Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Much as I would like to, I avoid contact with anybody at the club. There is too much contention over where and from whom we get the birds. We just smile and talk about the weather. Rich, don't you know about clubs?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Much as I would like to, I avoid contact with anybody at the club. There is too much contention over where and from whom we get the birds. We just smile and talk about the weather. Rich, don't you know about clubs?
Apparently not. I pride myself in most cases as a non joiner unless I can stay in the background. There is a local club here that my son and neighbor belong to and I can say it is the mostly run by three guys with no vision for the future.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Raising pheasants can be very complicated if the mission is a huntable bird. You want a bird that flys so well that it is not forced to run. Consequently, it is necessary to raise them in flight pens so they can develop that ability. If you just keep them in cages they are not good for hunting. Massachusetts, like so many things, raises a pheasant that flies poorly and that makes for a lousey hunt.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Regarding your slippery Omega you mentioned before. You can go out and buy at any feed store a roll of name brand Vetrap. If is self adhering bandage used on horses and even humans. It is four inches wide and five yards and cost $2.30. Wrap the gun with it after you take out cleaning rod for camoflage and non slip surface. After the season goes by it is easy to remove and won't stick to gun but sticks to itself.

Tomorrow for me Card Turkey shoot starting at 11:30, pig roast visit and socialize and them home for Patriots game. I might have to wear my watch to make this plan work.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Feed store???? We don't have any feed stores in my area. If you want "feed" you get bird food at Walmart. I'll watch but I don't hold out any hope for solving the problem. I carried the Omega last week and stopped thinking about the slipperiness. Of course I never raised it. Two of us saw ONE deer in five days and she shot it. But I am flattered over your thinking about my problem.

OTS, does it get our ash that bucks walk buy that we are not allowed to shoot. While the cross-bow and archery guys can shoot any deer. To me a cross bow is like boat fishing -- cheating!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Tractor Supply, Agway plus businesses that cater to horses will have a batch display of Vet Wraps. The trouble is most on display are bright pink or bright green and other hideous colors. You will want black or brown and a darker green. One roll will do for your needs making gun camoflaged and slip proof. If you live where none of these stores exist you may live in Boston?.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM

I have a Tractor Supply on Rt 146 not too far. I'll check them out. Thanks for that.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM

My wife, Joyce, is pulling some interesting sh** these days. She is heaping venison cuts on family and friends as though she was trying to get rid of it. I believe in my core that she is trying to create a shortage of deer meat so she can justify more hunting. She can be a buggah ya know.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:42 AM
SS/Veteran

It is her maternal instinct plus she knows more are coming and she will need the freezer space.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
It is her maternal instinct plus she knows more are coming and she will need the freezer space.
Yes, that is pretty much it. A related explanation is she wants to see a desperate need for more deer meat which justifies her need to get out there and bag a bunch. It deflates her desire to hunt if we don't need the venison. I guess I am like that as well but I think she has a bigger fire under her deer hunting butt than I because I have hunted so many more years -- me for 65 years and she for 35 years.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 AM

While Merlin makes a lot of cogent and knowledgeable posts to this thread, this, like all other threads, is not a private discussion and members are invited to post.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank, have you considered or now use a ground blind?. Doing a memory rewind I have shot deer in pouring cold rain and others in pure cold. Now that I am old it seems to be the way to go which made me did the jump this AM to buy one on sale. New stuff (toys) are a good thing as you know.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Merlin has really good insights into things. Even if I don't have interest in the topic if I see his name I read it. Often funny as well
Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Frank, have you considered or now use a ground blind?. Doing a memory rewind I have shot deer in pouring cold rain and others in pure cold. Now that I am old it seems to be the way to go which made me did the jump this AM to buy one on sale. New stuff (toys) are a good thing as you know.
Great idea Merlin. Frank you out to listen to this guy. Get a ground blind. They are just like pop up ice fishing shelters. Once you get one grab a Mr. Buddy heater (big buddy model) which runs on 1# propane bottles and you and the Mrs. can shoot comfortably in 65-70 degree warmth. The heater even has a low 02 safety shut off and tip over shut off so that the only thing dying will be what you shoot!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:30 PM

It takes only a few minutes to fashion a ground blind of nearby natural materials. Unless a hurricane comes through and blows it away, it stays all season so you only have to do that once. An actual store bought ground blind is too easy to steal. For that reason I don't recommend it unless you are on closed property not available to others and we don't have any of that. A part of our hunting, maybe half, is slow still hunting where we are quite mobile. So when we rest while moving around we sit in a place with natural cover -- rocks, some clusters of juniper or mountain laurel, which is all over our pet locations. We would love a tree stand if it had stairs, hand rail, a roof, shooting ports ...... the simple amenities that boat fishermen rely upon when they arrive at hunting seasons.

One thing we do is get decent junk chairs and leave them in the woods. We have never had one stolen. Because none are stolen, we stopped picking them up on trash day pick-up. Our collection of chairs are those white plastic one piece chairs that tend to chalk up and are thrown away all over. If they are too chalky, she spray paints them camo-ish brown/green splotchy. But we only have one with a cup holder and rack for my "Readers Digest".