Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Help build the ultimate PC...

Bob, I'll throw in Virtual PC also, so we can switch between linux and Vista on the fly

Of course, if we want, we can install a few OS's, but that will take some storage.....

We need a great Hard Drive, may i suggest this one....

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...a9f30eac4f0a0/

Quote:
CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW 2007, LAS VEGAS – January 5, 2007 – Consumers' ability to store video, photos, music and other valued data will reach new heights as Hitachi Global Storage Technologies today announced the industry's first terabyte (TB) hard drive. Delivering superior performance and reliability, as well as capacity, Hitachi's 1TB hard drive meets the needs of consumers who want to create, share and store their digital information, and lots of it. Hitachi's Deskstar? 7K1000 will begin shipping to retail customers in the first quarter of 2007 at a suggested retail price of $399 (USD), or 40 cents per gigabyte (GB). This new consumer-friendly price makes ultra-high storage capacity more affordable and accessible than ever before.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Bob,

My PC that I rarely use is liquid cooled and I've never had a problem with leaks or defects in materials. It runs nice and cool, smooth, and I don't hear a damn thing.

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM

-Microsoft XP Professional
-4 GB RAM
-250 GB Hard-Drive
-CD-RW / DVD-RW
-Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor
-XXXXXXX XL20 Monitor 20.1''
-Nvidia GeForce 8800
-ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual Socket L (Socket 1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard (Needs to be fast, capable, due to all the other stuff I'm putting in)
-SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07-B Black 4.0mm ~ 8.0mm uni-body aluminum outer frame, 2.0mm aluminum body ATX Full Tower Computer Case (Needs alot of fans so it doesn't overheat)
-LOGISYS Computer LDKMTRD1 Single Red Meteor Light Kit (Lights make the case look awesome)
-Wouldn't mind having a temperature system so you know that your motherboard hopefully wouldn't overcook

THIS WOULD BE A GREAT RIG. however probably would cost like 4k at a store. most likely 2k-3k if you make it yourself. i wouldnt mind having this rig..
Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 PM

I think ALIENWARE beat us to it . Check out the ALIENWARE Area 51 ALX.
Base price $4990.00 max out all the options and the price of this PC is $9662.00

www.alienware.com
Old 08-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs down Re: Help build the ultimate PC...

That company (now owned by Dell) offers one of the highest priced PC's around but if you check the reviews of the company and that PC model, they are primarily very bad. Even Cnet, which never bashes anything states it is over priced and no better than most other high end gaming PC's.

The case looks like the head of the alien in the Sigourny Weaver movie, ALIENS

Old 09-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Re: Help build the ultimate PC...

The Ultimate build is underway, I've spent a lot of my spare time searching for information on various parts, not just on the manufacturers web sites but sites with reviews and info from users. I've therefore made some changes from the original "concept," the first is that the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 CPU at $1,200 (now $1050) was a big expense knowing that Intel will be introducing the new Pennryn (Sp?) some time in early 2008. Therefore I went with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 CPU which I was able to purchase for $280.00.

Next is the MOBO (motherboard), I did a ton of research and realized that all of the "highly" rated and expensive products were more marketing hype than reality. ASUS makes a "highly," rated board but its highly rated by ASUS, their customer complaints are enormous, the board itself has a well known serious bug which is really pissing off their customers and even worse than that their customer service is reportedly abysmal to non-existent.

I was really confused for awhile then I "stood back" and reminded myself that this machine is needed for graphics and video editing so why not go with the same brand as my selected video card, EVGA. The EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard is a perfect match, EVGA has real customer service and it is one of the highest rated boards on the market. The net cost is $200 which is over $300 less than the ASUS buggy board. That was a no brainer.

The VGA card is the EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported.

Thermaltake W0131RU ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply 100 at $260.00 is very expensive but I purchased it in a Newegg "Combo" deal which saved me $30.00 and even has a $50.00 rebate. I figure that at 850 watts adding another VGA card in SLI configuration won't cause any future problems.

I also purchased two (2) LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burners, one (1) with LightScribe.

A Sony 3-1/2" floppy drive, a Lian Li Card reader, and the Lian Li Temperature & Fan Controller since I have 4 fans including the CPU heatsink.

