Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Stupid, Non-Fishing, Odds and Ends ...

I don't know of any tricks but I was recently given some sausage by someone and it was awful. I can only say that bad expereinces with venison in any form have to point to efforts to utilize marginal body parts or poor temperature storage. I hear things from people that imply poor policies. for instance, when people fear venison you have to know they cooked the bejabbers out of it. I will admit that our sausage is not very "sausagie". It is lean and does not have overbearing contents. In a pound of combined ground pork/or sausage, a quarter tee of fennel, a quarter tee of coriender, 1/4 tee of chili powder and liberal sprinkling of salt. Meat is 1/3 Breakfast sausage and 2/3 ground venison. It even smells and looks like burger when cooked. Again, you don't have to be a cowboy to eat at my house. Our habits, in the kitchen at least, are very straight.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Hey Frank,
Thought you might find this interesting, Growing up we always had a deer camp, my dad doesnt hunt so we never did either. My uncle on the other hand does.
I hadn't been up there in years, I went up there last weekend and my cousin has built a sanctioned with fish and game a deer habitat. he planted about
a dozen apple trees and cleared over a acre of woods, (we use that to pay the taxes) Looks pretty good to me, not that I know all that much about deer. It has a clearing and apples and a pond, I am guessing they will like it.

I guess the hunting has been pretty scarce the past few years, hopefully this draws them to the area. I am headed up this weekend to throw another coat of paint on her. I think this one is from 1983.

Thats the first time I have been able to see any kind of view, with this bringing in some wild life its looking like not a bad place to hang out.

I know there is mice thats for sure....

just click on the links or copu and paste into the browser..

http://muskrat.middlebury.edu/witt/Real/camp2.jpg

http://muskrat.middlebury.edu/witt/Real/camp4.jpg

http://muskrat.middlebury.edu/witt/Real/campclearing 2.jpg

http://muskrat.middlebury.edu/witt/R...mpclearing.jpg

http://muskrat.middlebury.edu/witt/Real/campview.jpg

I might mow it as well
Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Nice pics Iamsaws!

Frank,
A question on the sausage. Do you just make it into bulk, or stuff it into casings? Is the use of pork sausage a short cut to doing less seasoning? I know venison has very little fat. I was given some steaks years ago, and a guy I work with who hunts, told me to wrap a piece of bacon around them before grilling. They turned out fine. Why the pork sausage, instead of ground pork?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I could answer that one easy but you asked Frank.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:11 PM

I was doing the ground pork but for a quarter per pound more, I could have flavors that come with sausage. Yes, Rags, the issue of dealing with no fat is the challenge in venison. Merlin, just drink your beer.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Regarding sausage--There are many ways of making it and some are great for your taste and others you might not favor. The ingredients of course are meat (in this case venison) a fat (beef or pork) and spices (amounts and ingredients are all over the board). Back to square one there are two types of sausage, breakfast and links. Breakfast is simply paddies that you make from ground previously mentioned ingredients and links require a special machine with either "natural casing" or some other. All of this info applies to hot dogs, sausage and kielbasa. Now each manufacture has there own special ingredients with special proportions to standardize their presented to the public offering.
Now with venison or any wild game it is important to trim the yellow fat off the meat. Yellow fat is the gamie taste often associated with wild animals. This is also true with bovine (beef) that have been out on pasture. That is why they have corn fed feed lots in part. Of course if you deer has been feeding on a corn field you are home free.

Frank: I need another beer now--run a tab and we will settle up later!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Thanks for the answers. I know about the different types of sausage, and how they are made. I was just curious as to why using sausage meat, instead of just ground pork would make a difference. Sounds like a matter of taste, or just a short cut. It works for the maker, thats all that matters. For dinner tonite, I'm making franks (beef and pork), with natural casings.When grilled, they pop from the skins, and when you bite into them, they have a nice "snap" to them. A little onion sauce, some mustard, fresh roll, life doesn't get any better...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM

We don't bother with the sausage casings, just patties. Merlin is right about the fat on deer. Bbbbut, Merlin, do you drink your beer out of a bottle? I hate that. It is so barbaric.

I'm still at the Internet cafe and high speed Internet is a gas. WE just ordered it for our new PC which is being reloaded with a more recent version of XP and hope to be on-line at home tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Now let's talk jerky. Years ago I made up a batch which was very labor intentsive (because I did not have the right tools) but what a treat to have a stock pile of it for snacks.
Next bear or deer that vapor locks in front of me and I am going to gear up with a meat slicer and dryer.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 PM

By the time you get the makins for jerky, the techonology will have changed. The other night I met a chick who said she knew you and she said you were boring.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 AM

We are up and running with high speed Internet. Is this what my old girl friend met when she called me a Massachusetts Minuteman?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
SS/Veteran

W A R!!!!---and I met a girlfriend of yours that said:

and the minuteman line:
Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 PM

If you met any of my old girl friends, notice how bow-legged they be. That ain't from horseback riding. So shut up Merl.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 PM

You guys missed a lot of the fun today when you failed to get a colinoscopy . Worse, it was when I had one of my best tides I woke up during it and got to watch the last of it. But tonight I'm going to get the second best night .
Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM
SS/Veteran

You are in luck it is cucumber season!--you one kinky dude!, stay away from my daughter or at least do not kiss and tell!