Professional. Far more than she needs but the price was right, $0.00 including delivery, professional set up and transfer of all old files to "new" machine.

I even hauled away the old PC, pulled out the hard disk and RAM, dropped it off at the county recycling center.

Funniest thing is that the old PC also came from my son-in-law, it was an old "broken" eMachine that I had taken home from Ohio when he bought the Dell.

BTW I discovered that the Apple Mighty Mouse can be customized just like my Logitech laser. I now have a "right click" button. BUT I also discovered that Copy & Paste or Cut & Paste isn't necessary with MAC's Leopard. It's simply Highlight and Drag.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

I'm seeing in todays world most things are disposable including pc's based on there rather inexpensive price. After 2 or 3 years it's out dated anyway so the $ is better spent on new then bringing an old unit back to life.

And HEAT seems to be the #1 problem. Seems the manufactures won't address it because it will hurt there sales...

"BTW I discovered that the Apple Mighty Mouse can be customized just like my Logitech laser. I now have a "right click" button. BUT I also discovered that Copy & Paste or Cut & Paste isn't necessary with MAC's Leopard. It's simply Highlight and Drag."

Drag and drop. Wonder where that came from.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I'm seeing in todays world most things are disposable including pc's based on there rather inexpensive price. After 2 or 3 years it's out dated anyway so the $ is better spent on new then bringing an old unit back to life.

And HEAT seems to be the #1 problem. Seems the manufactures won't address it because it will hurt there sales...

"BTW I discovered that the Apple Mighty Mouse can be customized just like my Logitech laser. I now have a "right click" button. BUT I also discovered that Copy & Paste or Cut & Paste isn't necessary with MAC's Leopard. It's simply Highlight and Drag."

Drag and drop. Wonder where that came from.
Except that CD\DVD drives, Power Supply Units, RAM, fans and cables are all re-usable and we're tossing them out for no good reason. I agree that heat is a key issue but as you stated the manufacturers aren't interested because they would actually have to do some professional manufacturing design engineering. They are more interested in slapping the components together as cheaply as possible and marketing. The inside of the new HP machines is a disgrace.

I remembered last night where I first learned about GUI's and "Drag & Drop," it was in the mid 80's on the Apple we bought for our engineering department. Meanwhile the rest of the company was using IBM and Compaq PC's running Lotus 1-2-3 and dBase III under DOS.

I can still recall the very first release of Windows, and thinking to myself what the hell good is this? It was a real abomination. Over time and numerous releases it got "better" and then came the breakthrough, Windows 95 and MS Office. 95 was the ultimate POS release of patches. Next up was Windows 98, a horrible OS that many companies refused to use for a few years. Remember "Scandisk"? Then the uber bombs Windows 2000 and Windows Millenium even worse than 98. Finally XP which was the beginning of some stability. (BTW the word is out not to upgrade to XP release 3 people are discovering too many new problems)

Looking back, would anyone believe that a company could consistently release horrible products for over 15 years and yet achieve world domination? Without Office, Microsoft would have gone under.