Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Deer season is over for me here in these parts, 10 inches of heavy snow on the ground and 4 more inches coming today. Neighbor Mike plowed me out with his big dog no nonsense truck while before I was thrashing my way out with my half ton 4wd. I spoke with him saying his truck went well in this snow and he said "chains". I know with four wheel drive and chains you can climb trees. The deer as of just before the storm were heading towards there winter yards. The season which officially ends on Monday here and for me it is time to shoot the muzzle loader and clean it up and store away for next year.

Deer kill as reported from Masswildlife says deer kill in Western Mass is way low--dah! I could have told them that. Time to throw wood at the stove, hunker down and dream of things to come.

Has anyone seen the sun lately?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Hunting in RI's private antlerless shotgun season this AM I missed a small, what our son, Dick, calls "orphans". We have until this Wednesday. I hope the snow is not too deep. I choke up when I think we have to quit after that. Our muzzleloaders are scoped so we shoot them at the range to check them before we put them away.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Something is happening here! A friend went to Cabelas in E Hartford with a list of ammo to buy. He said the aisles were mostly dusted of ammo and what remained was being picked over. Did I miss the call to arms? or is there an end of the year inventory tax? As you probably know their aisle can be equated to an aisle in a major grocery store.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Senior Fellow

Obummer fear!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Not surprised that ammo is leaving the shelves. Legit gun owners obviously fear that they are going to be victimized by the frenzied response of society. Like everything else, it will pass. As long as there are ten rounds for next season's deer hunting we will have enough to get by.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Bird hunting in October a friend had a tick on his shirt but we never saw another tick after that. Joyce and I hunted around 57 days in the deer woods and never saw another tick.

Also, all the deer were heavier this year than the weights we are used to. 18 month yearlings were 120/130 instead of 100/110 dressed. We attribute that to the abundance of acorns. Now that the snow has covered the nuts the dumb buggahs are not smart enough to dig. They are eatin bushes -- junipers and spruce.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Bird hunting in October a friend had a tick on his shirt but we never saw another tick after that. Joyce and I hunted around 57 days in the deer woods and never saw another tick.

Also, all the deer were heavier this year than the weights we are used to. 18 month yearlings were 120/130 instead of 100/110 dressed. We attribute that to the abundance of acorns. Now that the snow has covered the nuts the dumb buggahs are not smart enough to dig. They are eatin bushes -- junipers and spruce.
Old eyes can not see deer ticks but only see wood ticks (dog ticks). Even young eyes well some of them barely see deer ticks.

Maybe it is because there are less deer as the forage from year to year rougly stays the same and to stir that mix there was a mild winter last year where the kill off in the so called bottle neck of winter was less.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM

This was in the paper so it must be true, . The New Hampshire Police Chiefs ASsoc is holding a raffle in May with a top prize of a Ruger SR-556 semi-auto carbine with a 30 round magazine clip, collapsible stock, valued at two grand. Tickets are sold out. The Boston Globe, in this news item and taking a little more license than is prudent outside the editorial pages, calls it "insensitve in a growing storm of criticism ....."
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Interesting; You might think that we might be in Chapter one of a who knows how many chapters.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM

I agree with background checks, banning assault weopons, limited purchases, but government never knows what it is doing, never knows when to stop. They more likely pass something stupid that makes the law-abiding victim while the bad guys do what they want. I distrust liberals whose true mission is to punish conservatives for being conservative. Its not about the senseless slaughter of innocents; it is about Republicans and Democrats.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
SS/Veteran

I've owned many guns since I was 14 - rifles, shotguns, pistols. I see no logical reason for anyone to own a rifle or shotgun with more amunition capacity than 5 shots or a pistol with a magazine holding more than 6 rounds. I also agree with background checks on purchasers of any rifle, shotgun or pistol purchased anywhere.
BillH
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I agree with background checks, banning assault weopons, limited purchases, but government never knows what it is doing, never knows when to stop. They more likely pass something stupid that makes the law-abiding victim while the bad guys do what they want. I distrust liberals whose true mission is to punish conservatives for being conservative. Its not about the senseless slaughter of innocents; it is about Republicans and Democrats.
And how would you define "assault weapons"?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
I've owned many guns since I was 14 - rifles, shotguns, pistols. I see no logical reason for anyone to own a rifle or shotgun with more amunition capacity than 5 shots or a pistol with a magazine holding more than 6 rounds. I also agree with background checks on purchasers of any rifle, shotgun or pistol purchased anywhere.
BillH
The Colt 1911 .45 ACP holds seven rounds so that is out under your rule. It has only served for over a hundred years, made in several variations used now for competition.
Gone again under your rule is any tubular magazine .22 LR'
Gone is the Ruger 10 22 which has produced more the 2 million of them.

Why can't people think out of the box that the problems in our society are not about the tools but so easily led by the media. Why does Hitler's rise to power in the 30's come to mind?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Your right, Merl, part of the problem is the people who would take out certain guns don't care who they hurt because deep down they do not care. They don't care because, after all, they would only be hurting "conservatives" which is their real mission. The gun issue has the potential to fragment our society way beyond preventing the pointless slaughter of children. This is a very scary time, scarier than many realize.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
SS/Veteran

I think it was Nikita Khrushchev (one of many) who said that the United States will be destroyed from within.

Now that is scary to me, and I wonder if he had a cystal ball and try not to think to much on it.