I'll be taking one 500GB Maxtor hard drive out of my Dell and have a second identical hard drive for RAID 1. I can run RAID 1 right from the EVGA Motherboard but I have a separate PROMISE FastTrak TX4310 PCI SATA II Controller Card RAID which I'm going to use rather than slow down the CPU.

In talking with a couple of guys who build specialized servers for their company they suggested that I get a 10,000 RPM hard drive for the Operating System and Programs. That is a good idea so I got a Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive It has a window in it but why I don't know, it will be locked away in the case.

I was planning on using two (2) 1 GB Crucial Ballistix RAM sticks but the ones I have are DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) and the EVGA motherboard can handle higher speed RAM. Today I ordered CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel which is also approved by EVGA for their motherboard.
All this is going in the LIAN LI PC-V2000APLUSII W Silver Aluminum Server Computer Case. It's very big but has room for 12 hard drives! I will never need 12, maybe 6, but the extra space could be used to install the pump of a water cooling system. Both sides of the case come off so its easy to install the various components.

The only thing I have not decided on yet is the Operating System. It's either going to be Windows XP Professional or Vista Ultimate. Frankly I'm "scared" of making the Vista "leap" until they come out with SP1. Unfortunately from what I've read and heard, SP1 won't have a lot of bug fixes, the fully debugged Vista SP2 won't be available for perhaps a year. I got that from two IT guys who had just sat through a sales pitch by MS. Apparently the majority of businesses are NOT implementing Vista and MS wants to push them faster. Those two IT guys are NOT buying Vista for their company.

I am planning on installing the Ubuntu Linux OS on a partition of the hard drive just for the hell of it. My current graphics and HTML software is not available for Linux so its just something to play with.

That 30 inch Dell LCD monitor is now on a -15% special price. I am going to buy it but right now I am really mad at Dell. That will be explained in a separate DELL SUCKS thread.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

You need somebody to test drive it for about a year or so...

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Test drive? That won't be necessary but I appreciate the offer.

I decided tonight that this PC will run with Windows XP Pro, and ordered the OEM pack from Newegg.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

You forgot the 12gauge wire and 20 amp breaker to fun a dedicated 220 line to feed this monster, have fun!

Me? I'll stay with my $300 Dell outlet specials....

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs up Re: Help build the ultimate PC...

I already need a 20 amp line in my office. I've got so many pieces of electronics running I have to be careful.

The "Ultimate" is nearly complete. Late last night I plugged it in and hit the start button. It powered right up, no beeps, weird sounds, or odor of toasting electronics.

If I have a few hours later tonight I'll set up the BIOS and install Windows XP Pro. I'm not going to immediately attempt to overclock it, I first want to get the RAID card properly set up.

I also got an email this morning - the Dell 30 inch LCD monitor has been shipped! I wonder what Carole is going to say when she sees that sitting on the desk along with the 20 inch and 24 inch monitors!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

She will probably start calling you Al Gore, and insist you apply for carbon credits...
Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

She may say it would have been cheeper to get stronger glass's.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Glasses are a sore subject in my house. Carole thinks its perfectly ok to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars every year on cool frames. Her latest frames are titantium and cost as much as a damn Van Staal reel!

She also has a very "heavy foot," she used to put the "pedal to the metal" when we had a Corvette. I doubt she has much interest in carbon credits and besides that she thinks Al Gore is a metrosexual.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Damn, DHL delivered the new 30 inch LCD monitor on Friday but I wasn't home.

I guess I'll stay home on Monday......

The new PC is operational, in fact I'm using it right now. I haven't done anything special, everything at standard settings, but I can see that it is faster without overclocking anything.

Right now I'm fighting with Windows XP to recognize my RAID 1 array.

The first thing I did after installing XP was download the Firefox browser!

BTW If you are in the market for a new desktop keyboard may I suggest the all Aluminum Enermax USB keyboard. It uses scissor type keystroking similar to laptop keyboards. Very smooth, low profile, however it is not wireless.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

The 30 inch Dell LCD monitor arrived on Monday..... ummm it's really big

Quote:
I wonder what Carole is going to say when she sees that sitting on the desk along with the 20 inch and 24 inch monitors!
Answer =

Ever wonder what happens when you are working on cabling fans while the PC is running and a "hot" 12 volt male pin hits the chassis.....

I know, SPARK, ZAP, POP, IMMEDIATE SHUT DOWN.

I thought I might have shorted out the MOBO or the CPU but all is OK. Whew!